- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Adherence to Health-Related Lifestyle Behavior Recommendations and Association with Quality of Life among Cancer Survivors and Age-Matched Controls in Koreaaa
- Moon, Sae Hoon (Department of Public Health, The Catholic University) ;
- Lee, Dae Taek (Department of Physical Education, Kookmin University) ;
- Son, Younsun (Department of Physical Education, Kookmin University)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Background: This study was conducted to determine the relationship between lifestyle behavior and quality of life (QoL) among cancer survivors in Korea. Materials and Methods: Data for a total of 471 (173 men, 298 women) cancer survivors (CS) over 40 years old were obtained from the database of the
Exercise;QOL;cancer patient;physical activity;drinking;smoking
- Secretan B, Straif K, Baan R, et al (2009). A review of human carcinogens--part E: tobacco, areca nut, alcohol, coal smoke, and salted fish. Lancet Oncol, 10, 1033-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(09)70326-2
- Senore C, Giordano L, Bellisario C, et al (2012). Population based cancer screening programmes as a teachable moment for primary prevention interventions. A review of the literature. Front Oncol, 2, 45.
- Speck RM, Courneya KS, Masse LC, et al (2010). An update of controlled physical activity trials in cancer survivors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Cancer Surviv, 4, 87-100. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11764-009-0110-5
- Stevinson C, Steed H, Faught W, et al (2009). Physical activity in ovarian cancer survivors: associations with fatigue, sleep, and psychosocial functioning. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 19, 73-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/IGC.0b013e31819902ec
- Tucker JM, Welk GJ, Beyler NK (2011). Physical activity in U.S.: adults compliance with the physical activity guidelines for americans. Am J Prev Med, 40, 454-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2010.12.016
- Turkoglu N, Kilic D (2012). Effects of care burdens of caregivers of cancer patients on their quality of life. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4141-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.4141
- Wang HH, Chung UL (2012). Healthy lifestyle changes during the period before and after cancer diagnosis among breast cancer survivors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4769-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4769
- Chung JY, Ann KY, Park JH, et al (2011). The case study of operation and experience of exercise for female cancer patients. Journal of the Korean Society of Living Environmental System, 18, 129-39.
- Danaei G, Vander Hoorn S, Lopez AD, et al (2005). Causes of cancer in the world: comparative risk assessment of nine behavioural and environmental risk factors. Lancet, 366, 1784-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67725-2
- Blaney JM, Lowe-Strong A, Rankin-Watt J, et al (2013). Cancer survivors' exercise barriers, facilitators and preferences in the context of fatigue, quality of life and physical activity participation: a questionnaire-survey. Psychooncology, 22, 186-94. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.2072
- Bloom JR, Stewart SL, Oakley-Girvan I, et al (2012). Quality of life of younger breast cancer survivors: persistence of problems and sense of well-being. Psychooncology, 21, 655-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1965
- Demark-Wahnefried W, Morey MC, Sloane R, et al (2009). Promoting healthy lifestyles in older cancer survivors to improve health and preserve function. J Am Geriatr Soc, 57 Suppl 2, S262-4.
- Holick CN, Newcomb PA, Trentham-Dietz A, et al (2008). Physical activity and survival after diagnosis of invasive breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 17, 379-86. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-07-0771
- Holmes MD, Chen WY, Feskanich D, et al (2005). Physical activity and survival after breast cancer diagnosis. JAMA, 293, 2479-86. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.293.20.2479
- Irwin ML, McTiernan A, Bernstein L, et al (2004). Physical activity levels among breast cancer survivors. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 36, 1484-91.
- American Association for Cancer Research (2012). AACR cancer progress report 2012; making research count for patients: a new day. American Association for Cancer Research.
- Blanchard CM, Courneya KS, Stein K (2008). Cancer survivors'adherence to lifestyle behavior recommendations and associations with health-related quality of life: results from the American Cancer Society's SCS-II. J Clin Oncol, 26, 2198-204. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.14.6217
- Jo HS, Jung SM (2011). Audience segmentation to promote lifestyle for cancer prevention in the Korean community. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 869-74.
- Kim SH (2010). Understanding cancer survivorship and its new perspectives. Asian Oncology Nursing, 10, 11.
- Korea Central Cancer Registry NCC (2012). Annual report of cancer statistics in Korea in 2010. Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Kye SY, Park K (2012). Psychosocial factors and health behavior among Korean adults: a cross-sectional study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 49-56. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.049
- Loh SY, Chew SL, Lee SY (2011). Barriers to exercise: perspectives from multiethnic cancer survivors in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1483-8.
- Lucia A, Earnest C, Perez M (2003). Cancer-related fatigue: can exercise physiology assist oncologists? Lancet Oncol, 4, 616-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(03)01221-X
- Ministry of Health & Welfare (2011). White paper of health and welfare. Ministry of Health & Welfare.
- National Cancer Institute (2011). Cancer control continuum. Maryland: [accessed on November 3, 2012] Available at: http://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/OD/continuum.html.
- National Cancer Institute (2012). Cancer survivorship research. Maryland: [accessed on November 3, 2012] Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/.
- Schmitz KH, Courneya KS, Matthews C, et al (2010). American college of sports medicine roundtable on exercise guidelines for cancer survivors. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 42, 1409-26. https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181e0c112
- Prevalence of and Factors Associated with Osteoporosis among Korean Cancer Survivors: A Cross-Sectional Analysis of the Fourth and Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4743
- Optimizing Nutrition Support in Cancer Care vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2933
- Social Support and Quality of Life in Turkish Patients with Gynecologic Cancer vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3081
- Health behaviors among breast, prostate, and colorectal cancer survivors: a US population-based case-control study, with comparisons by cancer type and gender vol.8, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11764-014-0347-5
- Living Experiences of Indian Adult Cancer Survivors - a Brief Report vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.507
- Health Promoting Behavior and Influencing Factors in Iranian Breast Cancer Survivors vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1729
- Prevalence of and Factors Associated with Sarcopenia in Korean Cancer Survivors: Based on Data Obtained by the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) 2008–2011 vol.69, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2017.1267776