- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Cross Sectional Assessment of Health Related Quality of Life (HRQoL) among Patients with Cancer in Malaysia
- Farooqui, Maryam (Faculty of Pharmacy, Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM)) ;
- Hassali, Mohamed Azmi (Discipline of Social and Administrative Pharmacy, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)) ;
- Knight, Aishah (Advanced Medical and Dental Institute, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)) ;
- Shafie, Asrul Akmal (Discipline of Social and Administrative Pharmacy, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)) ;
- Farooqui, Muhammad Aslam (Department of Medicine, Allianze University College of Medical Sciences (AUCMS)) ;
- Saleem, Fahad (Discipline of Social and Administrative Pharmacy, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)) ;
- ul Haq, Noman (Discipline of Social and Administrative Pharmacy, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)) ;
- Othman, Che Noriah (Faculty of Pharmacy, Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM)) ;
- Aljadhey, Hisham (College of Pharmacy King Saud University)
- 발행 : 2013.05.30
Background: Health Related Quality of Life (HRQoL) is an important aspect in identifying cancer patients' perceptions of being diagnosed with cancer and the assessment of treatment outcomes. The present study aimedto assess the profile and predicators of HRQoL of Malaysian oncology patients. Materials and Methods: A cross sectional study adopting the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-C30) was conducted. All cancer patients attending Penang General Hospital between August-November 2011 were approached. Descriptive statistics were used to assess demographic and disease related characteristics of the patients. All analyses were performed using SPSS v 16.0. Results: Three hundred and ninety three cancer patients met the inclusion criteria and were enrolled in the study. The mean age was 53.9 (
- Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai S, Bergman B, et al (1993). The European organization for research and treatment of cancer QLQ-C30: a quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology. J National Cancer Institute, 85,365-76. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/85.5.365
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Measuring healthy days: Population assessment of health-related quality of life. Retrieved on 2 January, 2012, from http://www.cdc.gov/hrqollpdfs/mhd pdf
- GLOBOCAN: International agency for research in cancer. (2008). Retrieved on 2 January, 2012, from http://globocan.iarc.fr/factsheets/cancers/all.asp
- GunnBK, StephenJ, MacKenzie G, et al (2008). Understanding Canadian Punjabi-speaking South Asian women's experience of breast cancer: a qualitative study. Int J Nursing Studies, 45, 266-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2006.08.023
- HarandyTF, Ghofranipour F, MontazeriA, et al (2009). Muslim breast cancer survivor spirituality: coping strategy or health seeking behavior hindrance? Health Care For Women International, 31, 88-98. https://doi.org/10.1080/07399330903104516
- Johnsen AT, Tholstrup D, Petersen MA, et al (2009). Health related quality of life in a nationally representative sample of haematological patients. European J Haematology, 83, 139-48. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0609.2009.01250.x
- Lim G (2006). Clinical oncology in Malaysia: 1914 to present. Biomed Imaging Interv J, 2 ,18.
- Lin Lua P, Zakaria NS, Mamat NM (2012). Health-related quality of life profile in relation to chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting among breast cancer patients. ASEAN J Psychiatry, 13, 1.
- Mirabeau-Beale KL, Kornblith AB, Penson RT, et al (2009). Comparison of the quality of life of early and advanced stage ovarian cancer survivors. Gynecologic Oncology, 114,353-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2009.05.009
- MontazeriA (2008). Health-related quality of life in breast cancer patients: a bibliographic review of the literature from 1974 to 2007. J Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research, 27, 32. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-27-32
- Nanda U, Andresen EM(1998). Health-related quality of life a guide for the health professional. Evaluation & Health Professions, 21, 179-215. https://doi.org/10.1177/016327879802100204
- Pei Lin L, Sok Yee W, Widiasmoro Selamat N (2011). Anxiety and depressive symptoms and health-related quality Of life status among patients with cancer in Terengganu, Malaysia. ASEAN J Psychiatry, 12, 1.
- Priscilla D, Hamidin A, Azhar M, et al (2011). Quality of life among patients with hematological cancer in a Malaysian hospital. Med J Malaysia, 66, 117.
- Quran Explorer. (2011). Retrieved on 2 January, 2012, from http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/
- Sun Y J, Hu Y J, Jin D, et al (2012). Health-related quality of life after treatment for malignant lxme tumors: a follow-up study in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3099-102. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3099
- Taleghani F, YektaZP, NasrabadiAN (2006). Coping with breast cancer in newly diagnosed Iranian women. J Advanced Nursing, 54, 265-72. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03808_1.x
- World Health Organization Division of Mental H, & Prevention of Substance, A (1997). WHOQOL: measuring quality of life: Division of Mental Health and Prevention of Substance Abuse, World Health Organization
- World Health Organization. (2013). Cancer. Retrieved 6 February, 2013, from http://www.who.int/mediacentre/ factsheets/fs297/en/
- Yen SH, AKAS, HasnahH (2011). The socioeconomic impacts of breast cancer on breast cancer patients in Penang. Kajian Malaysia, 29,111-36.
- Quality of Life by Stage of Cervical Cancer among Malaysian Patients vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5283
- Gender Differences in Marital Disruption among Patients with Cancer: Results from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6547
- Social Support and Quality of Life in Turkish Patients with Gynecologic Cancer vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3081
- Quality of Life for Patients with Esophageal/Gastric Cardia Precursor Lesions or Cancer: A One-year Prospective Study vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.45
- The relationship between economic characteristics and health-related quality of life in newly diagnosed cancer patients in Southeast Asia: results from an observational study vol.24, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-014-0828-z
- Health related quality of life of gynaecologic cancer patients attending at Tikur Anbesa Specialized Hospital (TASH), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12905-017-0507-7