- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Gene Polymorphisms and Gastric Cancer in Iran
- Abediankenari, Saeid (Department of Immunology, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Jeivad, Fereshteh (Department of Toxicology and Pharmacology, Tehran University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Background: Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) is a transmembrane receptor which contributes to many processes involved in cell survival, proliferation and inhibits apoptosis, that may lead to cancer development. Gastric cancer is one of the most common diseases of digestive system that has low 5-year-survival. The aim of this research was to determine the significance of EGFR tyrosine kinase domain gene polymorphisms in gastric cancer in Iran. Materials and Methods: In the present study, 83 patients with gastric cancer and 40 normal subjects were investigated for EGFR gene polymorphisms in exons 18-21 by PCR-SSCP. Then, DNA sequencing was conducted for different mobility shift bands. Finally the data were statistically analyzed using the chi-2 test and the SPSSver.16 program. Results: Exon 18 of EGFR gene showed three different bands in SSCP pattern and DNA sequencing displayed one mutation. SSCP pattern of Exons 19 and 21 did not show different migration bands. Exon 20 of EGFR gene revealed multiple migrate bands in SSCP pattern. DNA sequencing displayed 2 mutations in this exon: one mutation was caused amino acid change and another mutation was silent. Conclusion: It may be that EGFR tyrosine kinase gene polymorphisms differ between populations and screening could be useful in gastric cancer patients who might benefit from tyrosine kinase inhibitor therapy.
- Alanazi M, Abduljaleel Z, Khan W, et al (2011). Silico analysis of single nucleotide polymorphism (SNPs) in human b-globin gene. PLoS ONE, 6, 25876. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0025876
- Aly RM, El-Sharnobyand MR, Hagag AA (2011). Prognostic significance of NRAS gene mutations in children with acute myelogenous leukemia. Mediterr J Hematol Infect Dis, 3, 2011059. https://doi.org/10.4084/mjhid.2011.059
- Capon F, Allen MH, Ameen M, et al (2004). A synonymous SNP of the corneodesmosin gene leads to increased mRNA stability and demonstrates association with psoriasis across diverse ethnic groups. Human Mol Genet, 13, 2361-68. https://doi.org/10.1093/hmg/ddh273
- Crew KD, Neugut AI (2006). Epidemiology of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 354-62.
- Dahabreh IJ, Linardou H, Kosmidis P, Bafaloukos D, Murray S (2011). EGFR gene copy number as a predictive biomarker for patients receiving tyrosine kinase inhibitor treatment: a systematic review and meta-analysis in non-small-cell lung cancer. Annals Oncology, 22, 545-52. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq432
- Dicken BJ, Bigam DL, Cass C, et al (2005). Gastric adenocarcinoma: review and considerations for future directions. Ann Surg, 241, 27-39.
- Farrokhi E, Shayesteh F, Asadi Mobarakeh S, et al (2011). Molecular Characterization of Iranian Patients With Possible Familial Hypercholesterolemia. Ind J Clin Biochem, 26, 244-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12291-011-0113-7
- Gravalos C, Jimeno A (2008). HER2 in gastric cancer: a new prognostic factor and a novel therapeutic target. Annals Oncology, 19, 1523-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdn169
- Galizia G, Lieto E, Orditura M, et al (2007). Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) Expression is Associated With a Worse Prognosis in Gastric Cancer Patients Undergoing Curative Surgery. World J Surg, 31, 1458-68. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-007-9016-4
- George P, Doss C (2012). In Silico profiling of deleterious amino acid substitutions of potential pathological importance in haemophlia A and haemophlia B. J Biomed Sci, 16, 19-30.
- Gharahkhani PA, O'Leary C, Kyaw-Tanner MA, et al (2011). A non-synonymous mutation in the canine PKD1 gene is associated with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease in bull terriers. PLoS One. 6, 22455. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0022455
- Goncalves A, Esteyries S, Taylor-Smedra B, et al (2008). A polymorphism of EGFR extracellular domain is associated with progression free-survival in metastatic colorectal cancer patients receiving cetuximab-based treatment. BMC Cancer, 8, 169. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-8-169
- Johnson MM, Houck J, Chen C (2005). Screening for deleterious nonsynonymous single-nucleotide polymorphisms in genes involved in steroid hormone metabolism and response. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 1326-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-04-0815
- Kimchi-sarfaty C, Oh JM, Kim IW, et al (2007). A silent polymorphism in the MDR1 gene changes substrate specificity. Sciences, 315, 525-8. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1135308
- Krasinskas AM (2011). EGFR signaling in colorectal carcinoma. Patholog Res Int, 2011, 932932
- Lee JW, Soung YH, Kim SY, et al (2005). Somatic mutations of EGFR gene in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 2879-82. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-2029
- Lee JW, Soung YH, Kim SY, et al (2005). Absence of EGFR mutation in the kinas domain in common human cancers besides non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Cancer, 113, 510-1. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20591
- Liakakos T, Xeropotamos N, Ziogas D, Roukos D (2008). EGFR as a prognostic marker for gastric cancer. World J Surg, 32, 1225-26. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-007-9434-3
- Liang Z, Zeng X, Gao J, et al (2008). Analysis of EGFR, HER2, and TOP2A gene status and chromosomal polysomy in gastric adenocarcinoma from Chinese patients. BMC Cancer, 8, 363 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-8-363
- Liu Y, Lu X, Luo YR, et al (2009). Effect of single nucleotide polymorphism of IRF1 gene on cytokine traits in three pig breeds. J Anim Vet Adv, 18, 2346-50.
- Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan MH, Malekzadeh Z, et al (2009). Gastric cancer in Iran: epidemiology and risk factors. Arch Iran Med, 12, 576-83.
- Mammano E, Belluco C, Sciro M, et al (2006). Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR): mutational and protein expression analysis in gastric cancer. Anticancer Res, 26, 3547-50.
- Marchetti A, Martella C, Felicioni L, et al (2005). EGFR mutations in non-small-cell lung cancer: analysis of a large series of cases and development of a rapid and sensitive method for diagnostic screening with potential implications on pharmacologic treatment. J Clin Oncol, 23, 857-65. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.08.043
- Masoodi TA, Al Shammari SA, Al-Muammar MN, Almubrad TM, Alhamdan AA (2012). Screening and structural evaluation of deleterious Non-Synonymous SNPs of ePHA2 gene involved in susceptibility to cataract formation. Bioinformation, 8, 562-7. https://doi.org/10.6026/97320630008562
- Mimori K, Nagahara H, Sudo T, et al (2006). The epidermal growth factor receptor gene sequence is highly conserved in primary gastric cancers. J Surg Oncol, 93, 44-46. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20426
- Moutinho C, Mateus AR, Milanezi F, et al (2008). Epidermal growth factor receptor structural alterations in gastric cancer. BMC Cancer, 8, 8-10 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-8-8
- Mu XL, Li LY, Zhang XT, et al (2005). Gefitinib-sensitive mutations of the epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase domain in chinese patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 4289-94. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-2506
- Nishio K, Arao T, Kato T, Yokote H (2006). EGFR mutation in various tissues. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 58, 39-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-006-0314-6
- Paez JG, Jänne PA, Lee JC, et al (2004). EGFR mutations in lung cancer: correlation with clinical response to gefitinib therapy. Science, 304, 1497-500. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1099314
- Pao W, Miller V, Zakowski M, et al (2004). EGF receptor gene mutations are common in lung cancers from “never smokers” and are associated with sensitivity of tumors to gefitinib and erlotinib. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 101, 13306-11. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0405220101
- TJ Pugh, G Bebb, L Barclay, et al (2007). Correlations of EGFR mutations and increases in EGFR and HER2 copy number to gefitinib response in a retrospective analysis of lung cancer patients. BMC Cancer, 7, 128. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-7-128
- Varadhachary G, Ajani JA (2005). Gastric cancer. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol, 3, 118-24.
- Yang SY, Yang TY, Li YJ, Chen K-C and et al. EGFR exon 19 in-frame deletion and polymorphisms of DNA repair genes in never-smoking female lung adenocarcinoma patients. Int J Cancer, 132, 449-58.
- Zhang X, Chang A (2008). Molecular predictors of EGFR-TKI sensitivity in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Med Sci, 5, 209-17ß
- Analysis of Indoleamine 2-3 Dioxygenase (IDO) and EGFR Co-expression in Breast Cancer Tissue by Immunohistochemistry vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5535
- MicroRNA-34 dysregulation in gastric cancer and gastric cancer stem cell vol.39, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1010428317701652