- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Utility of Serum Peptidome Patterns of Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma Patients for Comprehensive Treatment
- Wan, Qing-Lian (Institute of Esophageal Cancer of Zhengzhou City, Department of Thoracic Surgery, The Peoples Hospital of Zhengzhou) ;
- Hou, Xiang-Sheng (Institute of Esophageal Cancer of Zhengzhou City, Department of Thoracic Surgery, The Peoples Hospital of Zhengzhou) ;
- Zhao, Guang (Centeral Laboratory, The 150th Hospital of Chinese People's Liberation Army)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Esophageal cancer (EC) is one of the most common malignant tumors, and the incidence of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC) is highest in China. Early diagnosis and effective monitoring are keys to comprehensive treatment and discovering tumor metastases and recurrence in time. The aim of this study was to confirm serum peptidome pattern utility for diagnosis of ESCC, and assessment of operation success, postoperative chemotherapy results, tumor metastasis and recurrence. Serum samples were collected from 61 patients treated with surgery and chemotherapy and 20 healthy individuals. Spectral data generated with weak cationic-exchanger magnetic beads (WCX-MB) and MALDI-TOF MS by a support vector machine (SVM), were used to construct diagnostic models and system training as potential biomarkers. A pattern consisting of 11 protein peaks, separated ESCC (m/z 650.75), operated (m/z 676.61, 786.1, 786.58), postoperative chemotherapy (m/z 622.77, 650.66, 676.46) and tumor metastasis and recurrence (m/z 622.63, 650.56, 690.77, 676.12) from the healthy individuals with a sensitivity of 100.0% and a specificity of 100.0%. These results suggested that MALDITOF MS combined with MB separation yields significantly higher sensitivity and specificity for the detection of serum protein in patients with EC patients treated with surgery and chemotherapy.
Esophageal cancer (EC);serum peptidome patterns;treatment;recurrence
- Yao N, Chen H, Lin H, et al (2008). Enrichment of peptides in serum by C8- function- alized magnetic nanoparticles for direct matrix-assisted laser desorption /ionization time-offlight mass spectrometry analysis. J Chromatogr A, 1185, 93-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2008.01.047
- An JY, Fan ZM, Zhuang ZH, et al (2004). Proteomic analysis of blood level of proteins before and after operation in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma at high-incidence area in Henan Province. World J Gastroenterol, 10, 3365-8.
- Banki F, Yacoub WN, Hagen JA, et al (2008). Plasma DNA is more reliable than carcinoembryonic antigen for diagnosis of recurrent esophageal cancer. J Am Coll Surg, 207, 30-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2008.01.004
- Dai Y, Hu C, Wang L, et al (2010). Serum peptidome patterns of human systemic lupus erythematosus based on magnetic bead separation and MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry analysis. Scand J Rheumatol, 39, 240-6. https://doi.org/10.3109/03009740903456292
- Du XL, Hu H, Lin DC, et al (2007). Proteomic profiling of proteins dysregulted in Chinese esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. J Mol Med (Berl), 85, 863-75. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00109-007-0159-4
- Fan NJ, Gao CF, Wang XL, et al (2012). Serum peptidome patterns of colorectal cancer based on magnetic bead separation and MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry analysis. J Biomed Biotechnol, 2012, 985020.
- Han M, Liu Q, Yu J, et al (2008). Detectiong and significance of serum protein markers of small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Lab Anal, 22, 131-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcla.20230
- Hu N, Flaig MJ, Su H, et al (2004). Comprehensive characterization of annexin I alterations in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 6013-22. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-0317
- Liu LH, Shan BE, Tian ZQ, et al (2010). Potential biomarkers for esophageal carcinoma detected by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Clin Chem Lab Med, 48, 855-61.
- Maurer K, Eschrich K, Schellenberger W, et al (2013). Oral brush biopsy analysis by MALDI-ToF Mass Spectrometry for early cancer diagnosis. Oral Oncol, 49, 152-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2012.08.012
- Shao C, Tian Y, Dong Z, et al (2012). The use of principal component analysis in MALDI-TOF MS: a powerful tool for establishing a mini-optimized proteomic profile. Am J Biomed Sci, 4, 85-101.
- Sui W, Huang L, Dai Y, et al (2010). Proteomic profiling of renal allograft rejection in serum using magnetic bead-based sample fractionation and MALDI-TOF MS. Clin Exp Med, 10, 259-68. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10238-010-0094-5
- Sun L, Zhao Q, Zhu G, et al (2011). Octyl-functionalized hybrid magnetic mesoporous microspheres for enrichment of lowconcentration peptides prior to direct analysis by matrixassisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom, 25, 1257-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/rcm.4986
- Uemura N, Nakanishi Y, Kato H, et al (2009). Transglutaminase 3 as aprognositic biomarker in esophageal cancer revealed by proteomics. Int J Cancer, 124, 2106-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24194
- Lentivirus Mediated GOLPH3 shRNA Inhibits Growth and Metastasis of Esophageal Squamous Cancer vol.14, pp.9, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5391
- Superoxide Dismutase1 Levels in North Indian Population with Age-Related Macular Degeneration vol.2013, pp.1942-0994, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/365046
- Pinus massoniana bark extract inhibits migration of the lung cancer A549 cell line vol.13, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.5509