- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Association of Immunohistochemically Defined Molecular Subtypes with Clinical Response to Presurgical Chemotherapy in Patients with Advanced Breast Cancer
- Khokher, Samina (Surgical Division, INMOL Hospital) ;
- Qureshi, Muhammad Usman (Nauman Associates, University of Health Sciences) ;
- Mahmood, Saqib (Department of Human Genetics and Molecular Biology, University of Health Sciences) ;
- Nagi, Abdul Hannan (Pathology Department, University of Health Sciences)
- 발행 : 2013.05.30
Gene expression profiling (GEP) has identified several molecular subtypes of breast cancer, with different clinico-pathologic features and exhibiting different responses to chemotherapy. However, GEP is expensive and not available in the developing countries where the majority of patients present at advanced stage. The St Gallen Consensus in 2011 proposed use of a simplified, four immunohistochemical (IHC) biomarker panel (ER, PR, HER2, Ki67/Tumor Grade) for molecular classification. The present study was conducted in 75 newly diagnosed patients of breast cancer with large (>5cm) tumors to evaluate the association of IHC surrogate molecular subtype with the clinical response to presurgical chemotherapy, evaluated by the WHO criteria, 3 weeks after the third cycle of 5 flourouracil, adriamycin, cyclophosphamide (FAC regimen). The subtypes of luminal, basal-like and HER2 enriched were found to account for 36.0 % (27/75), 34.7 % (26/75) and 29.3% (22/75) of patients respectively. Ten were luminal A and 14 luminal B (8 HER2 negative and 6HER2 positive). The triple negative breast cancer (TNBC) was most sensitive to chemotherapy with 19% achieving clinical-complete-response (cCR) followed by HER2 enriched (2/22 (9%) cCR), luminal B (1/6 (7%) cCR) and luminal A (0/10 (0%) cCR). Heterogeneity was observed within each subgroup, being most marked in the TNBC although the most responding tumors, 8% developing clinical-progressive-disease. The study supports association of molecular subtypes with response to chemotherapy in patients with advanced breast cancer and the existence of further heterogeneity within subtypes.
- Aebi S, Sun Z, Braun D, et al (2011). Differential efficacy of three cycles of CMF followed by tamoxifen in patients with ER-positive and ER-negative tumors, long-term follow up on IBCSG trial IX. Ann Oncol, 22,1981-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq754
- Andre F, Pusztai L (2006). Molecular classification of breast cancer: implications for selection of adjuvant chemotherapy. Nat Clinl Prac Oncol, 3, 621-32. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncponc0636
- Bhurgri Y, Bhurgri A, Nishter S, et al (2006). Pakistan - country profile of cancer and cancer control 1995-2004. J Pak Med Assoc, 56, 124-30.
- Carey LA (2011). Directed therapy of subtypes of triple negative breast cancer. Oncologist, 16, 71-8.
- Carey LA, Dees EC, Sawyer L, et al (2007). The triple negative paradox: primary tumor chemosensitivity of breast cancer subtypes. Clin Cancer Res, 13, 2329-34. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-1109
- Carey LA, Perou CM, Livasy CA, et al (2006). Race, breast cancer subtypes, and survival in the carolina breast cancer study. JAMA, 295, 2492-502. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.21.2492
- Chang JC, Makris A, Gutierrez MC, et al (2008). Gene expression patterns in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded core biopsies predict doxetaxel chemosensitivity in breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 108, 233-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-007-9590-z
- Cheang MC, Voduc D, Bajdik C et al (2008). Basal-like breast cancer defined by five biomarkers has superior prognostic value than triple-negative phenotype. Clin Cancer Res, 14,1368-76. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-1658
- Chuthapisith S, Permasapaya W, Warnnissorn M, et al (2012). Breast Cancer Subtypes identified by the ER, PR and HER-2 status in Thai women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 459-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.459
- Cianfrocca MO, Gradishar W (2009). New molecular classifications of breast cancer. CA Cancer J Clin, 59, 303-13. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20029
- Coates AS, Colleoni M, Goldhirsch A (2012). Is adjuvant chemotherapyuseful for women with luminal A breast cancer? J Clin Oncol, 30, 1260-3. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.37.7879
- Colleoni M, Bagnardi V, Rotmensz N, et al (2009). Increasing steroid hormone receptors expression defines breast cancer subtypes non responsive to preoperative chemotherapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 116, 359-69. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-008-0223-y
- Colleoni M, Viale G, Zahrieh D, et al (2008). Expression of ER, PgR, HER1, HER2, and response: a study of preoperative chemotherapy. Ann Oncol, 19, 465-509.
- De Lena M, Varini M, Zucali R, et al (1981). Multimodal treatment for locally advanced breast cancer: result of chemotherapy-radiotherapy versus chemotherapy-surgery. Cancer Clinical Trials, 4, 229-36.
- El-Saghir, NS, Eniu A, Carlson RW, et al (2008). Locally advanced breast cancer treatment guideline implementation with particular attention to low and middle income countries. Cancer, 113, 2315-24. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23836
- El-Tahir A, Heys SD, Hutcheon AW, et al (1998). Treatment of large and locally advanced breast cancers using neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Am J Surg, 175, 127-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9610(97)00279-1
- Fumagalli D, Bedard PL, Nahleh Z, et al (2012). A common language in neoadjuvant breast cancer clinical trials, proposals for standard definition and endpoints. Lancet Oncol, 13, 240-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70378-3
- Goldhirsch A, Wood WC, Coates AS et al (2011). Strategies for subtypes-dealing with the diversity of breast cancer: highlights of the St Gallen International expert consensus on the primary therapy of early breast cancer 2011. Ann Oncol, 22, 1736-47. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr304
- Guarneri V, Broglio K, Kau SW, et al (2006). Prognostic value of pathologic complete response after primary chemotherapy in relation to hormone receptor status and other factors. J Clin Oncol, 24, 1037-44. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.02.6914
- Huber KE, Carey LA, Wazer DE. (2009). Breast cancer molecular subtypes in patients with locally advanced disease: Impact on prognosis, patterns of recurrence and response to therapy. Semin Radiat Oncol, 19,204-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semradonc.2009.05.004
- Karlsson P, Sun Z, Braun D, et al. (2011) Long-term results of international breast cancer study group trial VIII: Adjuvant chemotherapy plus goserelin compared with either therapy alone for premenopausal patients with node-negative breast cancer. Ann Oncol, 22, 2216-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq735
- Khokher S, Mahmood S, Khan SA (2010). Response to Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with advanced breast cancer: a local hospital experience. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 303-8.
- Khokher S, Mahmood S, Qureshi MU, Khan SA, Chaudhry NA (2011). Response to Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with advanced breast cancer: A local hospital experience. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 939-46
- Khokher S, Qureshi MU, Riaz M, Akhtar N, Saleem A (2012). Clinicopathologic profile of breast cancer patients in Pakistan: ten years data of a local cancer hospital. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 693-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.693
- Kuerer HM, Newman LA, Smith TM, et al (1999) Clinical course of breast cancer patients with complete pathologic primary tumor and axillary lymph node response to doxorubicinbased neoadjuvant chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 17,460-9.
- Kuerer HM, Hunt KK, Newman LA, et al (2000). Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in women with invasive breast carcinoma: conceptual basis and fundamental surgical issues. J Am Coll Surg, 190, 350-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1072-7515(99)00272-0
Leo AD, Isola J (2003). Topoisomerase
$II\alpha$as a marker predicting the efficacy of anthracycline in breast cancer: are we at the end of the beginning? Clinical Breast Cancer, 4, 179-86.
- Lester SC, Bose S, Chen YY, et al (2009). Protocol for the examination of specimens from patients with invasive carcinoma of the breast. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 133, 1515-38.
- Liang H, Brufsky AM, Lembersky BB, et al (2007). A retrospective analysis of the impact of oncotype DX low recurrence score results on treatment decisions in a single academic breast cancer center. Presented at the 30th Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium; San Antonio, TX; December 13-16. Abstract 2061.
- Lv M, Li B, Li Y, et al, (2011). Predictive role of molecular subtypes in response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients in Northeast China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2411-8.
- Liedtke C, Mazouni C, Hess KR, et al (2008). Response to neoadjuvant therapy and long-trem survival in patients with triple-negative breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 26,1275-81. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.14.4147
- Mauri D, Pavlidis N, Ioannidis JPA (2005). Neoadjuvant versus adjuvant systemic treatment in breast cancer: a metaanalysis. J Natl Cancer Inst, 97,188-94. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/dji021
- Miller AB, Hoogstraten B, Staquet M, Winkler A (1981). Reporting results of cancer treatment. Cancer, 47, 207-14. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19810101)47:1<207::AID-CNCR2820470134>3.0.CO;2-6
- Moore MA, AriyaratneY, Badar F, et al (2009). Cancer epidemiology in South Asia- Past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 49-67.
- NCCN (2013). National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Practice Guidelines in Oncology. Breast http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/breast.pdf accessed on April 2013.
- Nguyen PL, Taghian AG, Katz MS et al (2011) Breast cancer subtype approximated by estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor, and HER-2 Is associated with local and distant recurrence after breast-conserving therapy. J Clin Oncol, 26, 2373-8
- Nielsen TO, Hsu FD, Jensen K, et al (2004). Immunohistochemical and clinical characterization of the basal-like subtype of invasive breast carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 5367-74. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-0220
- Onitilo AA, Engel JM, Greenlee RT, et al (2009). Breast cancer subtypes based on ER/PR and Her2 expression: comparison of clinicopathologic features and survival. CM&R, 7, 4-13.
- Perou CM, Sorlie T, Eison MB, et al (2000). Molecular portraits of human breast tumors. Nature, 406,747-52. https://doi.org/10.1038/35021093
- Phipps AI, Buist DS, Malone KE, et al (2011) Reproductive history and risk of three breast cancer subtypes defined by three biomarkers. Cancer Causes Control, 22, 399-05. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-010-9709-0
- Pierga JY, Mouret E, Laurence V, et al (2003). Prognostic factors for survival after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in operable breast cancer: the role of clinical response. Eur J Cancer, 39, 1089-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(03)00069-8
- Pritchard KI, Shepherd LE, O'Malley FP, et al (2006). HER2 and responsiveness of breast cancer to adjuvant chemtherapy. N Engl J Med, 354, 2103-11. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa054504
- Pusztai L, Gianni L (2004). Technology insight: emerging techniques to predict response to preoperative chemotherapy in breast cancer. Nat Clinl Prac Oncol, 1, 44-50. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncponc0025
- Rakha EA, El-Sayed ME, Green AR, et al (2007). Breast carcinoma with basal differentiation: a proposal for pathology definition based on basal cytokeratin expression, Histopathology, 50, 434-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2559.2007.02638.x
- Ramsey SD, Barlow WE, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, et al (2013). Integrating comparative effectiveness design elements and endpoints into a phase III, randomized clinical trial (SWOG S1007) evaluating oncotypeDX-guided management for women with breast cancer involving lymph nodes. Contemp Clin Trials, 34, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2012.09.003
- Rouzier R, Perou CM, Symmans WF, et al (2005). Breast cancer molecular subtypes respond differently to preoperative chemotherapy. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 5678-85. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-2421
- Smid M, Wang Y, Zhang Y, et al (2008). Subtypes of breast cancer show preferential site of relapse. Cancer Res, 68, 3108-14. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-07-5644
- Sorlie T, Perou CM, Tibshirani R, et al (2001). Gene expression patterns of breast carcinomas distinguish tumor subclasses with clinical implications. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 98, 10869-74. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.191367098
- Stead LA, Lash TL, Sobieraj JE, et al (2009). Triple-negative breast cancers are increased in black women regardless of age or body mass index. Breast Cancer Res, 11, 18.
- von Minckwitz G, Untch M, Blohmer JU, et al (2012). Definition and impact of pathologic complete response on prognosis after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in various intrinsic breast cancer subtypes. J Clin Oncol, 30, 1796-804. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.38.8595
- von Minckwitz G, Untch M, Nuesch E, et al (2011). Impact of treatment characteristics on response of different breast cancer phenotypes: Pooled analysis of the German neoadjuvant chemotherapy trials. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 125, 145-56. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-010-1228-x
- Wolff AC, Hammond ME, Schwartz JN, et al (2007). American society of clinical oncology/college of American pathologists guideline recommendations for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 25, 118-45.
- Yanagawa M, Ikemot K, Kawauchi S, et al (2012). Luminal A and Luminal B (HER 2 negative) subtypes of breast cancer consist of a mixture of tumors with different genotypes. BMC Research Notes, 5, 376. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-5-376
- Disease Free Survival among Molecular Subtypes of Early Stage Breast Cancer between 2001 and 2010 in Iran vol.14, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5811
- Clinicopathological Features of Indonesian Breast Cancers with Different Molecular Subtypes vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6109
- Triple Negative Breast Cancer vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2427
- Cyclophosphamide Alters the Gene Expression Profile in Patients Treated with High Doses Prior to Stem Cell Transplantation vol.9, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0086619
- Correlation between Ki67 and Histological Grade in Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Preoperative Chemotherapy vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10277
- Correlating Tumor Stiffness with Immunohistochemical Subtypes of Breast Cancers: Prognostic Value of Comb-Push Ultrasound Shear Elastography for Differentiating Luminal Subtypes vol.11, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0165003
- Silibinin inhibits triple negative breast cancer cell motility by suppressing TGF-β2 expression vol.37, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-016-5000-7