- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Viral Hepatitis and Liver Cancer on the Island of Guam
- Haddock, R.L. (Guam Department of Public Health and Social Services and University of Guam) ;
- Paulino, Y.C. (Cancer Research Center of Guam, University of Guam) ;
- Bordallo, R. (Guam Cancer Registry, University of Guam)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Patient records from the Guam Cancer Registry were compared with patients listed in a health department viral hepatitis case registry and the numbers of liver cancer and viral hepatitis cases were compared by ethnicity. Hepatitis C was the form of viral hepatitis most common among liver cancer cases on Guam (63.3% of viral hepatitis-associated liver cancer cases). Since viral hepatitis is an important cause of liver cancer, studies such as the present one may provide the information necessary to establish programs (screening of populations at risk and infant vaccination in the case of hepatitis B, for example) that may lessen the impact of liver cancer in the future.
- Guam State Data Center, Bureau of Statistics and Plans, Government of Guam (2010). Census of Population and Housing, Demographic Program SummaryFile:2010. Hagatna, Guam, November 2012.
- Carano P, Sanchez PC (1968). A Complete History of Guam. Rutland, Vermont and Tokyo, Japan: Charles E. Tuttle.
- Cox LM, DornEJ, McIntosh KC, et al (1926). The Island of Guam. Washington, D.C. Government Printing Office.
- Haddock RL (ed) (2010). A History of Health on Guam. 3rd edition Hagatna, Guam: Guam Football (Soccer) League.
- Haddock RL (2013). Shining light on cancer in the Pacific HJMPH, 72, 107-8
- Haddock RL, Talon RJ, Whippy HJD (2006). Ethnic disparities in cancer mortality among residents of Guam. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 411-4.
- Haddock RL, Whippy HJD, Talon RJ, Montano MV (2009). Ethnic disparities in cancer incidence among residents of Guam. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 57-62.
- Moore MA, Baumann F, Foliaki S, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology in the Pacific Islands - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11 Asian Epidemiology Suppl, 99-106.
- Overview of Cancer Registration Research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013 vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- Comparison of Viral Hepatitis-Associated Hepatocellular Carcinoma Due to HBV and HCV - Cohort from Liver Clinics in Pakistan vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7563
- An overview of hepatitis B prevalence, prevention, and management in the Pacific Islands and Territories vol.29, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/jgh.12684
- Prenatal Screening for and Prevalence of Hepatitis B Surface Antigen in Pregnant Women and Prevention of Transmission to Infants Born to Infected Mothers—Guam, 2014 pp.2048-7207, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1093/jpids/pix062