- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Prostate Cancer Screening in a Healthy Population Cohort in Eastern Nepal: an Explanatory Trial Study
- Belbase, Narayan Prasad (Department of GI Surgery, College of Medical Sciences) ;
- Agrawal, Chandra Shekhar (General Surgery, B.P.Koirala Institute of Health Sciences) ;
- Pokharel, Paras Kumar (School of Public Health and Community Medicine, B.P.Koirala Institute of Health Sciences) ;
- Agrawal, Sudha (Department of Dermatology and Venereology, B.P.Koirala Institute of Health Sciences) ;
- Lamsal, Madhab (Department of Biochemistry, B.P.Koirala Institute of Health Sciences) ;
- Shakya, Vikal Chandra (Consultant Surgeon, Civil Hospital)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Background: Prostate cancer features a substantial incidence and mortality burden, similarly to breast cancer, and it ranks among the top ten specific causes of death in males. Objective: To explore the situation of prostate cancer in a healthy population cohort in Eastern Nepal. Materials and Methods: This study was conducted in the Department of General Surgery at B. P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal from July 2010 to June 2011. Males above 50 years visiting the Surgical Outpatient Department in BPKIHS were enrolled in the study and screening camps were organized in four Teaching District Hospitals of BPKIHS, all in Eastern Nepal. Digital rectal examination (DRE) was conducted by trained professionals after collecting blood for assessment of serum prostatic specific antigen (PSA). Trucut biopsies were performed for all individuals with abnormal PSA/DRE findings. Results: A total of 1,521 males more than 50 years of age were assessed and screened after meeting the inclusion criteria. The vast majority of individuals, 1,452 (96.2%), had PSA
- Ahmed MEIM, Higazi NZ, Abuidris DO, et al (2009). Prostate specific antigen versus digital rectal examination as screening for ca prostate in Sudanese patients. Sudanese J Public Health, 4, 278-81.
- Annual Reports (2009). B.P.Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital, Bharatpur, Nepal, 2009.
- Catalona, Smith DS, Ratliff TL, et al (1991). Measurement of prostate specific antigen in serum as a screening test for prostate cancer. NEJM, 1156-61.
- Catalona WJ, Hudson MA, Scardino PT, et al (1994). Selection of optimal prostate specific antigen cut offs for early detection of prostate cancer: Receiver operating characteristic curves. J Urol, 152, 2037.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2008). Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 10 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 2010.
- Galic J, Karner I, Tucak A, et al (2003). Comparison of digital rectal examination and prostate specific antigen in early detection of prostate cancer. Coll Antropol, 27, 61-6.
- Ganpule AP, Desai MR, Manohar T, Bapat S (2007). Age-specific prostate specific antigen and prostate specific antigen density values in a community-based Indian population. Indian J Urol, 23, 122-5. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-1591.32060
- Hai MA, Agrawal CS, Agarwal R.Clinico-Epidemiological Study of Genitourinary Malignancy at B.P.Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Nepal, 2006-2008. (Thesis).
- Harvey, Basuita A, Endersby, et al (2009). A systematic review of the diagnostic accuracy of prostate specific antigen. BMC Urology, 9,14. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2490-9-14
- Lee F, Littrup PJ, Torp-pederson ST, et al (1988). Prostate cancer:comparison of transrectal US and digital rectal examination. Radiology, 168, 389-94. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.168.2.3293108
- Lee SE, Kwak C, Park MS, et al (2000). Ethnic differences in the age-related distribution of serum prostate-specific antigen values: a study in healthy Korean population. Urology, 56, 1007-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(00)00837-2
- Littrup PJ, Kane RA, Mettlin CJ, et al (1994). Cost-effective prostate cancer detection. Cancer, 74, 3146. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19941215)74:12<3146::AID-CNCR2820741214>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Liu ZY, Sun YH, Xu CL, et al (2008). Age- specific PSA reference ranges in Chinese men without prostate cancer. Asian J Androl, 11, 100-3.
- Malati T, Kumari G (2004). Racial and ethnic variation of PSA in global population: age specific reference intervals for serum prostate specific antigen in healthy South Indian males. Indian J Clin Biochem, 19, 132-7.
- Mettlin CJ, Lee F, Drago J, Murphy GP et al (1991). The American Cancer Society National Prostate Cancer Detection Project: Findings on the detection of early prostate cancer in 2425 men. Cancer, 67, 2949-58. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19910615)67:12<2949::AID-CNCR2820671202>3.0.CO;2-X
- Mistry K, Cable G (2003). Meta-Analysis of prostate-specific antigen and digital rectal examination as screening tests for prostate carcinoma. J Am Board Fam Pract, 16, 95-101. https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.16.2.95
- Niang L, Kouka CN, Jalloh M, Gueye MS (2011). Screening for Prostate Cancer by Digital Rectal Examination and PSA Determination in Senegal. ISRN Oncology.
- Rabah DM, Arafa MA (2010). Prostate cancer screening in a Saudi population: an explanatory trial study. Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, 13, 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/pcan.2009.65
- Schroder FH, Van der Maas P, Beemsterboer P, et al (1998). Evaluation of the digital rectal examination as a screening test for prostate cancer. Rotterdam section of the European Randomized Study of Screening for Prostate Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 90, 1817. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/90.23.1817
- Schroder FH, Hugosson J, Roobol MJ, et al (2009). Screening and prostate-cancer mortality in a randomized European Study. N Engl J Med, 360, 1320-8. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0810084
- Stone NN, DeAntoni EP, Crawford ED (1994). Screening for prostate cancer by digital rectal examination and prostatespecific antigen: Results of prostate cancer awareness week, 1989-1992. Urology, 44,18. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(94)80239-4
- Histopathologic Characterization of Prostate Diseases in Madinah, Saudi Arabia vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4175
- Additive Properties of Crude, Age Specific and Age Adjusted Rates for Cancer Incidence and Mortality vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5407
- A Model Approach to Calculate Cancer Prevalence from 5 Years Survival Data for Selected Cancer Sites in India - Part II vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5681
- Role of Hyperinsulinemia in Increased Risk of Prostate Cancer: A Case Control Study from Kathmandu Valley vol.15, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.1031
- Utility of Digital Rectal Examination, Serum Prostate Specific Antigen, and Transrectal Ultrasound in the Detection of Prostate Cancer: A Developing Country Perspective vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3087
- Prostate Cancer Screening in the Fit Chilean Elderly: a Head to Head Comparison of Total Serum PSA versus Age Adjusted PSA versus Primary Circulating Prostate Cells to Detect Prostate Cancer at Initial Biopsy vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.601
- Prostate Cancer in Iran: Trends in Incidence and Morphological and Epidemiological Characteristics vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.839