- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Ellagic Acid Inhibits Migration and Invasion by Prostate Cancer Cell Lines
- Pitchakarn, Pornsiri ;
- Chewonarin, Teera ;
- Ogawa, Kumiko ;
- Suzuki, Shugo ;
- Asamoto, Makoto ;
- Takahashi, Satoru ;
- Shirai, Tomoyuki ;
- Limtrakul, Pornngarm
- Published : 2013.05.30
Polyphenolic compounds from pomegranate fruit extracts (PFEs) have been reported to possess antiproliferative, pro-apoptotic, anti-inflammatory and anti-invasion effects in prostate and other cancers. However, the mechanisms responsible for the inhibition of cancer invasion remain to be clarified. In the present study, we investigated anti-invasive effects of ellagic acid (EA) in androgen-independent human (PC-3) and rat (PLS10) prostate cancer cell lines in vitro. The results indicated that non-toxic concentrations of EA significantly inhibited the motility and invasion of cells examined in migration and invasion assays. The EA treatment slightly decreased secretion of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-2 but not MMP-9 from both cell lines. We further found that EA significantly reduced proteolytic activity of collagenase/gelatinase secreted from the PLS-10 cell line. Collagenase IV activity was also concentration-dependently inhibited by EA. These results demonstrated that EA has an ability to inhibit invasive potential of prostate cancer cells through action on protease activity.
- Azzam HS, Thompson EW (1992). Collagen-induced activation of the M(r) 72,000 type IV collagenase in normal and malignant human fibroblastoid cells. Cancer Res, 52, 4540-4.
- Bell C, Hawthorne S (2008). Ellagic acid, pomegranate and prostate cancer -- a mini review. J Pharm Pharmacol, 60, 139-44. https://doi.org/10.1211/jpp.60.2.0001
- Bianco FJ Jr, Gervasi DC, Tiguert R, et al (1998). Matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression in bladder washes from bladder cancer patients predicts pathological stage and grade. Clin Cancer Res, 4, 3011-6.
- Braun-Falco M, Holtmann C, Lordick F, et al (2006). Follicular drug reaction from cetuximab: a common side effect in the treatment of metastatic colon carcinoma. Hautarzt, 57, 701-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00105-005-0979-5
- Castonguay AGHU, Perchellet EM (1997). Antitumorigenic and antipromoting activities of ellagic acid, ellagitannins and oligometric anthocyanin and procyanidin. Int J Oncol, 10, 367-73.
- Cockett MI, Murphy G, Birch ML, et al (1998). Matrix metalloproteinases and metastatic cancer. Biochem Soc Symp, 63, 295-313.
- Fernandez-Patron C, Radomski MW, Davidge ST (1999). Vascular matrix metalloproteinase-2 cleaves big endothelin-1 yielding a novel vasoconstrictor. Circ Res, 85, 906-11. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.RES.85.10.906
- Fidler IJ, Kripke ML (1977). Metastasis results from preexisting variant cells within a malignant tumor. Science, 197, 893-5. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.887927
- Giancotti FG, Ruoslahti E (1999). Integrin signaling. Science, 285, 1028-32. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.285.5430.1028
- Gilles C, Polette M, Seiki M, et al (1997). Implication of collagen type I-induced membrane-type 1-matrix metalloproteinase expression and matrix metalloproteinase-2 activation in the metastatic progression of breast carcinoma. Lab Invest, 76, 651-60.
- Gronberg H (2003). Prostate cancer epidemiology. Lancet, 361, 859-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)12713-4
- Hamasaki K, Kogure K, Ohwada K (1996). A biological method for the quantitative measurement of tetrodotoxin (TTX): tissue culture bioassay in combination with a water-soluble tetrazolium salt. Toxicon, 34, 490-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0041-0101(95)00151-4
- Han DH, Lee MJ, Kim JH (2006). Antioxidant and apoptosisinducing activities of ellagic acid. Anticancer Res, 26, 3601-6.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2008). Cancer statistics, 2008. CA Cancer J Clin, 58, 71-96. https://doi.org/10.3322/CA.2007.0010
- Khanduja KL, Avti PK, Kumar S, et al (2006). Anti-apoptotic activity of caffeic acid, ellagic acid and ferulic acid in normal human peripheral blood mononuclear cells: a Bcl-2 independent mechanism. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1760, 283-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2005.12.017
- Lansky EP, Harrison G, Froom P, et al (2005). Pomegranate (Punica granatum) pure chemicals show possible synergistic inhibition of human PC-3 prostate cancer cell invasion across Matrigel. Invest New Drugs, 23, 121-2. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10637-005-5856-7
- Larrosa M, Tomas-Barberan FA, Espin JC (2006). The dietary hydrolysable tannin punicalagin releases ellagic acid that induces apoptosis in human colon adenocarcinoma Caco-2 cells by using the mitochondrial pathway. J Nutr Biochem, 17, 611-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2005.09.004
- Lin SS, Lai KC, Hsu SC, et al (2009). Curcumin inhibits the migration and invasion of human A549 lung cancer cells through the inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 and vascular endothelial growth gactor (VEGF). Cancer Lett, 285, 127-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2009.04.037
- Liotta LA, Rao CN, Wewer UM (1986). Biochemical interactions of tumor cells with the basement membrane. Annu Rev Biochem, 55, 1037-57. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.bi.55.070186.005133
- Li TM, Chen GW, Su CC, et al (2005). Ellagic acid induced p53/p21 expression, G1 arrest and apoptosis in human bladder cancer T24 cells. Anticancer Res, 25, 971-9.
- Longtin R (2003). The pomegranate: nature's power fruit? J Natl Cancer Inst, 95, 346-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/95.5.346
- Mukhtar H, Das M, Khan WA, et al (1988). Exceptional activity of tannic acid among naturally occurring plant phenols in protecting against 7,12-dimethylbenz(a) anthracene-, benzo(a)pyrene-, 3-methylcholanthrene-, and N-methyl-N-nitrosourea-induced skin tumorigenesis in mice. Cancer Res, 48, 2361-5.
- Nagase H, Woessner JF, Jr. (1999). Matrix metalloproteinases. J Biol Chem, 274, 21491-4. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.274.31.21491
- Nakanishi H TS, Kato K, Shimizu S, et al (1996). Establishment and characterization of three androgen-independent, metastatic carcinoma cell lines from 3,2'-dimethyl-4-aminobiphenyl-induced prostatic tumors in F344 rats. Jpn J Cancer Res, 87, 1218-26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.1996.tb03136.x
- Narayanan BA, Geoffroy O, Willingham MC, et al (1999). p53/p21(WAF1/CIP1) expression and its possible role in G1 arrest and apoptosis in ellagic acid treated cancer cells. Cancer Lett, 136, 215-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(98)00323-1
- Papathoma AS, Zoumpourlis V, Balmain A, et al (2001). Role of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in progression of mouse skin carcinogenesis. Mol Carcinog, 31, 74-82. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.1042
- Pitchakarn P, Ogawa K, Suzuki S, et al (2010). Momordica charantia leaf extract suppresses rat prostate cancer progression in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Sci, 101, 2234-40. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2010.01669.x
- Seeram NP, Adams LS, Henning SM, et al (2005). In vitro antiproliferative, apoptotic and antioxidant activities of punicalagin, ellagic acid and a total pomegranate tannin extract are enhanced in combination with other polyphenols as found in pomegranate juice. J Nutr Biochem, 16, 360-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2005.01.006
- Seeram NP, Henning SM, Zhang Y, et al (2006). Pomegranate juice ellagitannin metabolites are present in human plasma and some persist in urine for up to 48 hours. J Nutr, 136, 2481-5.
- Seeram NP, Aronson WJ, Zhang Y, et al (2007). Pomegranate ellagitannin-derived metabolites inhibit prostate cancer growth and localize to the mouse prostate gland. J Agric Food Chem, 55, 7732-7. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf071303g
- Stetler-Stevenson WG (1990). Type IV collagenases in tumor invasion and metastasis. Cancer Metastasis Rev, 9, 289-303. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00049520
- Stoner GD, Gupta A (2001). Etiology and chemoprevention of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Carcinogenesis, 22, 1737-46. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/22.11.1737
- Strati A, Papoutsi Z, Lianidou E, et al (2009). Effect of ellagic acid on the expression of human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT) alpha+beta+ transcript in estrogen receptor-positive MCF-7 breast cancer cells. Clin Biochem, 42, 1358-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2009.05.017
- Thresiamma KC, Kuttan R (1996). Inhibition of liver fibrosis by ellagic acid. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol, 40, 363-6.
- Wang M, Wang T, Liu S, et al (2003). The expression of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 in human gliomas of different pathological grades. Brain Tumor Pathol, 20, 65-72. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02483449
- Westermarck J, Kahari VM (1999). Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase expression in tumor invasion. FASEB J, 13, 781-92.
- Yodkeeree S, Garbisa S, Limtrakul P (2008). Tetrahydrocurcumin inhibits HT1080 cell migration and invasion via downregulation of MMPs and uPA. Acta Pharmacol Sin, 29, 853-60. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7254.2008.00792.x
- Zeng ZS, Cohen AM, Guillem JG (1999). Loss of basement membrane type IV collagen is associated with increased expression of metalloproteinases 2 and 9 (MMP-2 and MMP-9) during human colorectal tumorigenesis. Carcinogenesis, 20, 749-55. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/20.5.749
- New Insights into 4-Amino-2-tri-fluoromethyl-phenyl Ester Inhibition of Cell Growth and Migration in the A549 Lung Adenocarcinoma Cell Line vol.14, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7265
- Luteolin inhibits matrix metalloproteinase 9 and 2 in azoxymethane-induced colon carcinogenesis vol.33, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1177/0960327114522502
- Melatonin inhibits the Migration of Colon Cancer RKO cells by Down-regulating Myosin Light Chain Kinase Expression through Cross-talk with p38 MAPK vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5835
- Efficacy and Safety of Pomegranate Medicinal Products for Cancer vol.2015, pp.1741-4288, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/258598
- Effect of pomegranate peel polyphenols on human prostate cancer PC-3 cells in vivo vol.24, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-015-0247-0
- Natural Polyphenols for Prevention and Treatment of Cancer vol.8, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8080515
- Multiple effects of ellagic acid on human colorectal carcinoma cells identified by gene expression profile analysis vol.50, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2017.3843
- Ellagic acid, a component of pomegranate fruit juice, suppresses androgen-dependent prostate carcinogenesis via induction of apoptosis vol.75, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.22900
- Dietary Polyphenols in Prevention and Treatment of Prostate Cancer vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms16023350
- Ellagic Acid Prevents L-NAME-Induced Hypertension via Restoration of eNOS and p47phox Expression in Rats vol.7, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu7075222
- Experimental Evidence of the Antitumor, Antimetastatic and Antiangiogenic Activity of Ellagic Acid vol.10, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10111756
- Induction of apoptosis by in vitro and in vivo plant extracts derived from Menyanthes trifoliata L. in human cancer cells vol.71, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10616-018-0274-9