- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Benzochloroporphyrin Derivative Induced Cytotoxicity and Inhibition of Tumor Recurrence During Photodynamic Therapy for Osteosarcoma
- Gong, Hai-Yang (Musculoskeletal Oncology Center, Shanghai Tenth People's Hospital, Tongji University, School of Medicine) ;
- Sun, Meng-Xiong (Musculoskeletal Oncology Center, Shanghai Tenth People's Hospital, Tongji University, School of Medicine) ;
- Hu, Shuo (Musculoskeletal Oncology Center, Shanghai Tenth People's Hospital, Tongji University, School of Medicine) ;
- Tao, Ying-Ying (Department of Pharmacology, Jinling Hospital) ;
- Gao, Bo (Musculoskeletal Oncology Center, Shanghai Tenth People's Hospital, Tongji University, School of Medicine) ;
- Li, Guo-Dong (Musculoskeletal Oncology Center, Shanghai Tenth People's Hospital, Tongji University, School of Medicine) ;
- Cai, Zheng-Dong (Musculoskeletal Oncology Center, Shanghai Tenth People's Hospital, Tongji University, School of Medicine) ;
- Yao, Jian-Zhong (Department of Medicinal Chemistry, School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a promising cancer treatment modality that uses dye-sensitized photooxidation of biologic matter in target tissue. This study explored effects of the photosensitizer BCPD-17 during PDT for osteosarcoma. LM-8 osteosarcoma cells were treated with BCPD-17 and cell viability after laser irradiation was assessed in vitro with the 3-(4, 5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2, 5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide assay. The effects of BCPD-17 during PDT recurrence were then examined on tumor-bearing mice in vivo. BCPD-17 had dosedependent cytotoxic effects on LM-8 osteosarcoma cells after laser irradiation which also had energy-dependent effects on the cells. The rate of local recurrence was reduced when marginal resection of mice tumors was followed by BCPD-17-mediated PDT. Our results indicated BCPD-17-mediated PDT in combination with marginal resection of tumors is a potentially new effective treatment for osteosarcoma.
Inhibiting rate;photochemotherapy;apoptosis/drug effects;photosensitizing agents
- Ackroyd R, Kelty C, Brown N, Reed M (2001). The history of photodetection and photodynamic therapy. Photochem Photobiol, 74, 656-69. https://doi.org/10.1562/0031-8655(2001)074<0656:THOPAP>2.0.CO;2
- Agostinis P, Berg K, Cengel KA, et al (2011). Photodynamic therapy of cancer: an update. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 250-81. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20114
- Berkovitch-Luria G, Weitman M, Nudelman A, Rephaeli A, Malik Z (2011). Multifunctional 5-aminolevulinic acid prodrugs activating diverse cell-death pathways. Invest New Drugs, 30, 1028-38.
- Burch S, London C, Seguin B, et al (2009). Clin Orthop Relat Res, 467, 1028-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-008-0678-5
- Chen Z, Chen QX, Hou ZY, et al (2012) Clinical predictive value of serum angiogenic factor in patients with osteosarcoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4823-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4823
- Das H, Koizumi T, Sugimoto T, et al (2000). Induction of apoptosis and manganese superoxide dismutase gene by photodynamic therapy in cervical carcinoma cell lines. Int J Clin Oncol, 5, 97-103. https://doi.org/10.1007/s101470050098
- Detty MR, Gibson SL, Wagner SJ (2004). Current clinical and preclinical photosensitizers for use in photodynamic therapy. J Med Chem, 47, 3897-915. https://doi.org/10.1021/jm040074b
- Fagioli F, Biasin E, Mereuta OM, et al (2008). Poor prognosis osteosarcoma: new therapeutic approach. Bone Marrow Transplant, 41, S131-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/bmt.2008.71
- Han G, Wang Y, Bi WZ (2012) Study on the health-related quality of life in patients after surgery for malignant bone tumors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 127-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.127
- Henderson BW, Fingar VH (1989). Oxygen limitation of direct tumor cell kill during photodynamic treatment of a murine tumor model. Photochem Photobiol, 49, 299-304.
- Jeong YM, Li H, Kim SY, et al (2011). Photo-activated 5-hydroxyindole-3-acetic acid induces apoptosis of prostate and bladder cancer cells. J Photochem Photobiol B, 103, 50-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2011.01.011
- Kusuzaki K, Aomori K, Suginoshita T, et al (2000). Total tumor cell elimination with minimum damage to normal tissues in musculoskeletal sarcomas following photodynamic therapy with acridine orange. Oncology, 59, 174-80. https://doi.org/10.1159/000012156
- Lavi A, Weitman H, Holmes RT, Smith KM, Ehrenberg B (2002). The depth of porphyrin in a membrane and the membrane's physical properties affect the photosensitizing efficiency. Biophys J, 82, 2101-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3495(02)75557-4
- Liu W, Porter NA, Schneider C, Brash AR, Yin H (2011). Formation of 4-hydroxynonenal from cardiolipin oxidation: Intramolecular peroxyl radical addition and decomposition. Free Radic Biol Med, 50, 166-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2010.10.709
- Mak NK, Li KM, Leung WN, et al (2004). Involvement of both endoplasmic reticulum and mitochondria in photokilling of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells by the photosensitizer Zn BC-AM. Biochem Pharmacol, 68, 2387-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2004.08.024
- Moser J (1998). Photodynamic Tumor Therapy. 2nd and 3rd Generation Photosensitizers. Harwood Academic Publishers, Amsterdam.
- O'Connor AE, Mc Gee MM, Likar Y, et al (2012). Mechanism of cell death mediated by a BF2-chelated tetraarylazadipyrromethene photodynamic therapeutic: dissection of the apoptotic pathway in vitro and in vivo. Int J Cancer, 130, 705-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.26073
- Plaetzer K, Kiesslich T, Verwanger T, Krammer B (2003). The Modes of CellDeathInduced by PDT: An Overview. Med Laser Appl, 18, 7-19. https://doi.org/10.1078/1615-1615-00082
- Pogue BW, Ortel B, Chen N, Redmond RW, Hasan T (2001). A photobiological and photophysical-based study of phototoxicity of two chlorins. Cancer Res, 61, 717-24.
- Rancan F, Wiehe A, NObel M, et al (2005) Influence of substitutions on asymmetric dihydroxychlorins with regard to intracellular uptake, subcellular localization and photosensitization of Jurkat cells. J Photochem Photobiol B, 78, 17-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2004.08.010
- Sternberg ED, Dolphin D (1998). Porphyrin-based Photosensitizers for Use in Photodynamic Therapy. Tetrahedron, 54, 4151-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-4020(98)00015-5
- Sun YJ, Hu YJ, Jin D, et al (2012) Health-related quality of life after treatment for malignant bone tumors: a follow-up study in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3099-102. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3099
- Wiromrat P, Jetsrisuparb A, Komvilaisak P, et al (2012) Incidence and survival rates among pediatric osteogenic sarcoma cases in Khon Kaen, Thailand, 1985-2010. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4281-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4281
- Woods JA, Traynor NJ, Brancaleon L, Moseley H (2004). The effect of photofrin on DNA strand breaks and base oxidation in HaCaT keratinocytes: a comet assay study. Photochem Photobiol, 79, 105-13. https://doi.org/10.1562/0031-8655(2004)79<105:TEOPOD>2.0.CO;2
- Yao J, Zhang W, Sheng C, et al (2008). Design, synthesis, and in vitro photodynamic activities of benzochloroporphyrin derivatives as tumor photosensitizers. Bioorg Med Chem Lett, 18, 293-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2007.10.086
- Yu SD, Liu FY, Wang QR (2012) Notch inhibitor: a promising carcinoma radiosensitizer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5345-51. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5345
- Hiporfin-Mediated Photodynamic Therapy in Preclinical Treatment of Osteosarcoma vol.91, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/php.12424