- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Is Helicobacter pylori a Poor Prognostic Factor for HER-2 SISH Positive Gastric Cancer?
- Selcukbiricik, Fatih (Sisli Education and Research Hospital, Department of Medical Oncology) ;
- Tural, Deniz (Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Department of Medical Oncology) ;
- Erdamar, Sibel (Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Department of Pathology) ;
- Buyukunal, Evin (Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Department of Medical Oncology) ;
- Demirelli, Fuat (Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Department of Medical Oncology) ;
- Serdengecti, Suheyla (Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Department of Medical Oncology)
- 발행 : 2013.05.30
Background: Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is one of the risk factors for gastric cancer (GC). Any prognostic effect of HER-2 status in gastric lymph node metastasis in H. pylori positive cases is unknown. Materials and Methods: A total of 74 patients, 47 (64%) male, and 27 (34%) female, who had subtotal or total gastrectomy and also positive lymph nodes, were included in the study. Age range was 29-87 years, and median age was 58 years. HER-2 expression was assessed in both gastric resection samples and lymph node material with carcinoma metastasis of the same patient by immunohistochemistry (IHC) and silver in situ hybridization (SISH) methods. H. pylori status was examined in gastric materials of all patients. Relationships between HER-2 status in gastric cancers and lymph nodes and H. pylori status were investigated. Results: H. pylori was positive in 40 cases (54%), and negative in 34 (46%). While in the primary tissues of H. pylori positive cases, SISH positivity for HER-2 was observed in 13 cases (86%), SISH negativity was observed in 2 (14%), in metastatic lymph nodes 21 cases (72%) were SISH positive and 8 cases (28%) were SISH negative (P=0.005 and P=0.019, respectively). Initial CEA values were high in 18 cases (78%) with positive H. pylori and in 5 cases (22%) with negative H. pylori (P=0.009). While SISH data of patients were negative in 59 cases (80%) and positive in 15 cases (20%) in primary tissues, they were negative in 56 cases (75%) and positive in 18 cases (25%) in lymph nodes. Discrepancy between primary tissue and lymph node results was detected in 3 cases, in which SISH was negative in the primary tissue and HER-2 expression was positive in the lymph nodes. Conclusions: Clinical progression was poor in H. pylori positive cases with HER-2 negativity in primary gastric tissue, but HER-2 positivity in the lymph nodes. SISH positivity can be expected in H. pylori positive cases, and it may be predicted that these cases can benefit from trastuzumab treatment.
- Allgayer H, Babic R, Grutzner KU, et al (2000). c-erbB-2 is of independent prognostik relevance in gastric cancer and is associated with the expression of tumor associated protease systems. J Clin Oncol, 18, 2201-9.
- Bhandari A, Crowe SE (2012). Helicobacter pylori in gastric malignancies. Curr Gastroenterol Rep, 14, 489-96. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11894-012-0296-y
- BozzettI C, NegrI FV, Lagrasta CA, et al (2011). Comparison of HER2 status in primary and paired metastatic sites of gastric carcinoma. Br J Cancer, 26, 1372-6.
- Correa P, Fox C, Fontham E, et al (1990). Helicobacter pylori and gastric carcinoma: serum antibody prevalence in populations with contrasting cancer risks. Cancer, 66, 2569-74. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19901215)66:12<2569::AID-CNCR2820661220>3.0.CO;2-I
- Coyle WJ, Sedlack RE, Nemec R, et al (1999). Eradication of Helicobacter pylori normalizes elevated mucosal levels of epidermal growth factor and its receptor. Am J Gastroenterol, 94, 2885-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.1999.01432.x
- Forman D (1995). The prevalence of H. pylori infection in gastric cancer. Alimentary Pharmacol Ther, 9, 71-6.
- Hibi K, Mitomi H, Kotzumi W, et al (1997). Enhanced cellular proliferation and p53 accumulation in gastric mucosa chronically infected with H. pylori. Am J Clin Pathol, 108, 26-34.
- Kang SY, Han JH, Ahn MS, et al (2012). Helicobacter pylori infection as an independent prognostic factor for locally advanced gastric cancer patients treated with adjuvant chemotherapy after curative resection. Int J Cancer, 15, 948-58.
- Kono K, TakahashI A, Ichihara F, et al (2002). Impaired antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity mediated by herceptin in patient with gastric cancer. Cancer Res, 62, 5813-7.
- Marrelli D, PedrazzanI C, BerardI A, et al (2009). Negative Helicobacter pylori status is associated with poor prognosis in patients with gastric cancer. Cancer, 115, 2071-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24253
- Marx AH, Tharun L, Muth J, et al (2009). HER-2 amplification is highly homogenous in gastric cancer. Hum Pathol, 40, 769-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2008.11.014
- Meimarakis G, Winter H, Assmann I, et al (2006). Helicobacter pylori as a prognostic indicator after curative resection of gastric carcinoma: a prospective study. Lancet Oncol, 7, 211-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(06)70586-1
- NakajIma M, Sawada H, Yamada Y, et al (1999). The prognostic significance of amplification and overexpression of c-met and c-erbB-2 in human gastric carcinomas. Cancer, 85, 1894-902. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19990501)85:9<1894::AID-CNCR3>3.0.CO;2-J
- Neubauer A, ThIede C, Morgner A, et al (1997). Cure of Helicobacter pylori infection and duration of remission of low grade gastric mucosa associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma. J Natl Cancer Inst, 89, 1350-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/89.18.1350
- Nomura A, Stemmermann GN, Chyou PH, et al (1991). H. Pylori infection and gastric carcinoma among Japanese Americans in Hawaii. N Engl J Med, 325, 1332-6.
- Parsonnet J, Vandersteen D, Goates J, et al (1991) Helicobacter pylori in intestinal and diffuse type gastric adenocarcinoma. J Natl Cancer Inst, 83, 640-3. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/83.9.640
- Pryczynicz A, Guzinska-Ustymowicz K, Kemona A, et al (2009). Helicobacter pylori infection and expressions of EGF, EGFR and c-erbB-2 proteins in gastric carcinoma. Folia Histochem Cytobiol, 47, 447-51.
- Sawaki A, Ohashi Y, Omuro Y, et al (2012). Efficacy of trastuzumab in Japanese patients with HER2-positive advanced gastric or gastroesophageal junction cancer: a subgroup analysis of the Trastuzumab for Gastric Cancer (ToGA) study. Gastric Cancer, 15, 313-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10120-011-0118-1
- Takehana T, Kunitomo K, Kono K, et al (2002). Status of c-erbB-2 in gastric adenocarcinoma: A comparative study of immunohistochemistry, fluoresence in situ hybridization and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Int J Cancer, 98, 833-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10257
- Terres AM, Pajares JM, O'Toole D, et al (1998). Pylori infection is associated with down regulation of E-cadherin, a molecule involved in epithelial cell adhesion and proliferation control. J Clin Pathol, 5, 410-2.
- Wagner S, BeIl W, Westermann J, et al (1997). Regulation of gastric epithelial cell growth by Helicobacter pylori: offdence for a major role of apoptosis. Gastroenterology, 113, 1836-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5085(97)70003-9
- Wang J, ChI DS, Kalin GB, et al (2002a). Helicobacter pylori infection and oncogene expressions in gastric carcinoma and its precursor lesions. Dig Dis Sci, 47, 107-13. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013223722331
- Wang YL, Sheu BS, Yang HB, et al (2002b). Overexpression of c-erb-B2 proteins in tumor and non-tumor parts of gastric adenocarcinoma-emphasis on its relation to H. pylori infection and clinicohistological characteristics. Hepatogastroenterology, 49, 1172-6.
- Wong BC, Wang WP, So WH, et al (2000). Epidermal growth factor and its receptor in chronic active gastritis and gastroduodenal ulcer before and after Helicobacter pylori eradication. Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 15, 1459-65.
- Yarden Y (2001). Biology of HER2 and its importance in breast cancer. Oncology, 61, 1-13.
- Comparison of Clinicopathologic Parameters and Survivals Between Epstein-Barr Virus–positive and Her2-positive Gastric Cancers vol.25, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1097/PAI.0000000000000353