- Volume 29 Issue 2
The characteristics of dental treatment makes the dental staff frequently contact with patient directly. Also the daily use of high-handpieces, sharp instruments, and needles often causes bleeding on oral cavity. Therefore, the risk of cross transmission grows up. The pathogen from dental practice could spread on not only the practice itself but also the dental laboratory with contaminated impressions and prosthesis. Dental clinic staffs (dentists, dental hygienists and dental technicians) should recognize all the patients have a possibility of cross contamination, and try to prevent the transmission of infection by proper infection control. In this study, we review the articles about disinfection methods and chemical infection agents used for dental impressions, and try to figure out the suitable and effective infection control system of dental impressions.
infection control;dental impression;disinfectant
- Kohn WG, Collins AS, Cleveland JL et al.; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Guidelines for infection control in dental health-care settings--2003. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2003;52 (RR-17):1-61.
- Goebel WM. Reliability of the medical history in identifying patients likely to place dentists at an increased hepatitis risk. J Am Dent Assoc. 1979;98: 907-13. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1979.0192
- Triantos D, Pantazopoulos I. Provision of dental services in a dedicated clinic for HIV infected people in Greece. Community Dent Health. 2007;24:181-5.
- Marks G, Crepaz N, Senterfitt JW, Janssen RS. Meta-analysis of high-risk sexual behavior in persons aware and unaware they are infected with HIV in the United States: implications for HIV prevention programs. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2005;39: 446-53. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.qai.0000151079.33935.79
- http://www.cdc.go.kr/CDC/health/CdcKrHealth0101. jsp?menuIds=HOME001-MNU0001-MNU0746-MNU 0753&fid=769&cid=18011
- Shaw FE Jr, Barrett CL, Hamm R et al. Lethal outbreak of hepatitis B in a dental practice. JAMA. 1986;255:3260-4. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1986.03370230066032
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Updatetransmission of HIV infection during an invasive dental procedure-Florida. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1991;40:21-7, 33.
- Redd JT, Baumbach J, Kohn W et al. Patient-topatient transmission of hepatitis B virus associated with oral surgery. J Infect Dis. 2007;195:1311-4. https://doi.org/10.1086/513435
- Connor C. Cross-contamination control in prosthodontic practice. Int J Prosthodont. 1991;4:337-44.
- Kohn WG, Collins AS, Cleveland JL et al.; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Guidelines for infection control in dental health-care settings--2003. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004;53:154-7
- ADA Council on Scientific Affairs and ADA Council on Dental Practice. Infection control recommendations for the dental office and the dental laboratory. J Am Dent Assoc. 1996;127:672-80 https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1996.0280
- Leung RL, Schonfeld SE. Gypsum casts as a potential source of microbial cross-contamination. J Prosthet Dent. 1983;49:210-1. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(83)90503-6
- Rowe AH, Forrest JO. Dental impressions. The probability of contamination and a method of disinfection. Br Dent J. 1978;145:184-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4804140
- McNeill MR, Coulter WA, Hussey DL. Disinfection of irreversible hydrocolloid impressions: a comparative study. Int J Prosthodont. 1992;5:563-7.
- Haralur SB, Al-Dowah OS, Gana NS, Al-Hytham A. Effect of alginate chemical disinfection on bacterial count over gypsum cast. J Adv Prosthodont. 2012;4: 84-8. https://doi.org/10.4047/jap.2012.4.2.84
- Al-Jabrah O, Al-Shumailan Y, Al-Rashdan M. Antimicrobial effect of 4 disinfectants on alginate, polyether, and polyvinyl siloxane impression materials. Int J Prosthodont. 2007;20:299-307
- Beyerle MP, Hensley DM, Bradley DV Jr et al. Immersion disinfection of irreversible hydrocolloid impressions with sodium hypochlorite. Part I: Microbiology. Int J Prosthodont. 1994;7:234-8
- Katberg JW Jr. Cross-contamination via the prosthodontic laboratory. J Prosthet Dent. 1974;32:412-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(74)90350-3
- Wakefield CW. Laboratory contamination of dental prostheses. J Prosthet Dent. 1980;44:143-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(80)90125-0
- Runnells RR. An overview of infection control in dental practice. J Prosthet Dent. 1988;59:625-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(88)90083-2
- Nassar U, Aziz T, Flores-Mir C. Dimensional stability of irreversible hydrocolloid impression materials as a function of pouring time: a systematic review. J Prosthet Dent. 2011;106:126-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(11)60108-X
- Rosenstiel SF, Land MF, Fujimoto J. Diagnostic casts and related procedures. in: Contemporary fixed prosthodontics. 4th ed. St. Louis: Mosby;2006:44-5.
- Rudd KD, Morrow RM, Bange AA. Accurate casts. J Prosthet Dent. 1969 ;21:545-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(69)90078-X
- Anusavice KJ. Phillips' Science od Dental materials. 11th ed. Saunders. 2003.
- Erbe C, Ruf S, Wöstmann B, Balkenhol M. Dimensional stability of contemporary irreversible hydrocolloids: humidor versus wet tissue storage. J Prosthet Dent. 2012 ;108:114-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(12)60117-6
- Williams PT, Jackson DG, Bergman W. An evaluation of the time-dependent dimensional stability of eleven elastomeric impression materials. J Prosthet Dent. 1984 ;52:120-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(84)90194-X
- Imbery TA, Nehring J, Janus C, Moon PC. Accuracy and dimensional stability of extended-pour and conventional alginate impression materials. J Am Dent Assoc. 2010 ;141:32-9. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2010.0018
- Petrie CS, Walker MP, O'mahony AM, Spencer P. Dimensional accuracy and surface detail reproduction of two hydrophilic vinyl polysiloxane impression materials tested under dry, moist, and wet conditions. J Prosthet Dent. 2003;90:365-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(03)00515-8
- Naylor WP. Infection control in fixed prosthodontics. Dent Clin North Am. 1992 ;36:809-31.
- Merchant VA. Infection control and prosthodontics. J Calif Dent Assoc. 1989 ;17:49-53.
- Tan HK, Hooper PM, Buttar IA, Wolfaardt JF. Effects of disinfecting irreversible hydrocolloid impressions on the resultant gypsum casts: Part IIIDimensional changes. J Prosthet Dent. 1993;70:532-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(93)90267-R
- Bergman B, Bergman M, Olsson S. Alginate impression materials, dimensional stability and surface detail sharpness following treatment with disinfectant solutions. Swed Dent J. 1985;9:255-62.
- Boden J, Likeman P, Clark R. Some effects of disinfecting solutions on the properties of alginate impression material and dental stone. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent. 2001;9:131-5.
- Matyas J, Dao N, Caputo AA, Lucatorto FM. Effects of disinfectants on dimensional accuracy of impression materials. J Prosthet Dent. 1990;64:25-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(90)90148-6
- Rios MP, Morgano SM, Stein RS, Rose L. Effects of chemical disinfectant solutions on the stability and accuracy of the dental impression complex. J Prosthet Dent. 1996 ;76:356-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(96)90538-7
- Johnson GH, Drennon DG, Powell GL. Accuracy of elastomeric impressions disinfected by immersion. J Am Dent Assoc. 1988 Apr;116(4):525-30 https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1988.0307
- Kotsiomiti E, Tzialla A, Hatjivasiliou K. Accuracy and stability of impression materials subjected to chemical disinfection - a literature review. J Oral Rehabil. 2008 ;35:291-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2007.01771.x
- Look JO, Clay DJ, Gong K, Messer HH. Preliminary results from disinfection of irreversible hydrocolloid impressions. J Prosthet Dent. 1990;63:701-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(90)90329-B
- Schwartz RS, Bradley DV Jr, Hilton TJ, Kruse SK. Immersion disinfection of irreversible hydrocolloid impressions. Part 1: Microbiology. Int J Prosthodont. 1994 ;7:418-23.
- Rutala WA, Weber DJ. Modern advances in disinfection, sterilization, and medical waste management in Wenzel RP. Prevention and Control of Nosocomial Infections. 4th ed. 2003.
Supported by : 원광대학교