- Volume 14 Issue 2
Many researchers and developers take a greater interest on the LOD AI techniques as users demand more elaborate and sophisticated game AI in recent years. However, contrary to the traditional geometry LOD, existing LOD AI techniques can be used only to a limited extent. Therefore, in this paper, I propose an LOD AI technique, which uses HSM(Hierarchical State Machine) and the Lua script language as the method to control game objects. Using the proposed approach, we can easily produce multilevel AI models for LOD and design various objects without hard-coding state machines. Moreover, in order to show the effectiveness of the presented technique, this paper exemplifies the results of the efficiency test through the prototype engine.
Supported by : 동의대학교
- H. Hoppe, "Progressive meshes," Proceedings of the 23rd annual conference on Computer Graphics and interactive techniques, pp. 99-108, 1996.
- H. Hoppe, "Smooth View-Dependent Level-of-Detail Control and Its Application to Terrain Rendering," Ninth IEEE Visualization, pp. 35-42, 1998.
- D. A. Carlson and J. K. Hodgins, "Simulation Levels of Detail for Real-time Animation," Proceedings of Graphics Interface 1997, pp. 1-8, 1997.
- S. Chenney.: Simulation Level-Of-Detail. In: GDC (2001), http://www.cs.wisc.edu/-schenney/research/culling/chenney-gdc2001.pdf [6-3-2007]
- C. O'Sullivan et al., "Levels of Detail for Crowds and Groups," Computer Graphics Forum, 21(4), pp. 733-741, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8659.00631
- C. Brom, O. Sery, and T. Poch, "Simulation Level of Detail for Virtual Humans," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 4277, 1-14, 2007.
- J. Beaudoin and J. Keyser, "Simulation levels of detail for plant motion," Proceedings of the 2004 ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics symposium on Computer animation, pp. 297-304, 2004.
- D. Harel, On Visual Formalism, Communication of ACM, 31(5), pp. 514-530, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1145/42411.42414
- J. Seo, G. J. Kim, and K. C. Kang, "Levels of Detail(LOD) Engineering of VR Objects," Proceedings of the ACM symposium on Virtual reality software and technology, pp. 104-110, 1999.
- J. Seo and J. Youn, "Study on Statecharts-based Progressive Behavior LOD Model for Virtual Objects," Journal of Digital Contents Society, 12(2), pp. 185 -194, 2011. https://doi.org/10.9728/dcs.2011.12.2.185
- M. Buckland, Programming Game AI by Example, Wordware Publising, Inc., Texas, 2004.