- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Quality of Life of Breast Cancer Patient Next-of-kin in Turkey
- Ogce, Filiz (Ege University Faculty of Nursing) ;
- Ozkan, Sevgi (Denizli Health Services Vocational College, Pamukkale University) ;
- Okcin, Figen (Ege University Faculty of Nursing) ;
- Yaren, Arzu (Department of Medical Oncology, Pamukkale University Hospital) ;
- Demiray, Gokcen (Department of Medical Oncology, Pamukkale University Hospital)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Introduction: Quality of life (QoL) issues are of importance in relatives of women with breast cancer (BC)as caregivers in neglecting their own needs due to care of a patient and also as women regarding the potential risk of themselves developing BC. The objectives in the present study were to compare the QoL of female relatives of women in treatment for breast cancer. To date, no study had examined multi-dimensional QoL in accompanying people as compared them into two groups of female relatives whose first degree and second degree. Methods: QoL of female relatives was assessed using the Quality of Life-Family Version (QOL-FV) scale. Relationships between socio-demographic characteristics and QoL scores were analyzed using the Mann-Whitney U, Kruskal Wallis and Crosstabs tests. Results: The mean age of the female relatives was 37.6 years, and nearly 48% had a university education. It was found that first degree relatives had worse QoL in all domains except physical wellbeing than second degree relatives. Conclusion: This study showed that being female relatives of BC, especially first-degree, affect QoL negatively. Health care providers are of an important role in the stage of information related to genetic influence of BC.
Breast cancer;next-of-kin;female relatives;nursing;quality of life;Turkey
- Abu-Rustum NR, Herbolsheimer H (2001). Breast cancer risk assessment in indigent women at a public hospital. Gynecol Oncol, 81, 287-90. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.2001.6160
- American Cancer Society (2011). "Global Cancer Facts & Figures." Accessed: March 30, 2012. Available at http://facts.randomhistory.com/cancer-facts.html
- Awadalla AW, Ohaeri JU, Gholoum A, et al (2007) Factors associated with quality of life of outpatients with breast cancer and gynecologic cancers and their family caregivers: a controlled study. BMC Cancer, 7, 1471-2407-7-102 -
- Badger T, Segrin C, Dorros SM, Meek P, Lopez AM (2007). Depression and anxiety in women with breast cancer and their partners. Nurs Res, 56, 44-53. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200701000-00006
- Breast Cancer Risk Assessment Tool. National Cancer Institute. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/bcrisktool/about-tool.aspx).
- Chang EW, Tsai YY, Chang TW, Tsao CJ. (2007). Quality of sleep and quality of life in caregivers of breast cancer patient. Psycho-Oncol, 16, 950-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1167
- Chompret A (2004). Hereditary Breast-Ovarian Cancer. Orphanet Encyclopedia. https://www.orpha.net/data/patho/GB/uk- RCA.pdf
- Chopra I, Kamal KM (2012). Systematic review of quality of life instruments in long-term breast cancer survivors. Health Quality of Life Outcomes, 10, 14. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-10-14
- Coristine M, Crooks D, Grunfeld E, Stonebridge C, Christie A (2003). Caregiving for women with advanced breast cancer. Psycho-Oncol, 12, 709-19. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.696
- Ferrell BR, Grant M (1995) Quality of Life-Family Version. National Medical Center and Beckman Research Institute. (Date of access: 23 November 2012). Available at http://prc.coh.org/pdf/Quality%20of%20Life%20Family%20Version.pdf.
- Ferrell BR, Hassey-Dow K, Grant M (1995). Measurement of the Quality of Life in cancer survivors. Quality Life Res, 4, 523-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00634747
- Fischer LR (1986). Linked Lives: Adult Daughters and their Mothers. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Fisher C (2008). Adaptive communicative behavior of mothers and their adult daughters after a breast cancer diagnosis. The Pennsylvania State University, 303 pages.
- Frioriksdottir N, Saevarsdottir T, Halfdanardottir SI, et al (2011). Family members of cancer patients: Needs, quality of life and symptoms of anxiety and depression. Acta Oncol, 50, 252-8. https://doi.org/10.3109/0284186X.2010.529821
- Gail MH, Brinton LA, Byar DP, et al (1989). Projecting individualized probabilities of developing breast cancer for white females who are being examined annually. J Natl Cancer Inst, 81, 1879-86. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/81.24.1879
- Graubard BI, Freedman AN, Gail MH (2010). Five-year and lifetime risk of breast cancer among U.S. subpopulations: Implications for magnetic resonance imaging screening. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19, 2430-6. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0324
- Gorji MAH, Bouzar Z, Haghshenas M, Kasaeeyan AA, Sadeghi MR, Ardebil MD (2012). Quality of life and depression in caregivers of patients with breast cancer. BMC Res Notes, 5:310 doi:10.1186/1756-0500-5-310. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-5-310
- Grunfeld E, Coyle D, Whelan T, et al (2004). Family caregiver burden: results of a longitudinal study of breast cancer patients and their principal caregivers. J Can Med Assoc, 170, 1795-801. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.1031205
- Hoga LAK, Mello DS, Dias AF (2008). Psychosocial perspectives of the partners of breast cancer patients treated with a mastectomy. Cancer Nurs, 31, 318-25. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NCC.0000305748.43367.1b
- Kershaw T, Northouse L, Kritpracha C, Schafenacker A, Mood D (2004). Coping strategies and quality of life in women with advanced breast cancer and their family caregivers. Psychology Health, 19, 139-55. https://doi.org/10.1080/08870440310001652687
- Kim Y, Given BA (2008).Quality of Life of Family Caregivers of Cancer Survivors Across the Trajectory of the Illness. Cancer Supplement. 112(11);2556-68. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23449
- Kubler-Ross, E (1995). Sorular ve Cevaplarla Yasamin Son Gunleri, Cev. Ed. G. Terakye, Hurbilek Matbaacilik, 1995. Ankara.
- National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/detection/probability-breast-cancer 09/24/2012.
- Northouse L, Kershaw T, Mood D, Schafenacker A (2005) Effects of a family intervention on the quality of life of women with recurrent breast cancer and their family caregivers. Psycho-Oncol, 14, 478-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.871
- Melon S, Norhhouse LL, Weiss LK, A. (2006). Population-based study of the quality of life of cancer survivors and their family caregivers. Cancer Nurs, 29, 120-31. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200603000-00007
- Morimoto T, Schreiner AS, Asano H (2003). Caregiver burden and health-related quality of life among Japanese stroke caregivers. Age Ageing, 32, 218-23. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/32.2.218
- Ogce F, Ozkan S, Baltalarli B (2008). Psychosocial stressors, social support and socio-demographic variables as determinants of quality of life of Turkish breast cancer patients. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 8, 77-82.
- Okcin F, Karadakovan A (2013). Reliability and validity of the quality of life family version (QOL-FV) in Turkish family caregivers of patients with cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4235-840.
- Parks SM, Novielli KD (2000). A practical guide to caring for caregivers. Am Fam Physician, 62, 2613-22.
- Schonfeld SJ, PeeD, Greenlee RT, et al (2010). Effect of changing breast cancer incidence rates on the calibration of the Gail model. J Clin Oncol, 28, 2411-7. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.25.2767
- Vanderwerker LC, Laff RE, Kadan-Lottick NS, McColl S, Prigerson HG (2005). Psychiatric disorders and mental health service use among caregivers of advanced cancer patients. J Clin Oncol, 23, 6899-907. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.01.370
- Wagner CD, Bigatti SM, Storniolo AM (2006).Quality of life of husbands of women with breast cancer. Psycho-Oncol, 15, 109-20. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.928
- Yanez B, Thompson EH, Stanton AL (2011). Quality of life among Latina breast cancer patients: a systematic review of the literature. J Cancer Surviv, 5, 191-207. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11764-011-0171-0
- Topical Use of Recombinant Human Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF)-Based Cream to Prevent Radiation Dermatitis in Breast Cancer Patients: a Single-Blind Randomized Preliminary Study vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4859
- Experiences of Family Caregivers of Cancer Patients Receiving Chemotherapy vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.5063