- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Iron Extraction Characteristics of Sediment Samples from a River Bank Filtration Site
강변 여과 취수 지역 퇴적물의 철 화학종 추출 특성
- Received : 2013.06.10
- Accepted : 2013.06.25
- Published : 2013.06.30
River bank filtration has been considered as a promising alternative water management scheme, in which groundwater is extracted from an aquifer near a river after infiltration of the river water into the aquifer, thereby improving and maintaining the quality of water recovered. Iron (Fe) associated with sediment in contact with groundwater and infiltrating surface water is an important factor in determining the quality of water recovered from the pumping wells in river bank filtration. This study reports the results of Fe speciation in the aquifer sediment samples collected from different depths at the river bank filtration site in Changwon, studied using four different chemical extraction methods, namely, ferrozine, oxalate, HCl, and DCB methods. Overall, the results show that Fe(II) as well as the total Fe content decreases with depth down to ~20 m and then increases further below. This trend is consistent with the redox characteristics suggested by visual observation. The silt/clay size fraction (
river bank filtration;sediment;iron mineralogy;chemical extraction;groundwater
- van Beek, C., Breedveld, R., and Stuyfzand, P. (2009) Preventing two types of well clogging. Journal of American Water Works Association, 101, 125-134.
- von Gunten, H.R. and Kull, T.P. (1986) Infiltration of inorganic compounds from the Glatt River, Switzerland, into a groundwater aquifer. Water Air Soil Pollution, 29, 333-346. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00158764
- Williams, R.B. and Culp, G.L. (1986) Handbook of public water system, Culp/Wesner, 633-644.
- Hiscock, K.M. and Grischek, T. (2002) Attenuation of groundwater pollution by bank filtration. Journal of Hydrology, 266, 139-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(02)00158-0
- Hyun, S.H., Woo, N.C., Shin, W.S., and Hamm, S.-Y. (2006) Characteristics of groundwater quality in riverbank filtration area. The Korean Society of Economic and Environmental Geology, 39, 151-162.
- Kim, G.-Y., Koh, Y.K., Kim, C.S., Kim, H.-S., and Kim, S.-Y. (2003) Geochemical study on the alluvial aquifer system of the Nakdong River for the estimation of river bank filtration. The Journal of Engineering Geology, 13, 83-105.
- Kim, H.-S. (2004) Sustainable development of groundwater and artificial recharge & International Symposium on Artificial Recharge of Groundwater, 3-29.
- Komlos, J. and Jaffe, P.R. (2004) Effect of iron bio-availability on dissolved hydrogen concentrations during microbial iron reduction. Biodegradation, 15, 315-325. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:BIOD.0000042187.31072.60
- Komlos, J., Peacock, A., Kukkadapu, R.K., and Jaffe, P.R. (2008) Long-term dynamics of uranium reduction/reoxidation under low sulfate conditions. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 72, 3603-3615. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2008.05.040
- Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources (2012) Development of integrated core technologies in aquifer recharge system for groundwater sustainability.
- Kuehn, W. and Mueller, U. (2000) Riverbank filtration an overview. Journal of American Water Works Association, December, 60-69.
- Kukkadapu, R.K., Zachara, J.M., Fredrickson, J.K., McKinley, J.P., Kennedy, D.W., Smith, S.C., and Dong, H. (2006) Reductive biotransformation of Fe in shale-limestone saprolite containing Fe(III) oxides and Fe(II)/Fe(III) phyllosilicates. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 70, 3662-3676. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2006.05.004
- K-water (1996) Study on the improvement of water quality using bank-filtration in Geum river.
- Lovley, D.R. and Phillips, E.J.P. (1987) Rapid assay for microbially reducible ferric iron in aquatic sediments. Applied and Envrionmental Microbiology, 53, 1536-1540.
- Mehra, O.P. and Jackson, M.L. (1960) Iron oxide removal from soils and clays by a dithionite-citrate system buffered with sodium bicarbonate. Clays and Clay Minerals, 7, 317-327.
- Na, H.Y. and Kwon, D.Y. (2011) Study on the water quality of bank filtration depending on soil characteristics. The Journal of Soil and Groundwater Environment, 16, 19-26.
- Schwertmann, U. (1973) Use of oxalate for Fe extraction from soils. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, 53, 244-246. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjss73-037
- Stookey, L.L. (1970) Ferrozine-a new spectrophotometic reagent for iron. Analytical Chemistry, 42, 779-781. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60289a016
- Tufenkji, N., Ryan, J.N., and Elimelech, M. (2002) The promise of bank filtration: A simple technology may inexpensively clean up poor-quality raw surface water. Environmental Science and Technology, 36, 422A-428A. https://doi.org/10.1021/es022441j
- van Beek, C. (1984) Restoring well yield in the Netherlands. Journal of American Water Works Association, 76, 66-72.
- Anderson, R.T., Rooney-Varga, J.N., Gaw, C.V., and Lovley, D.R. (1998) Anaerobic benzene oxidation in the Fe(III) reduction zone of petroleum contaminated aquifers. Environmental Science and Technology, 32, 1222-1229. https://doi.org/10.1021/es9704949
- Chao, T.T. and Zhou, L. (1983) Extraction techniques for selective dissolution of amorphous iron oxides from soils and sediments. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 47, 225-232. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1983.03615995004700020010x
- Choi, B.-Y., Yun, S.-T., Kim, K,-H., Koh, Y,-K., and Kim, K.J. (2007) Removal of dissolved Iron in groundwater by injection-and-pumping technique: Application of reactive transport modeling. Journal of Soil and Groundwater Environment, 12, 29-37.
- Farnsworth, C.E. and Hering, J.G. (2011) Inorganic geochemistry and redox dynamics in bank filtration settings. Environmental Science and Technology, 45, 5079-5087. https://doi.org/10.1021/es2001612
- Hamm, S.-Y., Cheong, J.-Y., Ryu, S.M., Kim, M.J., and Kim, H.-S. (2002) Hydrogeological characteristics of bank storage area in Daesan-myeon, Changwon City, Korea. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, 38, 595-610. (in Korean with English abstract).
- Analytical Evaluation of Interference and Ratio of River Water at Riverbank Filtration Pumping Wells vol.47, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2014.47.8.685
- Evaluating Effects of Membrane Filter Pore Sizes on Determination of Dissolved Concentrations of Major Elements in Groundwater and Surface Water Near Nakdong River vol.20, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7857/JSGE.2015.20.4.031
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원