- Volume 2 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Occurrence of Brown Patch on Kentucky Bluegrass Caused by Rhizoctonia solani AG-1 IB
Rhizoctonia solani AG-1 IB에 의한 Kentucky Bluegrass 갈색잎마름병 발생
- Chang, Taehyun (Plant Resources and Environment Major, College of Ecology & Environmental Sciences, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Lee, Yong Se (Division of Life and Environmental Science, Daegu University)
- Received : 2013.02.15
- Accepted : 2013.03.11
- Published : 2013.03.31
Brown patch caused by Rhizoctonia solani AG-1 IB occurred on Kentucky bluegrass during late May through early October 2010 at golf course in Gyeongbuk Province, Korea. Disease symptoms on the turfgrass for spring season were leaf blights dying from the leaf tip, which appeared patches of brown color in the field. However, it appeared patches of dark brown color or gray brown color in fall. The fungus (B-7 isolate) of brown patch was isolated from the diseased leaf tissue and cultured on potato-dextrose agar (PDA) for identification. The young hyphae had acute angular branching and few septa and mature hyphal branches showed about 90-degree angles and development of monilioid cells, which were morphologically identical to Rhizoctonia solani AG-1 IB reported previously. DNA sequences of ribosomal RNA gene (internal transcribed spacer) of the fungus were homologous with similarity of 99% to those of Rhizoctonia solani AG-1 IB isolates in GenBank database, confirming the identity of the causal agent of the disease. Pathogenicity of the fungus was also confirmed on the creeping bentgrass and Kentucky bluegrass by Koch's postulates. This is the first report of brown patch on Kentucky bluegrass caused by Rhizoctonia solani AG-1 IB in Korea.
Rhizoctonia solani AG-1 IB에 의한 갈색잎마름병(brown patch)이 경북 청도에 있는 골프장에서 2010년 5월 하순과 10월 초순에 Kentucky bluegrass에서 발생하였다. 봄철에 발병증상은 잎끝과 잎이 마르는 증상이 갈색의 patch 형태로 나타났다. 하지만, 가을철에는 검은 갈색과 회갈색의 patch 모양으로 나타났다. 갈색잎마름병의 곰팡이는 병든 잎에서 분리를 하였으며, 동정을 위하여 PDA에서 배양하였다. 어린 균사는 분지각이 좁은 형태와 격막이 있었고, 분지각이
Supported by : KNU
- Burpee, L. and Martin, B. 1992. Biology of Rhizoctonia species associated with turfgrass. Plant Dis. 76:112-117. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-76-0112
- Chang, T.H. and Lee, Y.S. 2010. Occurrence of brown patch disease and turfgrass survival of cool season turfgras cultivar in species during summer season. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 24(2):117-124. (In Korean)
- Chang, T.H. 2011. Difference of susceptibility on bentgrass cultivars to pink snow mold caused by Microdochium nivale. Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 25(2):177-183.
- Couch, H.B. 1985. Turfgrass (several cultivated spp.). Plant Dis. 69:672-675.
- Hurd, B. and Grisham, M.P. 1983. Rhizoctonia spp. Associated with brown patch of Saint Augustinegrass. Phytopathology 73:1661-1665. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-73-1661
- Kim, W.G., Shim, G.Y., Cho, W.D. and Lee, Y.H. 1991. Anastomsis groups and pathogenicity of Rhizoctonia solani isolates casuing Rhizoctonia blight of turfgrass. Korean J. Plant Pathol. 7(4):257-259.
- Kim, W.G. 1996. Pathogenicity of anastomosis groups and cultural types of Rhizoctonia solani isolates on crops. Korean J. Plant Pathol. 12:21-32.
- Hong, S.B., Go, S.J., Ryu, J.C., Kim, W.G. and Kim, I.S. 1998. Differentiation of intraspecific groups within Korean isolates of Rhizoctonia solani using PCR-RFLP of ribosomal DNA. Korean J. Plant Pathol. 14:157-163. (In Korean)
- Kim, W.G., Cho, W.D. and Lee, Y.H. 1994. Anastomosis groups and cultural characteristics of Rhizoctonia solani isolates from crops in Korea. Kor. J. Mycol. 22:309-324.
- Jeon, Y.A., Kim, W.G., Kim, D.H., Kwon, S.W. and Hong, S.B. 2010. Taxonomic position of Korean isolates of Rhizoctonia solani based on RAPD and ITS sequencing of ribosomal DNA. Plant Pathol. J. 26(1):83-89. https://doi.org/10.5423/PPJ.2010.26.1.083
- Martin, S.B., Campbell, C.L. and Lucas, L.T. 1983. Horizontal distribution and characterization of Rhizoctonia spp. in tall fescue turf. Phytopathology 73:1064-1068.
- Martin, S.B. and Lucas, L.T. 1983. Pathogenicity of Rhizoctonia zeae on tall fescue and other turfgrass. Plant Dis. 67:676-678. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-67-676
- Martin, S.B. and Lucas, L.T. 1984. Characterization and pathogenicity of Rhizoctonia spp. and binucleate Rhizoctonia- like fungi from turfgrass in North Carolina. Phytopathology 74:170-175. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-74-170
- Ogoshi, A. 1985. Anastomosis and intraspecific groups of Rhizoctonia solani and binucleate Rhizoctonia spp. Fitopatol. Bras. 10:372-390.
- Ogoshi, A. 1987. Ecology and pathogenicity of anastomosis and intraspecific groups of Rhizoctonia solani Kuhn. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 25:125-143. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.py.25.090187.001013
- Oniki, M., Kobayashi, K., Araki, T. and Ogoshi, A. 1986. A new disease of turfgrass caused by binucleate Rhizoctonia AG-Q. Ann. Pathopathol. Soc. Jpn. 52:850-853. https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.52.850
- Parmeter, J.R. Jr., Whitney, H.S. and Platt, W.D. 1967. Affinities of some Rhizoctonia species that resemble mycelium of thanatephorus cucumeris. Phytopathology 57:218-223.
- Shim, G.Y., Min, G.Y., Shin, H.D. and Lee, H.J. 2001, Ocureence of fungicide resistance isolate caused by Sclerotinia homoeocarpa. Kor. J. Turfgrass sci. 15:1-8. (In Korean)
- Shurtleff, M.C. 1953. Brown patch of turf caused by Rhizoctonia solani. Ph.D. thesis. University of Minnesota, St. Paul.USA. p.177.
- Smiley, R.W., Dernoeden, P.H. and Clarke, B.B. 1992. Compendium of Turfgrass Diseases. 2nd ed. American Phytopathological Society, St. Paul, MN.
- Sneh, B., Zeidan, M., Ichielevich-Auster, M., Barash, I. and Koltin, Y. 1986. Increased growth responses induced by nonpathogenic Rhizoctonia solani. Can. J. Bot. 64:2372-2378. https://doi.org/10.1139/b86-313
- Tamura, K., Dudley, J., Nei, M. and Kumar, S. 2007. MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1596-1599. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msm092
- Thompson, J.D., Higgins, D.G. and Gibson, T.J. 1994. CLUSTAL W: Improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucl. Acids Res. 22:4673-4680. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/22.22.4673
- Vargas, J.M. 1994. Management of Turfgrass Diseases. 2nd ed. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, FL.
- White, T.J., Bruns, T.D., Lee, S. and Taylor, J.W. 1990. Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. pp. 315-322. Academic Press, New York, USA.
- Watschke, T.L., Dernoeden, P.H. and Shetlar, D.J. 1995. Managing Turfgrass Pests. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, FL.
- Yang, X.B., Berggren, G.T. and Snow, J.P. 1990. Types of Rhizoctonia foliar blight on soybean in Louisiana. Plant Dis. 74:501-504. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-74-0501
- Zarlengo, P.J., Rothrock, C.S. and King, J.W. 1994. Influence of shading on the response of tall fescue cultivars to Rhizoctonia solani AG1-IA. Plant Dis. 78(2):126-129. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-78-0126
- Response of Systemic Fungicides of Rhizoctonia spp. Causing Rhizoctonia Blight on Turfgrass vol.2, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5660/WTS.2013.2.4.387
- Promotion of growth and biocontrol of brown patch disease by inoculation of Paenibacillus ehimensis KWN38 in bentgrass vol.56, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13580-015-0109-y
- Occurrence of Pythium Blight Caused by Pythium aphanidermatum on Chewing Fescue vol.2, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5660/WTS.2013.2.3.306
- First Report of Waitea Ring Patch caused by Waitea circinata on Zoysiagrass vol.3, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5660/WTS.2014.3.4.378