- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Apoptosis Induction in Human Leukemic Promyelocytic HL-60 and Monocytic U937 Cell Lines by Goniothalamin
- Petsophonsakul, Ploingarm (Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University) ;
- Pompimon, Wilart (Faculty of Science, Lampang Rajabhat University) ;
- Banjerdpongchai, Ratana (Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Goniothalamin is an active compound extracted from Goniothalamus griffithii, a local plant found in northern Thailand. Goniothalamin inhibits cancer cell growth but is also toxic to normal cells. The aims of this study were to identify the cytotoxic effect of goniothalamin and the mechanism of cell death in human HL-60 and U937 cells. Cytotoxicity was determined by MTT assay and cell cycle profiles were demonstrated by staining with propidium iodide (PI) and flow cytometry. Apoptosis was confirmed by staining with annexin V-FITC/propidium iodide (PI) and flow cytometry. Reduction of mitochondrial transmembrane potential was determined by staining with dihexyloxacarbocyanine iodide and flow cytometry and expression of Smac, caspase-8 and -9 was demonstrated by Western blotting. Goniothalamin inhibited growth of HL-60 and U937 cell lines. An increase of SubG1 phase was found in their cell cycle profiles, indicating apoptosis as the mode of cell death. Apoptosis was confirmed by the flip-flop of phosphatidylserine using annexin V-FITC/PI assay in HL60 and U937 cells in a dose response manner. Furthermore, reduction of mitochondrial transmembrane potential was found in both cell types while expression of caspase-8, -9 and Smac/Diablo was increased in HL-60 cells. Taken together, our results indicate that goniothalamin-treated human leukemic cells undergo apoptosis via intrinsic and extrinsic pathways.
Goniothalamin;apoptosis;Goniothalamus griffithii;caspase;human leukemic cells
- Al-Qubaisi M, Rozita R, Yeap SK, et al (2011). Selective cytotoxicity of goniothalamin against hepatoblastoma HepG2 cells. Molecules, 16, 2944-59. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules16042944
- Alabsi AM, Ali R, Ali AM, et al (2012). Apoptosis induction, cell cycle arrest and in vitro anticancer activity of gonothalamin in a cancer cell lines. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5131-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5131
- Ali AM, Mackeen MM, Hamid M, et al (1997). Cytotoxicity and electron microscopy of cell death induced by goniothalamin. Planta Med, 63, 81-3. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-957611
- Banjerdpongchai R, Kongtawelert P, Khantamat O, et al (2010). Mitochondrial and endoplasmic reticulum stress pathways cooperate in zearalenone-induced apoptosis of human leukemic cells. J Hematol Oncol, 3, 50-65. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-8722-3-50
- Banjerdpongchai R, Punyati P, Nakrob A, et al (2011). 4'-Hydroxycinnamaldehyde from Alpinia galanga (Linn.) induces human leukemic cell apoptosis via mitochondrial and endoplasmic reticulum stress pathways. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 593-8.
- Chan KM, Rajab NF, Ishak MH, et al (2006). Goniothalamin induces apoptosis in vascular smooth muscle cells. Chem Biol Interact, 159, 129-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2005.10.107
- Chan KM, Rajab NF, Siegel D, et al (2010). Goniothalamin induces coronary artery smooth muscle cells apoptosis: the p53-dependent caspase-2 activation pathway. Toxicol Sci, 116, 533-48. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/kfq151
- Chen WY, Wu CC, Lan YH, et al (2005). Goniothalamin induces cell cycle-specific apoptosis by modulating the redox status in MDA-MB-231 cells. Eur J Pharmacol, 522, 20-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2005.08.047
- Chiu CC, Liu PL, Huang KJ, et al (2011). Goniothalamin inhibits growth of human lung cancer cells through DNA damage, apoptosis, and reduced migration ability. J Agric Food Chem, 59, 4288-93. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf200566a
- de Almagro MC, Vucic D (2012). The inhibitor of apoptosis (IAP) proteins are critical regulators of signaling pathways and targets for anti-cancer therapy. Exp Oncol, 34, 200-11.
- de Fatima A, Zambuzzi WF, Modolo LV, et al (2008). Cytotoxicity of goniothalamin enantiomers in renal cancer cells: involvement of nitric oxide, apoptosis and autophagy. Chem Biol Interact, 176, 143-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2008.08.003
- Inayat-Hussain SH, Annuar BO, Din LB, et al (2003). Loss of mitochondrial transmembrane potential and caspase-9 activation during apoptosis induced by the novel styryllactone goniothalamin in HL-60 leukemia cells. Toxicol In Vitro, 17, 433-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0887-2333(03)00051-1
- Inayat-Hussain SH, Chan KM, Rajab NF, et al (2010). Goniothalamin-induced oxidative stress, DNA damage and apoptosis via caspase-2 independent and Bcl-2 independent pathways in Jurkat T-cells. Toxicol Lett, 193, 108-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxlet.2009.12.010
- Inayat-Hussain SH, Osman AB, Din LB, et al (1999). Caspases-3 and -7 are activated in goniothalamin-induced apoptosis in human Jurkat T-cells. FEBS Lett, 456, 379-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(99)00984-9
- Kim RP, Bihud V, Bin Mohamad K, et al (2012). Cytotoxic and antioxidant compounds from the stem bark of Goniothalamus tapisoides Mat Salleh. Molecules, 18, 128-39. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules18010128
- Li XY, Zhang Q, Li Y, et al (2012). Expression of HtrA2 and WT1 genes in acute myeloid leukemia. Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi, 20, 1-6.
- Mu Q, Tang WD, Liu RY, et al (2003). Constituents from the stems of Goniothalamus griffithii. Planta Med, 69, 826-30. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2003-43219
- Prommaban A, Kodchakorn K, Kongtawelert P, et al (2012). Houttuynia cordata Thunb fraction induces human leukemic Molt-4 cell apoptosis through the endoplasmic reticulum stress pathway. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1977-81. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1977
- Schumacher U, Gräfin von Armansperg N, Kreipe H, Welsch U (1996). Lectin binding and uptake in human (myelo) monocytic cell lines: HL60 and U937. Ultrastruct Pathol, 20, 463-71. https://doi.org/10.3109/01913129609016350
- Umar-Tsafe N, Mohamed-Said MS, Rosli R, et al (2004). Genotoxicity of goniothalamin in CHO cell line. Mutat Res, 562, 91-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2004.05.011
- Wu WB, Zhang Q, Li Y, et al (2012). Expression of Kindlins and angiopoietins in acute myeloid leukemia. Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi, 20, 7-11.
- Wudtiwai B, Sripanidkulchai B, Kongtawelert P, et al (2011). Methoxyflavone derivatives modulate the effect of TRAIL-induced apoptosis in human leukemic cell lines. J Hematol Oncol, 4, 52-65. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-8722-4-52
- Yen CY, Chiu CC, Haung RW, et al (2012). Antiproliferative effects of goniothalamin on Ca9-22 oral cancer cells through apoptosis, DNA damage and ROS induction. Mutat Res, 747, 253-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2012.06.003
- Effect of metformin on apoptosis, cell cycle arrest migration and invasion of A498 cells vol.9, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2014.2097
- Goniothalamin enhances TRAIL-induced apoptosis in colorectal cancer cells through DR5 upregulation and cFLIP downregulation vol.47, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2015.3204
- Metformin induces apoptosis via a mitochondria-mediated pathway in human breast cancer cells in vitro vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2016.3143
- Goniothalamin induces mitochondria-mediated apoptosis associated with endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced activation of JNK in HeLa cells vol.13, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.5381
- Apoptosis Induction via ATM Phosphorylation, Cell Cycle Arrest, and ER Stress by Goniothalamin and Chemodrugs Combined Effects on Breast Cancer-Derived MDA-MB-231 Cells vol.2018, pp.2314-6141, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/7049053