- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The C Allele of a Synonymous SNP (rs1805414, Ala284Ala) in PARP1 is a Risk Factor for Susceptibility to Breast Cancer in Saudi Patients
- Alanazi, Mohammed (Genome Research Chair, Department of Biochemistry, College of Science, King Saud University) ;
- Pathan, Akbar Ali Khan (Genome Research Chair, Department of Biochemistry, College of Science, King Saud University) ;
- Shaik, Jilani P. (Genome Research Chair, Department of Biochemistry, College of Science, King Saud University) ;
- Al Amri, Abdullah (Genome Research Chair, Department of Biochemistry, College of Science, King Saud University) ;
- Parine, Narasimha Reddy (Genome Research Chair, Department of Biochemistry, College of Science, King Saud University)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Background: Genetic aberrations of DNA repair enzymes are known to be common events associated with different cancer entities. The aim of the present study was to analyze genetic associations of rs1805404 (Asp81Asp) and rs1805414 (Ala284Ala) in the PARP1 gene with the risk of breast cancer in Saudi Arabia. Materials and Methods: These two SNP's were analyzed in a primary study group of breast cancer patients and healthy control subjects. Genotypes were determined by TaqMan SNP testing and analyzed using Chi-square or t test and logistic regression analysis with SPSS16.0 software. Results and Conclusions: Results showed that rs1805414 was associated with a significantly increased susceptibility to breast cancer, significant risk being observed for the TC, CC and TC+CC genotypes. In conclusion PARP1 rs1805414 SNP polymorphisms may be involved in the etiology of breast cancer in the Saudi population. In contrast, PARP1 rs1805404 did not show any significant association in overall in breast cancer samples when compared to healthy controls. Confirmation of our findings in larger populations of different ethnicities may provide evidence for a role of the PARP1 gene in breast carcinoma developnment.
- Anderson WF, Chen BSE, Jatoi I, et al (2006). Effects of estrogen receptor expression and histopathology on annual hazard rates of death from breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Tr, 100, 121-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-006-9231-y
- Berndt SI, Huang WY, Fallin MD, et al (2007). Genetic variation in base excision repair genes and the prevalence of advanced colorectal adenoma. Cancer Res, 67, 1395-404. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-06-1390
- Cao WH, Wang XG, Frappart L, et al (2007). Analysis of genetic variants of the poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 gene in breast cancer in French patients. Mutation Research-Genetic Toxicol Environm Mut, 632, 20-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2007.04.011
- Cottet F, Blanche H, Verasdonck P, et al (2000). New polymorphisms in the human poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 coding sequence: lack of association with longevity or with increased cellular poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation capacity. J Mol Med (Berl), 78, 431-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001090050488
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). GLOBOCAN 2008 v1.2, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC Cancer Base No. 10 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer. Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr, accessed on 11/03/2012.
- Figueroa JD, Malats N, Real FX, et al (2007). Genetic variation in the base excision repair pathway and bladder cancer risk. Human Genet, 121, 233-42. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00439-006-0294-y
- Hao BT, Wang HJ, Zhou KX, et al (2004). Identification of genetic variants in base excision repair pathway and their associations with risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res, 64, 4378-84. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-04-0372
- Heinen CD, Schmutte C, Fishel R (2002). DNA repair and tumorigenesis: lessons from hereditary cancer syndromes. Cancer Biol Ther, 1, 477-485. https://doi.org/10.4161/cbt.1.5.160
- Hoeijmakers JHJ (2007). Genome maintenance mechanisms are critical for preventing cancer as well as other agingassociated diseases. Mech Ageing Dev, 128, 460-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mad.2007.05.002
- Johnson-Thompson MC, Guthrie J (2000). Ongoing research to identify environmental risk factors in breast carcinoma. Cancer, 88, 1224-29. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(20000301)88:5+<1224::AID-CNCR8>3.0.CO;2-H
- Keller A, Harz C, Matzas M, et al (2011). identification of novel snps in glioblastoma using targeted resequencing. Plos One, 6.
- Kim MY, Zhang T, Kraus WL (2005). Poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation by PARP-1: 'PAR-laying' NAD(+) into a nuclear signal. Gene Dev, 19, 1951-67. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.1331805
- Liu HP, Lin WY, Wu BT, et al(2010). Evaluation of the poly(ADPribose) polymerase-1 gene variants in Alzheimer's disease. J Clin Lab Anal, 24, 182-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcla.20379
- Livak KJ (1999). Allelic discrimination using fluorogenic probes and the 5' nuclease assay. Genet Anal-Biomol E, 14, 143-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1050-3862(98)00019-9
- Lockett KL, Hall MC, Xu J, et al(2004). The ADPRT V762A genetic variant contributes to prostate cancer susceptibility and deficient enzyme function. Cancer Res, 64, 6344-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-04-0338
- Masutani M, Nakagama H, Sugimura T (2003). Poly(ADPribose) and carcinogenesis. Gene Chromosome Canc, 38, 339-48. https://doi.org/10.1002/gcc.10250
- Milani L, Gupta M, Dhar S, et al (2007). Allelic imbalance in gene expression as a guide to cis-acting regulatory single nucleoticle polymorphisms. Eur J Clin Invest, 37, 80-1.
- Ogino H, Nakayama R, Sakamoto H, et al (2010). Analysis of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 (PARP1) gene alteration in human germ cell tumor cell lines. Cancer Genet Cytogen, 197, 8-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cancergencyto.2009.10.012
- Pero RW, Roush GC, Markowitz MM, et al (1990). Oxidative stress, DNA repair, and cancer susceptibility. Cancer Detect Prev, 14, 555-61.
- Rajaee-Behbahani N, Schmezer P, Ramroth H, et al (2002). Reduced poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation in lymphocytes of laryngeal cancer patients: results of a case-control study. Int J Cancer, 98, 780-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10234
- Saudi National Cancer Registry (2011). Cancer Incidence and Survival Report Saudi Arabia 2007. Riyadh.
- Schreiber V, Dantzer F, Ame JC, et al (2006). Poly(ADP-ribose): novel functions for an old molecule. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol, 7, 517-28. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrm1963
- Shiokawa M, Masutani M, Fujihara H, et al (2005). Genetic alteration of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 in human germ cell tumors. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 35, 97-102. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyi028
- Tong WM, Cortes U, Wang ZQ (2001). Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase: a guardian angel protecting the genome and suppressing tumorigenesis. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1552, 27-37.
- Wu BT, Lin WY, Chou IC, et al (2013). Association of poly(ADPribose) polymerase-1 polymorphism with Tourette syndrome. Neurol Sci, (Inpress).
- Association between PARP-1 V762A Polymorphism and Breast Cancer Susceptibility in Saudi Population vol.8, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0085541
- Breast Cancer in Iraq, Incidence Trends from 2000-2009 vol.15, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.281
- Germline Variations of Apurinic/Apyrimidinic Endonuclease 1 (APEX1) Detected in Female Breast Cancer Patients vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7589
- Novel Mutations in IL-10 Promoter Region -377 (C>T), -150 (C>A) and their Association with Psoriasis in the Saudi Population vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1247
- Gene 3′Untranslated Region Polymorphism in Colorectal Cancer Risk among Saudi Cohort vol.2016, pp.1875-8630, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/8289293
- The Relationship Between Single-Nucleotide Polymorphisms, the Expression of DNA Damage Response Genes, and Hepatocellular Carcinoma in a Polish Population vol.36, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1089/dna.2017.3664