- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Cancer Cases Using Capture-Recapture Method in Northwest Iran
- Ghojazadeh, Morteza (Liver and Gastrointestinal Disease Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mohammadi, Marziye (Nursing and Midwifery Faculty, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Azami-Aghdash, Saber (Health Services Management Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Sadighi, Alireza (Department of Neurosurgery, University of Wisconsin-Madison) ;
- Piri, Reza (Students' Research Committee, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Naghavi-Behzad, Mohammad (Medical Philosophy and History Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Background: Under-ascertainment and over-ascertainment are common phenomena in surveillance and registry systems of health-related events. Capture-recapture is one of the methods which is applied to determine the sensitivity of surveillance or registry systems to recognize cancer cases. This study aimed to estimate the number of cancers using data available both in the Cancer Registry Center of Northwestern Iran and in the Population-based Cancer Registry Center of Iran. Material and Methods: The studied population consisted of all cancerous cases in the northwest of Iran from 2008 to 2010. All data were extracted from two resources and entered into Microsoft Excel software. After removing common and repeat cases the data were statistically analyzed using a capture-recapture studies' specific software "CARE 1.4". Estimations were calculated by Chapman and Petersen methods with the approximate confidence interval of 95%. Results: From 2008 to 2010, the number of all cancer cases was estimated to be 21,652 (CI 95%: 19,863-22,101). Sensitivity rate of all cancer cases was 83.9% and that of Population-based Cancer Registry Center of Iran was 52%. It was 93.1% considering both resources. Conclusion: Using two resources and the capture-recapture method rather than a single resource may be a more reliable method to estimate the number of cancer cases.
Capture-recapture method;coverage rate;sensitivity rate;cancer registry;incidence rate
- Al-Zahrani A, Baomer A, Al-Hamdan N, Mohamed G (2003). Completeness and validity of cancer registration in a major public referral hospital in Saudi Arabia. Ann Saudi Med, 23, 6.
- Ali K, Sutaryo S, Purwanto I, et al (2010). Yogyakarta pediatric cancer registry: an international collaborative project of university gadjah mada, university of saskatchewan, and the saskatchewan cancer agency. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 131-6.
- Ballivet S, Salmi LR, Dubourdieu D, et al (2000). Capturerecapture method to determine the best design of a surveillance system. Application to a thyroid cancer registry. Eur J Epidemiol, 16, 147-53. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007605122984
- Behtash N, Mehrdad N (2006). Cervical cancer: screening and prevention. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 683-6.
- Chao A, Tsay PK, Lin SH, Shau WY, Chao DY (2001). The applications of capture-recapture models to epidemiological data. Stat Med, 20, 3123-57. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.996
- Chen SM, Lin W, Liu X, Zhang YZ (2012). Significance of Human Telomerase RNA Gene Amplification Detection for Cervical Cancer Screening. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2063-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2063
- Crocetti E, Miccinesi G, Paci E, Zappa M (2001). An application of the two-source capture-recapture method to estimate the completeness of the Tuscany Cancer Registry, Italy. Eur J Prev, 10, 417. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008469-200110000-00005
- Dortag E, Bahrampour A, Haghdost A, et al (2011). Completeness of fars province deaths registry on cancer death using capture recaptures method. J North Khorasan University of Med Sciences, 3, 33-43.
- Doungchawee G, Y Khoaprasert, et al (2002). Use of Wild Rodents for Environmental Monitoring-Comparison of Rats in Bangkok and Rural Areas of Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 3, 367-8.
- Ghojazadeh M, Azar ZF, Saleh P, Naghavi-Behzad M, Azar NG (2012). Knowledge and attitude of Iranian university students toward human papilloma virus. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6115-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6115
- Ghojazadeh M, Naghavi-Behzad M, Azar ZF, et al (2012). Parental knowledge and attitudes about human papilloma virus in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6169-73. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6169
- Hafdi-Nejjari Z, Couris CM, Schott AM, et al (2006). Role of hospital claims databases from care units for estimating thyroid cancer incidence in the Rhone-Alpes region of France. Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique, 54, 391. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0398-7620(06)76737-2
- Hajian S, Vakilian K, Najabadi KM, Hosseini J, Mirzaei HR (2011). Effects of education based on the health belief model on screening behavior in high risk women for breast cancer, tehran, iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 49-54.
- Kamsa-ard S, Wiangnon S, Suwanrungruang K, et al (2011). Trends in liver cancer incidence between 1985 and 2009, Khon Kaen, Thailand: cholangiocarcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2209-13.
- Mousavi SM, Somi MH (2009). Gastric cancer in Iran 1966-2006. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 407-12
- Pandey S, Mishra CM (2012). Human papillomavirus screening in North Indian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2643-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2643
- Sadjadi A, Nouraie M, Mohagheghi MA, et al (2005). Cancer occurrence in Iran in 2002, an international perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 359.
- Sadjadi A, Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan MH, et al (2003). Cancer occurrence in ardabil: results of a population based cancer registry from Iran. Int J Cancer, 107, 113-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11359
- Etemadi A, Sadjadi A, Semnani S, et al (2008). Cancer registry in Iran: a brief overview. Arch Iran Med, 11, 577.
- Sadjadi A, Zahedi M, Nouraie M, et al (2007). The first population-based cancer survey in Kerman Province of Iran. Iran J Public Hlth, 36, 26-34
- Semnani S, Sadjadi A, Fahimi S, et al (2006). Declining incidence of esophageal cancer in the Turkmen Plain, eastern part of the Caspian Littoral of Iran: a retrospective cancer surveillance. Cancer Detect Prev, 30, 14-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2005.11.002
- Suwanrungruang K, Sriplung H, Attasara P, et al (2011). Quality of case ascertainment in cancer registries: a proposal for a virtual three-source capture-recapture technique. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 173-8.
- Thompson B, Thompson AL, Chan NL, Hislop GT, Taylor VM (2007). Cost effectiveness of cervical cancer screening among Chinese women in North America. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 287-93.
- Wang PS, Walker AM, Tsuang MT, et al (2001). Finding incident breast cancer cases through US claims data and a state cancer registry. Cancer Causes Control, 12, 257-65. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011204704153
- Yavari P, Sadrolhefazi B, Mohagheghi MA, et al (2008). An epidemiological analysis of cancer data in an Iranian hospital during the last three decades. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 145-50.
- Yazdizadeh B, Jarrahi AM, Mortazavi H, et al (2005). Time trends in the occurrence of major GI cancers in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 130-4.
- Zhang HY, Tiggelaar SM, Sahasrabuddhe VV, et al (2012). HPV prevalence and cervical intraepithelial neoplasia among HIVinfected women in Yunnan province, China: a pilot study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 91-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.091
- Zhou P, Wang BZ, Quan PL, et at (2007). Application of capturerecapture method in the malignant tumor death registry. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zh, 41, 101.
- Zou L, Bao YP, Li N, et al (2011). Life-style and genital human papillomavirus in a cross-sectional survey in Shanxi Province, China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 781-6.
- Bcl-2 Gene Expression in Human Breast Cancers in Iran vol.14, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4209
- Overview of Cancer Registration Research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013 vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- Diagnostic Value of Protein Ki67 (MIB-1) in Atypical Pap Smears of Postmenopausal Women vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4815
- Estimation of Esophageal Cancer Incidence in Tehran by Log-linear Method using Population-based Cancer Registry Data vol.14, pp.9, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5367
- Knowledge Production Status of Iranian Researchers in the Gastric Cancer Area: Based on the Medline Database vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.5083
- Epidemiology of Oral Cancer in Iran: a Systematic Review vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5427
- Total and Partial Prevalence of Cancer Across Kerman Province, Iran, in 2014, Using an Adapted Generalized Network Scale-Up Method vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5493
- Ki-67/MIB-1 as a Prognostic Marker in Cervical Cancer - a Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.6997
- Estimating the Completeness of Gastric Cancer Registration in Ardabil/Iran by a Capture-Recapture Method using Population-Based Cancer Registry Data vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1981
- Comparative Study of Dermatoscopic and Histopathologic Results in Facial Basal Cell Carcinoma and Melanocytic Nevi vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.425
- Capture-removal model sampling estimation based on big data vol.20, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10586-017-0867-7
- Bayesian adjustment for over-estimation and under-estimation of gastric cancer incidence across Iranian provinces vol.9, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4251/wjgo.v9.i2.87
- Estimating road traffic injuries in Jinja district, Uganda, using the capture-recapture method pp.1745-7319, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/17457300.2018.1431934