- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Endostar Combined with Cisplatin Inhibits Tumor Growth and Lymphatic Metastasis of Lewis Lung Carcinoma Xenografts in Mice
- Dong, Xiao-Peng (Department of Thoracic Surgery, Second Hospital of Shandong University, Shandong University) ;
- Xiao, Tian-Hui (Department of Thoracic Surgery, Second Hospital of Shandong University, Shandong University) ;
- Dong, Hong (Department of Thoracic Surgery, Second Hospital of Shandong University, Shandong University) ;
- Jiang, Ning (Department of Thoracic Surgery, Second Hospital of Shandong University, Shandong University) ;
- Zhao, Xiao-Gang (Department of Thoracic Surgery, Second Hospital of Shandong University, Shandong University)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Objective: To investigate the effects of endostar, a recombined humanized endostatin, plus cisplatin on the growth, lymphangiogenesis and lymphatic metastasis of the Lewis lung carcinoma (LLC) in mice. Methods: A tumor model were established in C57BL/6 mice by intravenious transplantation of LLC cells. Then the mice were randomized to receive administration with NS, endostar, cisplatin, or endostar plus cisplatin. After the mice were sacrificed, tumor multiplicity, tumor size and lymph node metastasis were assessed. Then the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor-c (VEGF-C) and podoplanin were determined by immunohistochemical staining. Results: Endostar plus cisplatin significantly suppressed tumor growth. lymphatic metastasis and prolonged survival time of the mice without obvious toxicity. The inhibition of lymphatic metastasis was associated with decreased microlymphatic vessel density (MLVD) and expression of VEGF-C. Conclusions: Endostar combined with cisplatin was more effective to suppress tumor growth and lymphatic metastasis than either agent alone. Thus this may provide a rational alternative for lung carcinoma treatment.
- Brideau G, Makinen MJ, Elamaa H, et al (2007). Endostatin overexpression inhibits lymphangiogenesis and lymph node metastasis in mice. Cancer Res, 67, 11528-35. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-07-1458
- Boehm T, Folkman J, Browder T, et al (1997). Antiangiogenic therapy of experimental cancer dose not induce acquired drug resistance. Nature, 390, 404-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/37126
- Cheng K, Zhao F, Gao F, et al (2012). Factors potentially associated with chemotherapy-induced anemia in patients with solid cancers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5057-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5057
- Detmar M, Hirakawa S (2002). The formation of lymphatic vessels and its importance in the setting of malignancy. J Exp Med, 196, 713-8. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.20021346
- Folkman J (2006). Angiogenesis in cancer therapy-endostatin and its mechanisms of action. Exp Cell Res, 312, 594-607. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yexcr.2005.11.015
- Fukumoto S, Morifuji M, Katakura Y, et al (2005). Endostatin inhibits lymph node metastasis by a down-regulation of the vascular endothelial growth factor C expression in tumor cells. Clin Exp Metastasis, 22, 31-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10585-005-3973-5
- Han Q, Fu Y, Zhou H, et al (2007). Contributions of Zn (II)-binding to the structural stability of endostatin. FEBS Lett, 581, 3027-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.febslet.2007.05.058
- Huang G, Chen L (2010). Recombinant human endostatin improves anti-tumor efficacy of paclitaxel by normalizing tumor vasculature in Lewis lung carcinoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 136, 1201-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-010-0770-6
- Klement G, Huang P, Mayer B, et al (2002). Differences in therapeutic indexes of combination metronomic chemotherapy and an anti-VEGFR-2 antibody in multidrugresistant human breast cancer xenografts. Clin Cancer Res, 8, 221-32.
- Krishnan J, Kirkin V, Steffen A, et al (2003). Differential in vivo and in vitro expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-C and VEGF-D in tumors and its relationship to lymphatic metastasis in immunocompetent rats. Cancer Res, 63, 713-22.
- Ling Y, Yang Y, Lu N, et al (2007). Endostar, a novel recombinant human endostatin, exerts antiangiogenic effect via blocking VEGF-induced tyrosine phosphorylation of KDR/Flk-1 of endothelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 361, 79-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2007.06.155
- Liu ZY, Qiu HO, Yuan XJ,et al (2012). Suppression of lymphangiogenesis in human lymphatic endothelial cells by simultaneously blocking VEGF-C and VEGF-D/VEGFR-3 with norcantharidin. Int J Oncol, 41, 1762-72.
- Makinen T, Jussila L, Veikkola T (2001). Inhibition of lymphangiogenesis with resulting lymphedema in transgenic mice expressing soluble VEGF receptor-3. Nat Med, 7, 199-205. https://doi.org/10.1038/84651
- Ma X, Yao Y, Yuan D, et al (2012). Recombinant human endostatin endostar suppresses angiogenesis and lymphangiogenesis of malignant pleural effusion in mice. PLoS One, 7, e53449. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0053449
- Miller KD, Sweeney CJ, Sledge GW (2001). Redefining the target: chemotherapeutics as antiangiogenics. J Clin Oncol, 19, 1195-206.
- Nyberg P, Xie L, Kalluri R (2005). Endogenous inhibitors of angiogenesis. Cancer Res, 65, 3967-79. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-04-2427
- O'Reilly MS, Boehm T, Shing Y(1997). Endostatin: an endogenous inhibitor of angiogenesis and tumor growth. Cell, 88, 277-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(00)81848-6
- Rong B, Yang S, Li W, et al (2012). Systematic review and meta-analysis of Endostar (rh-endostatin) combined with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for treating advanced non-small cell lung cancer. World J Surg Oncol, 24, 170.
- Shao XJ, Xie FM(2005). Influence of angiogenesis inhibitors, endostatin and PF-4, on lymphangiogenesis. Lymphology, 38, 1-8.
- Shimizu K, Kubo H, Yamaguchi K (2004). Suppression of VEGFR-3 signaling inhibits lymph node metastasis in gastric cancer. Cancer Sci, 5, 328-33.
- Sun Y, Wang J, Liu Y, et al (2005). Results of phase III trial of rhendostatin (YH-16) in advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients. Annual ASCO Meeting, May in FL, USA.
- Wakisaka N, Hirota K, Kondo S, et al (2012). Induction of lymphangiogenesis through vascular endothelial growth factor-C/vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 3 axis and its correlation with lymph node metastasis in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oral Oncol, 48, 703-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2012.02.003
- Wang Z, Chen Y, Li X, et al (2012). Expression of VEGF-C/VEGFR-3 in human laryngeal squamous cell carcinomas and its significance for lymphatic metastasis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 27-31. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.027
- Yancopoulos GD, Davis S, Gale NW(2000). Vascular-speciflc growth factors and blood vessel formation. Nature, 407, 242-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/35025215
- Anti-Tumor Effect of a Novel Soluble Recombinant Human Endostatin: Administered as a Single Agent or in Combination with Chemotherapy Agents in Mouse Tumor Models vol.9, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0107823
- Clinical Application of Recombinant Human Endostatin in Postoperative Early Complementary Therapy on Patients with Non-small Cell Lung Cancer in Chinese Mainland vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.4013
- and cisplatin in physiological solution vol.17, pp.39, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1039/C5CP02688A
- Effect of Endostar combined with angiopoietin-2 inhibitor on malignant pleural effusion in mice vol.32, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0410-0
- C60 fullerene enhances cisplatin anticancer activity and overcomes tumor cell drug resistance vol.10, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12274-016-1324-2
- Preparation of endostatin-loaded chitosan nanoparticles and evaluation of the antitumor effect of such nanoparticles on the Lewis lung cancer model vol.24, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/10717544.2016.1247927
- Downregulation of survivin expression exerts antitumoral effects on mouse breast cancer cells in vitro and in vivo vol.11, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2015.3870
- Differential effects of recombinant human endostatin treatment on differentiated and undifferentiated blood vessels in Lewis lung cancer vol.13, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.5446
- Potential lymphangiogenesis therapies: Learning from current antiangiogenesis therapies-A review vol.38, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/med.21496