- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Lifestyle Behaviors and Early Diagnosis Practices of Cancer Patients
- Yilmaz, Medine (Health Sciences Faculty, Izmir Katip Celebi University) ;
- Sanli, Deniz (Health Sciences Faculty, Izmir Katip Celebi University) ;
- Ucgun, Mujde (Ataturk Education and Training Hospital, Izmir Katip Celebi University) ;
- Kaya, Nur Sahin (Ataturk Education and Training Hospital, Izmir Katip Celebi University) ;
- Tokem, Yasemin (Health Sciences Faculty, Izmir Katip Celebi University)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Background: The aim was to determine the lifestyle behaviors and the practices for early diagnosis of cancer of cancer patients. Materials and Methods: A descriptive cross-sectional design was used for this study. The sample consisted of 222 patients with a diagnosis of cancer (non-random sample method). Ethical permission was obtained of the Non-interventional Research Ethics Committee of our Institution. Values of p<0.05 were accepted as statistically significant. Results: It was observed that 54.4% of the patients had never performed breast self-examination, 60.8% had never had a mammography, and 71.2% had never had a Pap smear. Sixty-six point two percent of patients had never had screening for colon cancer within the past ten years. GIS cancers were higher in smokers and ex-smokers (p=0.005), in drinkers and in ex-drinkers (p=0.000). The breast cancer rate was higher in obese people (p=0.019). Conclusions: The results of this study provide information on the healthy lifestyle behavior of cancer patients before their diagnosis, and their use of early diagnosis practices. The important aspect of this study is to extend cancer patients' period of life after the diagnosis and treatment process, to make them conscious of risky lifestyle and nutritional behavior so that they can maintain a high quality of life, and to start initiatives in this direction that would ensure changes in behavior.
- Acar-Vaizoglu S, Turhan T, Temel F, et al (2010). Determination of risk factors associated with colorectal cancer and compliance with fecal occult blood testing among patients aged 50 years and over in primary health care. Turkish J Geriatrics, 13, 79-86.
- Al-Naggar RA, Bobryshev YV, Al-Jashamy K (2012). Practice of breast self-examination among women in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3829-33. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3829
- Arafa MA, Waly MI, Jriesat S, et al (2011). Dietary and lifestyle characteristics of colorectal cancer in Jordan: a case-control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1931-6.
- Banque M, Raido B, Masuet C, et al (2012). Food groups and nutrient intake and risk of colorectal cancer: a hospital-based case-control study in Spain. Nutr Cancer, 64, 386-92. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2012.657334
- Bao PP, Shu XO, Zheng Y, et al (2012). Fruit, vegetable, and animal food intake and breast cancer risk by hormone receptor status. Nutr Cancer, 64, 806-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2012.707277
- Barclay V (1987). Basic concepts in cancer nursing. Platin N (eds). 1st edn. Ankara, Turkey: Turkish Assoc Cancer Res Control, 11-36.
- Bi Suh MA, Atashili J, Fuh EA, et al (2012). Breast selfexamination and breast cancer awareness in women in developing countries: A survey of women in Buea, Cameroon. BMC Research Notes, 12, 627.
- Chan AT, Giovannucci EL (2010). Primary prevention of colorectal cancer. Gastroenterology, 138, 2029-43. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2010.01.057
- De Stefani E, Deneo-Pellegrini H, Ronco AL, et al (2012). Boffetta P, Correa P, Aune D. Meat consumption, cooking methods, mutagens, and risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus: A case-control study in Uruguay. Nutr Cancer, 64, 294-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2012.648299
- Eser S, Yakut C, Ozdemir R, et al (2010). Cancer incidence rates in Turkey in 2006: a detailed registry based estimation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1731-9.
- Friedenreich CM, Orenstein MR (2002). Physical activity and cancer prevention: Etiologic evidence and biological mechanisms. J Nutr, 132, 3456-64.
- Fu Z, Shrubsole MJ, Smalley WE, et al (2012). Lifestyle factors and their combined impact on the risk of colorectal polyps. Am J Epidemiol, 176, 766-76. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kws157
- Gocgeldi E, Acikeli CH, Hasde M, et al (2008). Investigation of attitudes and behaviors of a group of women who reside at in Ankara Golbasi on self-breast examination. Firat Med J, 13, 261-5.
- Gultekin M, Ozgul N, Olcayto E, et al (2011). Level of knowledge among Turkish people for cancer and cancer risk factors. J Turkish Soc Obstetr Gynecol, 8, 57-61. https://doi.org/10.5505/tjod.2011.93446
- Gulten G, Memnun S, Ayse K, et al (2012). Breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screening status of a group of Turkish women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4273-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4273
- Gursu RU, Kesmezacar O, Karacetin D, et al (2012). Istanbul research and training hospital oncology division: 18 month results of a newly-formed unit. Istanbul Med J, 13, 13-8. https://doi.org/10.5505/1304.8503.2012.55264
- Harmy MY, Norwati D, Norhayati MN, et al (2011). Knowledge and attitude of colorectal cancer screening among moderate risk patients in West Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1957-60.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Karaca H, Berk V, Inanc M, et al (2011). Epidemiologic evaluation of the patients admitted to Department of Medical Oncology, Erciyes University, Medical Faculty, between 2006 and 2009. J Health Sciences, 20, 1-8. 20.
- Larsen KI, Grotmol T, Almendingen K, et al (2006). Lifestyle as a predictor for colonic neoplasia in asymptomatic individuals. BMC Gastroenterology, 6, 5. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-230X-6-5
- Macdonald S, Macleod U, Campbell NC, et al (2009). Systematic review of factors influencing patient and practitioner delay in diagnosis of upper gastrointestinal cancer. Br J Cancer, 94, 1272-80.
- Maheu C, Apostolidis T, Petri-Cal A, et al (2012). French women's breast self-examination practices with time after undergoing BRCA1/2 genetic testing. Fam Cancer, 11, 269-78. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10689-012-9512-z
- Mathew A, Gangadharan P, Varghese C, et al (2000). Diet and stomach cancer: a case-control study in South India. Eur J Cancer Prev, 9, 89-97. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008469-200004000-00004
- Montaque JA, Butler LM, Wu AH, et al (2012).Green and black tea intake in relation to prostate cancer risk among Singapore Chinese. Cancer Causes Control, 23, 1635-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-012-0041-8
- Newton RU, Galvao DA (2008). Exercise in prevention and management of cancer. Curr Treat Option Oncol, 9, 135-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11864-008-0065-1
- Norat T, Bingham S, Ferrari P, et al (2005). Meat, fish, and colorectal cancer risk: the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition. J Natl Cancer Inst, 97, 906-16. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/dji164
- Ozaydin AN, Gulluoglu BM, Unalan PC, et al (2009). Breast cancer knowledge, source of information, and breast health practices of women in Bahcesehir. J Breast Health, 5, 214-24.
- Ozmen V (2008). Breast cancer in the world and Turkey. J Breast Health, 4, 7-12.
- Parsa P, Parsa B (2009). Effects of reproductive factors on risk of breast cancer: a literature review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 545-50.
- Pronk A, Ji BT, Shu XO, et al (2011). Physical activity and breast cancer risk in Chinese women. Br J Cancer, 105, 1443-50. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2011.370
- Rizalar S, Altay B (2010). Early diagnosis applications of women with breast cancer. J Firat Health Services, 5, 73-87.
- Sczaniecka AK, Brasky TM, Lampe JW, et al (2012). Dietary intake of specific fatty acids and breast cancer risk among postmenopausal women in the vital cohort. Nutr Cancer, 64, 1131-42. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2012.718033
- Sezer H, Yilmaz M, Gurler H, et al (2011). Breast cancer risk factors in Turkey: a hospital-based case-control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2317-22.
- Shikata K, Kiyohara Y, Kubo M, et al (2006). A prospective study of dietary salt intake and gastric cancer incidence in a defined Japanese population: the Hisayama study. Int J Cancer, 119, 196-201. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.21822
- Soares PB, Quirino Filho S, Souza WP, et al (2012). Characteristics of women with breast cancer seen at reference services in the North of Minas Gerais. Rev Bras Epidemiol, 15, 595-604. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1415-790X2012000300013
- Tuncer M (2009). An importance of cancer in our country and in the world, disease burden and cancer control politics. In: Cancer Control in Turkey. Koza Press, Ankara, Turkey.
- Turkish Statistical Institute. Global Adult Tobacco Survey 2008, General Directorate of Primary Health Care Services, Turkey Adult Tobacco Survey 2010.
- Yildiz E (2008). Cancer and nutrition. Ankara, Turkey: Republic of Turkey Ministry of Health Publications, No: 728.
- Yoo BN, Choi KS, Jung KW, et al (2012). Awareness and practice of breast self-examination among Korean women: results from a nationwide survey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 123-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.123
- Yusof AS, Isa ZM, Shah SA (2012). Dietary patterns and risk of colorectal cancer: a systematic review of cohort studies (2000-2011). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4713-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4713
- From Self-care for Healthy People to Self-management for Cancer Patients with Cancer Portals vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1321