- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Possible Roles of the Xenobiotic Transporter P-glycoproteins Encoded by the MDR1 3435 C＞T Gene Polymorphism in Differentiated Thyroid Cancers
- Ozdemir, Semra (Department of Nuclear Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University) ;
- Uludag, Ahmet (Department of Nuclear Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University) ;
- Silan, Fatma (Department of Nuclear Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University) ;
- Atik, Sinem Yalcintepe (Department of Nuclear Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University) ;
- Turgut, Bulent (Department of Nuclear Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University) ;
- Ozdemir, Ozturk (Department of Nuclear Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Background: P-glycoprotein (Pgp), encoded by the multidrug resistance 1 (MDR1) gene, is an efflux transporter which plays an important role in pharmacokinetics. The current preliminary study was designed to determine associations between a germ-line polymorphism in the MDR1 gene with differentiated thyroid carcinoma (DTC). Materials and Methods: In the current case-control study, 60 differentiated thyroid cancers (DTC)- 45 papillary TC (PTC), 9 follicular TC(FTC) and 6 well-differentiated tumors of uncertain malignant potential (WDT-UMP) were examined. Results were compared to a healthy control group (n=58) from the same population. Genomic DNA was extracted from peripheral blood with EDTA and the target gene was genotyped by real-time PCR. Results: Carriers of the variant allele of MDR1 exon 26 polymorphism were at 2.8-fold higher risk of DTC than the control group (odds ratio [OR]: 0.3805, 95% confidence interval [Cl]: 0.1597-0.9065 (p> 0.046). Conclusions: Presented results suggest that the MDR1 3435TT genotype might influence risk of development of DTC and that the CC genotype might be linked to a poor prognosis. Large-scale studies are now needed to validate this association.
Differentiated thyroid carcinoma;MDR1 gene;increased T allele frequency in codon C3435T
- Akdi A, Perez G, Pastor S, et al (2011). Common variants of the thyroglobulin gene are associated with differentiated thyroid cancer risk. Thyroid, 21, 519-25. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2010.0384
- Ambrosini V, Fani M, Fanti S, et al (2011). Radiopeptide imaging and therapy in Europe. J Nucl Med, 52, 42-55. https://doi.org/10.2967/jnumed.110.085753
- Andersen V, Ostergaard M, Christensen J, et al (2009). Polymorphisms in the xenobiotic transporter Multidrug Resistance 1 (MDR1) and interaction with meat intake in relation to risk of colorectal cancer in a Danish prospective case-cohort study. BMC Cancer, 9, 407. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-9-407
- Caglar M, Bozkurt FM, Akca CK, et al (2012). Comparison of 800 and 3700 MBq iodine-131 for the postoperative ablation of thyroid remnant in patients with low-risk differentiated thyroid cancer. Nucl Med Commun, 33, 268-74. https://doi.org/10.1097/MNM.0b013e32834ec5d6
- Campa D, Sainz J, Pardini B, et al (2012). Comprehensive investigation on common polymorphisms in the MDR1/ABCB1 transporter gene and susceptibility to colorectal cancer. PLoS One, 7, 32784. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0032784
- Crouthamel MH, Wu D, Yang Z, Ho RJ (2010). A novel MDR1 GT1292-3TG (Cys431Leu) genetic variation and its effect on P-glycoprotein biologic functions. AAPS J, 12, 548-55. https://doi.org/10.1208/s12248-010-9216-y
- Deandreis D, Al Ghuzlan A, Auperin A, et al (2012). Is (18) F-Fluorodeoxyglucose-PET/CT useful for the presurgical characterization of thyroid nodules with indeterminate fine needle aspiration cytology? Thyroid, 22, 165-72. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2011.0255
- Dogu GG, Kargi A, Turgut S, et al (2012). MDR1 single nucleotide polymorphism C3435T in Turkish patients with non-small-cell lung cancer. Gene, 506, 404-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gene.2012.06.057
- Fantappie O, Solazzo M, Lasagna N, et al (2007). P-glycoprotein mediates celecoxib-induced apoptosis in multiple drugresistant cell lines. Cancer Res, 67, 4915-23. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-06-3952
- Fung KL, Gottesman MM (2005). A synonymous polymorphism in a common MDR1 (ABCB1) haplotype shapes protein function. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1794, 860-71.
- Geyer J, Gavrilova O, Petzinger E (2009). Brain penetration of ivermectin and selamectin in MDR1a,b P-glycoprotein- and bcrp- deficient knockout mice. J Vet Pharmacol Ther, 32, 87-96. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2885.2008.01007.x
- Gumus-Akay G, Rustemoglu A, Karadag A, et al (2010). Haplotype-based analysis of MDR1/ABCB1 gene polymorphisms in a Turkish population. DNA Cell Biol, 29, 83-90. https://doi.org/10.1089/dna.2009.0953
- He S, Liu F, Xie Z, et al (2010). Glycoprotein/MDR1 regulates pokemon gene transcription through p53 expression in human breast cancer cells. Int J Mol Sci, 11, 3309-051.
- He T, Mo A, Zhang K, Liu L (2013). ABCB1/MDR1 gene polymorphism and colorectal cancer risk: a meta-analysis of case-control studies. Colorectal Dis, 15, 12-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1318.2012.02919.x
- Henriquez-Hernandez LA, Murias-Rosales A, Hernandez Gonzalez A, et al (2009). Gene polymorphisms in TYMS, MTHFR, p53 and MDR1 as risk factors for breast cancer: a case-control study. Oncol Rep, 22,1425-33.
- Huang JS, Zhang XJ, Xu X, et al (2011). Influence of MDR1 gene C3435T on peripheral white blood cell counts in workers exposed to benzene. Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi, 29, 20-3.
- Huang C, Xu D, Xia Q, et al (2012). Reversal of P-glycoproteinmediated multidrug resistance of human hepatic cancer cells by astragaloside II. J Pharm Pharmacol, 64, 1741-50. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-7158.2012.01549.x
- Jasim S, Ying AK, Waguespack SG, et al (2011). Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B with a RET proto-oncogene A883F mutation displays a more indolent form of medullary thyroid carcinoma compared with a RET M918T mutation. Thyroid, 21, 189-92. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2010.0328
- Jin N, Jiang T, Rosen DM, et al (2011). Synergistic action of a RAF inhibitor and a dual PI3K/mTOR inhibitor in thyroid cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 17, 6482-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-11-0933
- Johnstone RW, Ruefli AA, Smyth MJ (2000). Multiple physiological functions for multidrug transporter P-glycoprotein. Trends Biochem Sci, 25,1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0968-0004(99)01493-0
- Kingpetch K, Pipatrattana R, Tepmongkol S, et al (2011). Utility of 8F-FDG PET/CT in well differentiated thyroid carcinoma with high serum antithyroglobulin antibody. J Med Assoc Thai, 94, 1238-44.
- Kroetz DL, Pauli-Magnus C, Hodges LM, et al (2003). Pharmacogenetics of membrane transporters investigators: sequence diversity and haplotype structure in the human ABCB1 (MDR1, multidrug resistance transporter) gene. Pharmacogenetics, 13, 481-94. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008571-200308000-00006
- Lerch C, Richter B (2012). Pharmacotherapy options for advanced thyroid cancer: a systematic review. Drugs, 72, 67-85. https://doi.org/10.2165/11594890-000000000-00000
- Li Y, Yan PW, Huang XE, Li CG (2011). MDR1 gene C3435T polymorphism is associated with clinical outcomes in gastric cancer patients treated with postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2405-9.
- Lu C, Mishra A, Zhu YJ, et al (2010). Genomic profiling of genes contributing to metastasis in a mouse model of thyroid follicular carcinoma. Am J Cancer Res, 1, 1-13.
- Manduz S, Katrancioglu N, Karahan O (2011). Associations between common 3435 C>T variants of the multi-drug resistance [MDR1 (ABCB1)] gene and abdominal aortic aneurysm: a pilot study. Turkish J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 19, 177-18. https://doi.org/10.5606/tgkdc.dergisi.2011.008
- Mondal HP, Sen S, Sasmal S, et al (2011). Clinicopathological correlation of serum TSH in patients with thyroid nodule. J Indian Med Assoc, 109, 330-5.
- Morari EC, Marcello MA, Guilhen AC, et al (2011). Use of sodium iodide symporter expression in differentiated thyroid carcinomas. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf), 75, 247-54. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2011.04032.x
- Moses W, Weng J, Sansano I, et al (2009). Molecular testing for somatic mutations improves the accuracy of thyroid fine-needle aspiration biopsy. World J Surg, 34, 2589-94.
- Moura MM, Cavaco BM, Pinto AE et al (2011). High prevalence of RAS mutations in RET-negative sporadic medullary thyroid carcinomas. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 96, 863-8. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2010-1921
- Nakajima M, Fujiki Y, Kyo S, et al (2005). Pharmacokinetics of paclitaxel in ovarian cancer patients and genetic polymorphisms of CYP2C8, CYP3A4, and MDR1. J Clin Pharmacol, 45, 674-82. https://doi.org/10.1177/0091270005276204
- Nakano A, Watanabe N, Nishizaki Y, et al (2003). Immunohistochemical studies on the expression of P-glycoprotein and p53 in relation to histological differentiation and cell proliferation in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatol Res, 25, 158-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1386-6346(02)00207-3
- Namba H, Nakashima M, Hayashi T, et al (2003). Clinical implication of hot spot BRAF mutation, V599E, in papillary thyroid cancers. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 88, 4393-7. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2003-030305
- Ni LN, Li JY, Miao KR, et al (2011). Multidrug resistance gene (MDR1) polymorphisms correlate with imatinib response in chronic myeloid leukemia. Med Oncol, 28, 265-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-010-9456-9
- Nixon IJ, Ganly I, Patel S, et al (2011). The impact of microscopic extrathyroid extension on outcome in patients with clinical T1 and T2 well-differentiated thyroid cancer. Surgery, 150, 1242-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2011.09.007
- Ozdemir S, Silan F, Hasbek Z (2012). Increased T allele frequency of 677 C>T polymorphism in the MTHFR gene in differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers, 16, 780-4. https://doi.org/10.1089/gtmb.2011.0347
- Qian X, Cao S, Yang G, et al (2012). Variant genotypes of MDR1 C3435T increase the risk of leukemia: evidence from 10 case-control studies. Leuk Lymphoma, 53, 1183-7. https://doi.org/10.3109/10428194.2011.641179
- Quan GM, Pointillart V, Palussière J, et al (2012). Multidisciplinary treatment and survival of patients with vertebral metastases from thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid, 22, 125-30. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2010.0248
- Rao DN, Anuradha C, Vishnupriya S, et al (2010). Association of an MDR1 gene (C3435T) polymorphism with acute leukemia in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1063-6.
- Sabahi Z, Salek R, Heravi RE, et al (2010). Association of gastric cancer incidence with MDR1 gene polymorphism in an ethnic Iranian population. Indian J Cancer, 47, 317-21. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.64723
- Sedov VM, Khmelevskaia VA (2011). Prognosis and long-term results of treatment of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Vestn Khir Im I I Grek, 170, 64-7.
- Schlumberger M, Chougnet C, Baudin E, et al (2011). pour le reseau Tuthyref. [Refractory thyroid cancers]. Presse Med, 40, 1189-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lpm.2011.09.011
- Sharma G, Mirza S, Parshad R, et al (2010). CpG hypomethylation of MDR1 gene in tumor and serum of invasive ductal breast carcinoma patients. Clin Biochem, 43, 373-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2009.10.009
- Sheng X, Zhang L, Tong N, et al (2012). MDR1 C3435T polymorphism and cancer risk: a meta-analysis based on 39 case-control studies. Mol Biol Rep, 39, 7237-49. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-012-1554-7
- Wang D, Johnson AD, Papp AC, et al (2005). Multidrug resistance polypeptide 1 (MDR1, ABCB1) variant 3435C>T affects mRNA stability. Pharmacogenet Genomics, 15, 693-704. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.fpc.0000178311.02878.83
- Wang J, Wang B, Bi J, et al (2012). MDR1 gene C3435T polymorphism and cancer risk: a meta-analysis of 34 casecontrol studies. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 138, 979-89. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-012-1171-9
- Weier HU, Kwan J, Lu CM, et al (2009). Kinase expression and chromosomal rearrangements in papillary thyroid cancer tissues: investigations at the molecular and microscopic levels. J Physiol Pharmacol, 60, 47-55.
- Zakani A, Saghari M, Eftekhari M, et al (2011). Evaluation of radioiodine therapy in differentiated thyroid cancer subjects with elevated serum thyroglobulin and negative whole body scan using 131I with emphasize on the thallium scintigraphy in these subgroups. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 15, 1215-21.
- A Cyclin D1 (CCND1) Gene Polymorphism Contributes to Susceptibility to Papillary Thyroid Cancer in the Turkish Population vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7181
- EGF Reverses Multi-drug Resistance via the p-ERK Pathway in HepG2/ADM and SMMC7721/ADM Hepatocellular Carcinoma Models vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2619
- MDR1 C3435T and C1236T Polymorphisms: Association with High-risk Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2839
- Influence of Genotype and Haplotype of MDR1 (C3435T, G2677A/T, C1236T) on the Incidence of Breast Cancer - a Case-Control Study in Jordan vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.261
- Tc-MIBI scintigraphy and histology vol.174, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1530/EJE-15-1199