- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Survival Time of Cholangiocarcinoma Patients: A Prospective Study in Northeast Thailand
- Woradet, Somkiattiyos (Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Public Health, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Promthet, Supannee (Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Public Health, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Songserm, Nopparat (Department of Community Health, Faculty of Public Health, Ubon Ratchathani Rajabhat University) ;
- Parkin, Donald Maxwell (Clinical Trial Service Unit & Epidemiological Studies Unit, University of Oxford)
- Published : 2013.03.30
Cholangiocarcinoma (CCA) is a major health problem and cause of death among people in Northeastern Thailand. In this prospective study 171 patients newly diagnosed with CCA by physicians in 5 tertiary hospitals in four provinces of northeastern of Thailand between February and July 2011 were followed up to January 2012. The outcome was survival time from diagnosis to death. A total of 758.4 person-months of follow-up were available. The mortality rate was 16.9 per 100 person-months (95%CI: 14.1-20.1). The median survival time among CCA patients was 4.3 months (95%CI: 3.3-5.1). Cox's proportional hazard model was used to study the independent effects of factors affecting survival time among patients. Statistically significant factors included advanced stage at diagnosis (HR: 2.5, 95%CI: 1.7-3.8), presentation with jaundice (HR: 1.7, 95%CI: 1.1-2.4) or ascites (HR: 2.8, 95%CI: 1.8-4.4), and positive serum carcinoembryonic antigen (HR: 2.3, 95%CI: 1.2-4.3). Patients who had received standard treatment had a better prognosis that those who did not (HR: 0.5, 95%CI: 0.3-0.7).
- Blechacz B, Gores GJ (2008). Cholangiocarcinoma: advances in pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment. Hepatology, 48, 308-21.
- Bunsiripaiboon P, Sornmayura P, Wilasrusmee C, Lertsithichai P (2010). The prognostic significance of microvessel density in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. J Med Assoc Thai, 93, 66-72.
- Cheng Q, Luo X, Zhang B, et al (2007). Predictive factors for prognosis of hilar cholangiocarcinoma: postresection radiotherapy improves survival. Eur J Surg Oncol, 33, 202-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2006.09.033
- Cho SY, Park SJ, Kim SH, et al (2010). Survival analysis of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma after resection. Ann Surg Oncol, 17, 1823-30. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-010-0938-y
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Guglielmi A, Ruzzenente A, Campagnaro T, et al (2009). Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: prognostic factors after surgical resection. World J Surg, 33, 1247-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-009-9970-0
- Hamidi M, Moody JS, Kozak KR (2010). Refusal of radiation therapy and its associated impact on survival. Am J Clin Oncol, 33, 629-32. https://doi.org/10.1097/COC.0b013e3181d270ce
- Hasegawa S, Ikai I, Fujii H, Hatano E, Shimahara Y (2007). Surgical resection of hilar cholangiocarcinoma: analysis of survival and postoperative complications. World J Surg, 31, 1256-63.
- Kamsa-ard S, Wiangnon S, Suwanrungruang K, et al (2011). Trends in liver cancer incidence between 1985 and 2009, Khon Kaen, Thailand: cholangiocarcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2209-13.
- Knuppel M, Kubicka S, Vogel A, et al (2012). Combination of conservative and interventional therapy strategies for intra- and extrahepatic cholangiocellular carcinoma: a retrospective survival analysis. Gastroenterol Res Pract, 19, 7-8.
- Li H, Qin Y, Cui Y, et al (2011). Analysis of the surgical outcome and prognostic factors for hilar cholangiocarcinoma: a Chinese experience. Dig Surg, 28, 226-31. https://doi.org/10.1159/000327361
- Mihalache F, Tantau M, Diaconu B, Acalovschi M (2010). Survival and quality of life of cholangiocarcinoma patients:a prospective study over a 4 year period. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis, 19, 285-90.
- Murakami Y, Uemura K, Sudo T, et al (2011). Prognostic factors after surgical resection for intrahepatic, hilar, and distal cholangiocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol, 18, 651-8. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-010-1325-4
- Nakagohri T, Kinoshita T, Konishi M, Takahashi S, Gotohda N (2008). Surgical outcome and prognostic factors in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. World J Surg, 32, 2675-80. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-008-9778-3
- Nuzzo G, Giuliante F, Ardito F, et al (2010). Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: prognostic factors after liver resection. Updates Surg, 62, 11-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13304-010-0007-x
- Park J, Kim MH, Kim KP, et al (2009). Natural history and prognostic factors of advanced cholangiocarcinoma without surgery, chemotherapy, or radiotherapy: a large-scale observational study. Gut Liver, 3, 298-305. https://doi.org/10.5009/gnl.2009.3.4.298
- Parkin DM, Ohshima H, Srivatanakul P, Vatanasapt V (1993). Cholangiocarcinoma: epidemiology, mechanisms of carcinogenesis and prevention. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 2, 537-44.
- Pattanathien P, Khuntikeo N, Promthet S, Kamsa-ard S (2013). Survival rate of extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma patients after surgical treatment in Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 321-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.321
- Sriamporn S, Black RJ, Sankaranarayanan R, et al (1995). Cancer survival in Khon Kaen Province, Thailand. Int J Cancer, 61, 296-300. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910610303
- Sriplung H, Sontipong S, Martin N, et al (2005). Cancer incidence in Thailand, 1995-1997. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 276-81.
- Sriputtha S, Khuntikeo N, Promthet S, Kamsa-ard S (2013) Survival rate of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma patients after surgical treatment in Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1107-10. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.1107
- Vatanasapt V, Martin N, Sriplung H, et al (1995). Cancer incidence in Thailand, 1988-1991. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 4, 475-83.
- Vatanasapt V, Tangvoraphonkchai V, Titapant V, et al (1990). A high incidence of liver cancer in Khon Kaen province, Thailand. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Hlth, 21, 489-94.
- Verkooijen HM, Fioretta GM, Rapiti E, et al (2005). Patients' refusal of surgery strongly impairs breast cancer survival. Ann Surg, 242, 276-80. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.sla.0000171305.31703.84
- Yun YH, Lee MK, Park SM, et al (2012). Effect of complementary and alternative medicine on the survival and health-related quality of life among terminally ill cancer patients: a prospective cohort study. Ann Oncol, 24, 489-94.
- Yusoff AR, Razak MM, Yoong BK, Vijeyasingam R, Siti ZM (2012). Survival analysis of cholangiocarcinoma: a 10-year experience in Malaysia. World J Gastroenterol, 18, 458-65. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v18.i5.458
- Analysis of Different Ways of Drainage for Obstructive Jaundice Caused by Hilar Cholangiocarcinoma vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5617
- Survival Analysis of Biliary Tract Cancer Cases in Turkey vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6025
- Health-Related Quality of Life and Survival of Cholangiocarcinoma Patients in Northeastern Region of Thailand vol.11, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0163448
- High expression of apoptosis-inducing factor, mitochondrion-associated 3 (AIFM3) in human cholangiocarcinoma vol.37, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-016-5204-x
- Evaluating a preoperative protocol that includes magnetic resonance imaging for lymph node metastasis in the Cholangiocarcinoma Screening and Care Program (CASCAP) in Thailand vol.15, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12957-017-1246-9
- A significant cancer burden and high mortality of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in Thailand: a nationwide database study vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12876-016-0565-6