- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Protective Effects of -Paradol on Histological Lesions and Immunohistochemical Gene Expression in DMBA Induced Hamster Buccal Pouch Carcinogenesis
- Mariadoss, Arokia Vijayaanand (Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University) ;
- Kathiresan, Suresh (Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University) ;
- Muthusamy, Rajasekar (Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University) ;
- Kathiresan, Sivakumar (Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Background: The search for naturally occurring agents in routinely consumed foods that may inhibit cancer development is of high priority. -Paradol is a pungent phenolic bioactive component from ginger with welldocumented health promoting antioxidant, antimutagenic, antigenotoxic and anti-inflammatory properties. However, anticarcinogenic effects have yet to be fully explored. The objectives of the present study were therefore to assess protective effects against 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene (DMBA) induced buccal pouch carcinogenesis in male golden Syrian hamsters. Methods: Oral squamous cell carcinomas developed in the left buccal pouch of hamsters on painting with 0.5% of DMBA, three times in a week. To assess the apoptotic associated gene expressing potential of -paradol, it was orally administered to DMBA treated hamsters on alternate days from DMBA painting for 14 weeks. Results: We observed 100% tumor formation with marked levels of neoplastic changes and altered the expression of apoptotic associated gene (p53, bcl-2, caspase-3 and TNF-
-paradol;apoptosis;DMBA;hamster;oral squamous cell carcinoma
- Bishayee A, Mbimba T, Thoppil RJ, et al (2011). Anthocyanin rich black currant (Ribes nigrum L.) extract affords chemoprevention against diethylnitrosamine induced hepatocellular carcinogenesis in rats. J Nutr Biochem, 22, 1035-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2010.09.001
- Bourdon JC (2007). p53 and its isoforms in cancer. Br J Cancer, 97, 277-82. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6603886
- Bratton SB, Cohen GM (2001). Caspase cascades in chemically induced apoptosis. Adv Exp Med Biol, 500, 407-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4615-0667-6_63
- Cotran RS, Kumar V, Robbins SL, Pathologic basis of disease. (Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders, 1994) p. 1129.
- Coultas L, Strasser A (2003). The role of the Bcl-2 protein family in cancer. Semin Cancer Biol, 13, 115-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1044-579X(02)00129-3
- Crowe DL, Sinha UK (2006). p53 apoptotic response to DNA damage dependent on bcl2 but not bax in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma lines. Head Neck, 28, 15-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.20319
- Cruz I, Napier SS, Van der Waal I, et al (2002). Specific p53 immunostaining patterns are associated with smoking habits in patients with oral squamous cell carcinomas. J Clin Pathol, 55, 834-40. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.55.11.834
- Elliott MJ, Maini RN, Feldmann M, et al (1994). Repeated therapy with monoclonal antibody to tumour necrosis factor alpha (cA2) in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Lancet, 344, 1125-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(94)90632-7
- Englaro W, Bahadoran P, Bertolotto C, et al (1999). Tumor necrosis factor alpha-mediated inhibition of melanogenesis is dependent on nuclear factor kappa B activation. Oncogene, 18, 1553-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1202446
- Fraser A, Evan G (1996). A license to kill. Cell, 85, 781-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(00)81005-3
- Hasnan J, Suhaila A, Mogana Das M, Fauziah M (2012). Expression of bax and bcl-2 in tumour cells and blood vessels of breast cancer and their association with angiogenesis and hormonal receptors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3857-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3857
- He Z, Ma WY, Hashimoto T, et al (2003). Induction of apoptosis by caffeine is mediated by the p53, Bax, and caspase 3 pathways. Cancer Res, 63, 4396-401.
- Jemal R, Siegel E, Ward Y, et al (2009). Cancer statistics, 2009. CA Cancer J Clin, 59, 225-49. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20006
- Keum YS, Kim J, Lee KH, et al (2002). Induction of apoptosis and caspase-3 activation by chemopreventive -paradol and structurally related compounds in KB cells. Cancer Lett, 177, 41-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(01)00781-9
- Kim DH, Kundu JK, Surh YJ (2011). Redox modulation of p53: mechanisms and functional significance. Mol Carcinog, 50, 222-34. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.20709
- Kischkel FC, Lawrence DA, Chuntharapai A, et al (2000). Apo2L/TRAIL-dependent recruitment of endogenous FADD and caspase-8 to death receptors 4 and 5. Immunity, 12, 611-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1074-7613(00)80212-5
- Leibowitz B, Yu J (2010). Mitochondrial signaling in cell death via the Bcl-2 family. Cancer Biol Ther, 9, 417-22. https://doi.org/10.4161/cbt.9.6.11392
- Locksley HD, Rainey DK, Rohan TA (1972). Pungent compounds. Part I. An improved synthesis of the paradols (alkyl 4-hydroxy-3-methoxyphenethyl ketones) and an assessment of their pungency. J Chem Soc Perkin Trans, 1, 3001-6.
- Martinou JC, Youle RJ (2011). Mitochondria in apoptosis: Bcl-2 family members and mitochondrial dynamics. Dev Cell, 21, 92-101 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.devcel.2011.06.017
- Marur S, D'Souza G, Westra WH, Forastiere AA (2010). HPV associated head and neck cancer: a virus related cancer epidemic. Lancet Oncol, 11, 781-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(10)70017-6
- Mitselou A, Karapiperides D, Nesseris I, Vougiouklakis T, Agnantis NJ (2010). Altered expression of cell cycle and apoptotic proteins in human liver pathologies. Anticancer Res, 30, 4493-501.
- Muller-Ladner U, Alten R, Heiligenhaus A, et al (2009). TNF alpha related chronic inflammatory diseases - a new multiple diseases bridging concept. Dtsch Med Wochenschr, 134, 2132-6. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0029-1242011
- Munshi A, Pappas G, Honda T, et al (2001). TRAIL (APO-2L) induces apoptosis in human prostate cancer cells that is inhibitable by Bcl-2. Oncogene, 20, 3757-65. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1204504
- Nakagawa K, Yamamura K, Maeda S, Ichihashi M (1994). Bcl-2 expression in epidermal keratinocytic diseases. Cancer, 74, 1720-724. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19940915)74:6<1720::AID-CNCR2820740613>3.0.CO;2-T
- Porter AG, Janicke RU (1996). Emerging roles of caspase-3 in apoptosis. Cell Death Differ, 6, 99-104
- Prunet C, Lemaire SE, Menetrier F (2005). Activation of caspase-3 dependent and independent pathways during 7-ketocholesterol and beta hydroxycholesterol induced cell death: a morphological and biochemical study. J Biochem Mol Toxicol, 19, 311-26. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbt.20096
- Ramirez-Mares MV, Chandra S, De Mejia EG (2004). In vitro chemopreventive activity of Camellia sinensis, Ilex paraguariensis and Ardisia compressa tea extracts and selected polyphenols. Mutat Res, 554, 53-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrfmmm.2004.03.002
- Ramos-Vara JA (2005). Technical aspects of immunohistochemistry. Vet Pathol, 42, 405-26. https://doi.org/10.1354/vp.42-4-405
- Rivlin N, Brosh R, Oren M, Rotter V (2011). Mutations in the p53 tumor suppressor gene: important milestones at the various steps of tumorigenesis. Genes & Cancer, 2, 466-74 https://doi.org/10.1177/1947601911408889
- Rundle A, Tang D, Hibshoosh H, et al (2000). The relationship between genetic damage from polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in breast tissue and breast cancer. Carcinogenesis, 21, 128-89.
- Salley JJ (1954). Experimental carcinogenesis in the cheek pouch of the Syrian Hamster. J Dent Res, 33, 253-62. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345540330021201
- Satoh M, Kondo Y, Mita M, et al (1993). Prevention of carcinogenicity of anticancer drugs by metallothionein induction. Cancer Res, 53, 4767-78.
- Shirkoohi R, Fujita HG, Darmanin S, Takimoto M (2012). Gelsolin induces promonocytic leukemia differentiation accompanied by upregulation of p21CIP1. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4827-834 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4827
- Smith EM, Rubenstein LM, Haugen TH (2010). Tobacco and alcohol use increases the risk of both HPV-associated and HPV independent head and neck cancers. Cancer Causes Control, 2, 1369-378
- Suresh K, Manoharan S, Arokia Vijayaanand M, Sugunadevi G (2010). Chemopreventive and antioxidant efficacy of (6)-paradol in 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene induced hamster buccal pouch carcinogenesis. Pharamacol Rep, 62, 1178-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1734-1140(10)70380-7
- Takiar R, Nadayil D, Nandakumar A (2010). Projections of number of cancer cases in India (2010-2020) by cancer groups. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1045-59.
- Takuji T, Mayu T, Takahiro T (2011). Oral carcinogenesis and oral cancer chemoprevention. A Review Pathol Res Int, 1, 10.
- Tanaka T (1997). Chemoprevention of human cancer: biology and therapy. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 25, 139-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1040-8428(97)00232-1
- Thomson M, Al-Qattan KK, Al-Sawan SM, et al (2002). The use of ginger (Zingiber officinale Rosc.) as a potential anti-inflammatory and antithrombotic agent. Essent Fatty Acids, 67, 475-8. https://doi.org/10.1054/plef.2002.0441
- White B (2007). Ginger: an overview. Amm Fam Physician, 75, 1689-91.
- Spices for Prevention and Treatment of Cancers vol.8, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8080495
- Modulating effect of hesperetin on the molecular expression pattern of apoptotic and cell proliferative markers in 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene-induced oral carcinogenesis pp.1744-4160, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/13813455.2018.1555600