- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Synergistic Anticancer Activity of 5-Aminolevulinic Acid Photodynamic Therapy in Combination with Low-dose Cisplatin on Hela Cells
- Wei, Xiao-Qiang (Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University) ;
- Ma, Hui-Qing (Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao University Medical College) ;
- Liu, Ai-Hong (Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Qingdao Haici Medical Group) ;
- Zhang, You-Zhong (Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Objective: Photodynamic therapy (PDT ) is a promising modality for the treatment of various tumors. In order to assist in optimizing treatment, we applied 5-ALA/PDT in combination with low-dose cisplatin to evaluate cytotoxicity in Hela cells. Methods: Antiproliferative effects of 5-ALA/PDT and cisplatin, alone and in combination, were assessed using MTT assay. To examine levels of apoptosis, Hela cells treated with 5-ALA/PDT, and combination treatment were assessed with Annexin-V/PI by flow cytometry. To investigate the molecular mechanisms underlying alterations in cell proliferation and apoptosis, Western blot analysis was conducted to determine the expression of p53, p21, Bax and Bcl-2 proteins. Results: MTT assays indicated that combination treatment obviously decreased the viability of Hela cells compared to individual drug treatment. In addition, it was confirmed that exposure of Hela cells to 5-ALA/PDT in combination with low-dose cisplatin resulted in more apoptosis in vitro. Synergistic anticancer activity was related to upregulation p53 expression and alteration in expression of p21, Bcl-2 and Bax. Conclusion: Our findings suggest that administration of 5-ALA/PDT in combination with the low-dose cisplatin may be an effective and feasible therapy for cervical cancer.
- He GF, Bian ML, Zhao YW, et al (2009). A study on the mechanism of 5-aminolevulinic acid photodynamic therapy in vitro and in vivo in cervical cancer. Oncol Rep, 21, 861-8.
- Ishizuka M, Abe F, Sano Y, et al (2011). Novel development of 5-aminolevurinic acid (ALA) in cancer diagnoses and therapy. Int Immunopharmacol, 11, 358-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2010.11.029
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Jemal A, Murray T, Samuels A, et al (2003). Cancer statistics, 2003. CA Cancer J Clin, 53, 5-26. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.53.1.5
- Ke QH, Zhou SQ, Du W, et al (2012). Early efficacy of taxotere and cisplatin chemo-radiotherapy for advanced cervical cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 617-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.617
- Kim YW, Bae SM, Battogtokh G, Bang HJ, Ahn WS (2012). Synergistic anti-tumor effects of combination of photodynamic therapy and arsenic compound in cervical cancer cells, in vivo and in vitro studies. PLoS One, 7, e38583. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0038583
- Lagrange JL, Bondiau PY, Tessier E, et al (1996). Tumoral platinum concentrations in patients treated with repeated low-dose cisplatin as a radiosensitizer. Int J Cancer, 68, 452-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19961115)68:4<452::AID-IJC9>3.0.CO;2-#
- Liu Y, Xing H, Han X, et al (2008). Apoptosis of HeLa cells induced by cisplatin and its mechanism. J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci, 28, 197-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11596-008-0221-7
- Massague, J. (2004). G1 cell-cycle control and cancer. Nature, 432, 298-306. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature03094
- Oleinick NL, Morris RL, Belichenko I (2002). The role of apoptosis in response to photodynamic therapy, what, where, why, and how. Photochem Photobiol Sci, 1, 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1039/b108586g
- Gui T, Wang Y, Mao Y, et al (2012). Comparisons of 5-aminolevulinic acid photodynamic therapy and afterloading radiotherapy in vivo in cervical cancer. Clin Transl Oncol, 15, 434-42.
- He GF, Bian ML, Zhao YW, et al (2008). Apoptosis-inducing effect of 5-aminolevulinic acid-mediated photodynamic therapy (5-ALA-PDT) on cervical cancer cell lines. Ai Zheng, 27, 897-904.
- Peng Q, Warloe T, Berg K, et al (1997). 5-Aminolevulinic acidbased photodynamic therapy. Clinical research and future challenges. Cancer, 79, 2282-308. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19970615)79:12<2282::AID-CNCR2>3.0.CO;2-O
- Rabik CA, Dolan ME (2007). Molecular mechanisms of resistance and toxicity associated with platinating agents. Cancer Treat Rev, 33, 9-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2006.09.006
- Chen HM, Liu CM, Yang H, et al (2011a). 5-aminolevulinic acid induce apoptosis via NF-kappaB/JNK pathway in human oral cancer Ca9-22 cells. J Oral Pathol Med, 40, 483-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2010.00973.x
- Chen X, Zhao P, Chen F, Li L, and Luo R (2011b). Effect and mechanism of 5-aminolevulinic acid-mediated photodynamic therapy in esophageal cancer. Lasers Med Sci, 26, 69-78. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-010-0810-0
- Compagnin C, Mognato M, Celotti L, et al (2010). Cell proliferation and cell cycle alterations in oesophageal p53-mutated cancer cells treated with cisplatin in combination with photodynamic therapy. Cell Prolif, 43, 262-74. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2184.2010.00673.x
- Crescenzi E, Chiaviello A, Canti G, et al (2006). Low doses of cisplatin or gemcitabine plus Photofrin/photodynamic therapy, Disjointed cell cycle phase-related activity accounts for synergistic outcome in metastatic non-small cell lung cancer cells (H1299). Mol Cancer Ther, 5, 776-85. https://doi.org/10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-05-0425
- Crescenzi E, Varriale L, Iovino M, et al (2004). Photodynamic therapy with indocyanine green complements and enhances low-dose cisplatin cytotoxicity in MCF-7 breast cancer cells. Mol Cancer Ther, 3, 537-44. https://doi.org/10.4161/cbt.3.6.845
- Danial NN, Korsmeyer SJ (2004). Cell death, critical control points. Cell, 116, 205-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(04)00046-7
- Davila ML. (2011). Photodynamic therapy. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am, 21, 67-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.giec.2010.09.002
- Fu KK, DeGregorio MW, Phillips JW (1988). Plasma and tumor concentrations of cisplatin following intraperitoneal infusion or bolus injection with or without continuous low-dose-rate irradiation. NCI Monogr, 6, 123-7.
- Garland SM, Bhatla N, Ngan HY (2012). Cervical cancer burden and prevention strategies, Asia Oceania perspective. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 21, 1414-22. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-12-0164
- Ge R, Ahn JC, Shin JI, et al (2011). An in vitro and in vivo study of combination therapy with Photogem(R)-mediated photodynamic therapy and cisplatin on mouse cancer cells (CT-26). Photomed Laser Surg, 29 , 155-60. https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2009.2750
- Gomer CJ, Dougherty TJ (1979). Determination of [3H]- and [14C]hematoporphyrin derivative distribution in malignant and normal tissue. Cancer Res, 39, 146-51.
- Scheffner M, Werness BA, Huibregtse JM, Levine AJ, Howley PM (1990). The E6 oncoprotein encoded by human papillomavirus types 16 and 18 promotes the degradation of p53. Cell, 63, 1129-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(90)90409-8
- Schloffer D, Horky M, Kotala V, Wesierska-Gadek J (2003). Induction of cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human cervix carcinoma cells during therapy by cisplatin. Cancer Detect Prev, 27, 481-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2003.07.002
- Suo Z, Lippard SJ, Johnson KA (1999). Single d(GpG)/cisdiammineplatinum(II) adduct-induced inhibition of DNA polymerization. Biochemistry, 38, 715-26. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi981854n
- Suprasert P, Thongsong T, Srisomboon J, Chailert C (2007). Efficacy of cisplatin in early stage cervical cancer with a long waiting period for surgery. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 51-4.
- Tsai JC, Wu CL, Chien HF, Chen CT (2005). Reorganization of cytoskeleton induced by 5-aminolevulinic acid-mediated photodynamic therapy and its correlation with mitochondrial dysfunction. Lasers Surg Med, 36, 398-408. https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.20179
- Tsai T, Ji HT, Chiang PC, et al (2009). ALA-PDT results in phenotypic changes and decreased cellular invasion in surviving cancer cells. Lasers Surg Med, 41, 305-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.20761
- Uehara M, Inokuchi T, Ikeda H (2006). Enhanced susceptibility of mouse squamous cell carcinoma to photodynamic therapy combined with low-dose administration of cisplatin. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 64, 390-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2005.11.011
- Wesierska-Gadek J, Schloffer D, Kotala V, et al (2002). Escape of p53 protein from E6-mediated degradation in HeLa cells after cisplatin therapy. Int J Cancer, 101, 128-36. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10580
- Yow CM, Wong CK, Huang Z, Ho RJ (2007). Study of the efficacy and mechanism of ALA-mediated photodynamic therapy on human hepatocellular carcinoma cell. Liver Int, 27, 201-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1478-3231.2006.01412.x
- Two combined photosensitizers: a goal for more effective photodynamic therapy of cancer vol.5, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1038/cddis.2014.77
- Low-dose cisplatin administration to septic mice improves bacterial clearance and programs peritoneal macrophage polarization to M1 phenotype pp.2049632X, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/2049-632X.12189
- Potential Molecular Mechanisms Involved in 5-Aminolevulinic Acid–Based Photodynamic Therapy against Human Hypertrophic Scars vol.136, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000001626
- Photodynamic Therapy and Its Role in Combined Modality Anticancer Treatment vol.14, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1177/1533034614556192
- Effect of nisin and doxorubicin on DMBA-induced skin carcinogenesis—a possible adjunct therapy vol.36, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-3571-3
- 5-Aminolevulinic acid photodynamic therapy in human cervical cancer via the activation of microRNA-143 and suppression of the Bcl-2/Bax signaling pathway vol.14, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2016.5248
- A Strategy Using Photodynamic Therapy and Clofibric Acid to Treat Peritoneal Dissemination of Ovarian Cancer vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.775