- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Dietary Phytochemical Index and the Risk of Breast Cancer: A Case Control Study in a Population of Iranian Women
- Bahadoran, Zahra ;
- Karimi, Zeinab ;
- Houshiar-Rad, Anahita ;
- Mirzayi, Hamid-Reza ;
- Rashidkhani, Bahram
- Published : 2013.05.30
In this study we assessed the dietary phytochemical index in relation to the risk of breast cancer in women. This case-control study was conducted on 100 incident breast cancer cases and 175 healthy controls. Data regarding socio-demographic factors, medical history, medications, and anthropometric measurements were collected. Dietary data were obtained using a validated food frequency questionnaire and a energy-adjusted dietary phytochemical index (PI) was calculated. The odds ratios of breast cancer were assessed across energyadjusted PI quartile categories. The mean age of participants was
Breast cancer;diet;phytochemical-rich foods;phytochemical index
- Aune D, Chan DS, Greenwood DC, et al (2012). Dietary fiber and breast cancer risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies. Ann Oncol, 23, 1394-402. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr589
- Aune D, Chan DS, Vieira AR, et al (2012). Dietary compared with blood concentrations of carotenoids and breast cancer risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies. Am J Clin Nutr, 96, 356-73. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.112.034165
- Aune D, Chan DS, Vieira AR, et al (2012). Fruits, vegetables and breast cancer risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 134, 479-93. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-012-2118-1
- Bahadoran Z, Golzarand M, Mirmiran P, Amouzgar A, Azizi F (2012). Association between dietary phytochemical index and occurrence of metabolic syndrome and its risk factors (among Tehranian adults): Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study. Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 14, 343-51
- Bahadoran Z, Mirmiran P, Golzarand M, Shiva N, Azizi F (2013). The association of dietary phytochemical index and cardiometabolic risk factors in adults: Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study. J Hum Nutr Diet, [Epub ahead of print].
- Dong JY, Qin LQ (2011). Soy isoflavones consumption and risk of breast cancer incidence or recurrence: a meta-analysis of prospective studies. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 125, 315-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-010-1270-8
- Egeberg R, Olsen A, Loft S, et al (2009). Intake of whole grain products and risk of breast cancer by hormone receptor status and histology among postmenopausal women. Int J Cancer, 124, 745-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23992
- Ferrari P, Rinaldi S, Jenab M, et al (2013). Dietary fiber intake and risk of hormonal receptor-defined breast cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study1,2. Am J Clin Nutr, 97, 344-53. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.112.034025
- Fowke JH, Chung FL, Jin F, et al (2003). Urinary isothiocyanate levels, brassica, and human breast cancer. Cancer Res, 63, 3980-6.
- Holmes MD, Willett WC (2004). Does diet affect breast cancer risk? Breast Cancer Res, 6, 170-8. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr909
- Hui C, Qi X, Qianyong Z, et al (2013). Flavonoids, flavonoid subclasses and breast cancer risk: a meta-analysis of epidemiologic studies. PLoS One, 8, 54318. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0054318
- Katdare M, Osborne M, Telang NT (2002). Soy isoflavone genistein modulates cell cycle progression and induces apoptosis in HER-2/neu oncogene expressing human breast epithelial cells. Int J Oncol, 21, 809-15.
- Kris-Etherton PM, Hecker KD, Bonanome A, et al (2002). Bioactive compounds in foods: their role in the prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer. Am J Med, 113, 71-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9343(01)00995-0
- Lee KW, Bode AM, Dong Z (2011). Molecular targets of phytochemicals for cancer prevention. Nat Rev Cancer, 11, 211-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc3017
- Liu RH (2004). Potential synergy of phytochemicals in cancer prevention: mechanism of action. J Nutr, 134, 3479-85.
- Loo G (2003). Redox-sensitive mechanisms of phytochemicalmediated inhibition of cancer cell proliferation (review). J Nutr Biochem, 14, 64-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2863(02)00251-6
- Masala G, Assedi M, Bendinelli B, et al (2012). Fruit and vegetables consumption and breast cancer risk: the EPIC Italy study. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 132, 1127-36. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-011-1939-7
- McCarty MF (2004). Proposal for a dietary “phytochemical index”. Med Hypothes, 63, 813-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2002.11.004
- Michels KB, Mohllajee AP, Roset-Bahmanyar E, Beehler GP, Moysich KB (2007). Diet and breast cancer: a review of the prospective observational studies. Cancer, 109, 2712-49. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22654
- Miller PE, Snyder DC (2012). Phytochemicals and cancer risk: a review of the epidemiological evidence. Nutr Clin Pract, 27, 599-612. https://doi.org/10.1177/0884533612456043
- Mirmiran P, Bahadoran Z, Golzarand M, Shiva N, Azizi F (2012). Association between dietary phytochemical index and 3-year changes in weight, waist circumference and body adiposity index in adults: Tehran Lipid and Glucose study. Nutr Metab (Lond), 9, 108. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-7075-9-108
- Mirmiran P, Esfahani FH, Mehrabi Y, Hedayati M, Azizi F (2010). Reliability and relative validity of an FFQ for nutrients in the Tehran lipid and glucose study. Public Health Nutr, 13, 654-62. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980009991698
- Nicodemus KK, Jacobs DR Jr, Folsom AR (1996). Whole and refined grain intake and risk of incident postmenopausal breast cancer (United States). Cancer Causes Control, 12, 917-25.
- Potter JD, Steinmetz K (1996). Vegetables, fruit and phytoestrogens as preventive agents. IARC Sci Publ, 139, 61-90.
- Sak K (2012). Chemotherapy and dietary phytochemical agents. Chemother Res Pract, 2012, 282570.
- Saracino MR, Lampe JW (2007). Phytochemical regulation of UDP-glucuronosyltransferases: implications for cancer prevention. Nutr Cancer, 59, 121-41. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635580701458178
- Sartippour MR, Heber D, Ma J, et al (2001). Green tea and its catechins inhibit breast cancer xenografts. Nutr Cancer, 40, 149-56. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327914NC402_11
- Shu L, Cheung KL, Khor TO, Chen C, Kong AN (2010). Phytochemicals: cancer chemoprevention and suppression of tumor onset and metastasis. Cancer Metastasis Rev, 29, 483-502. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10555-010-9239-y
- Smith-Warner SA, Spiegelman D, Yaun SS, Adami HO, Beeson WL (2001). Intake of fruits and vegetables and risk of breast cancer: a pooled analysis of cohort studies. JAMA, 285, 769-76. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.285.6.769
- Sun J, Liu RH (2008). Apple phytochemical extracts inhibit proliferation of estrogen-dependent and estrogenindependent human breast cancer cells through cell cycle modulation. Agric Food Chem, 56, 11661-7. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf8021223
- Tan AC, Konczak I, Sze DM, Ramzan I (2011). Molecular pathways for cancer chemoprevention by dietary phytochemicals. Nutr Cancer, 63, 495-505. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2011.538953
- Telang NT, Katdare M, Bradlow HL, Osborne MP, Fishman J (2007). Inhibition of proliferation and modulation of estradiol metabolism: novel mechanisms for breast cancer prevention by the phytochemical indole-3-carbinol. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med, 216, 246-52.
- van Gils CH, Peeters PH, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, et al (2005). Consumption of vegetables and fruits and risk of breast cancer. JAMA, 293, 183-93. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.293.2.183
- Waladkhani AR, Clemens MR (1998). Effect of dietary phytochemicals on cancer development. Int J Mol Med, 1, 747-53.
- Zhang X, Spiegelman D, Baglietto L, et al (2012). Carotenoid intakes and risk of breast cancer defined by estrogen receptor and progesterone receptor status: a pooled analysis of 18 prospective cohort studies. Am J Clin Nutr, 95, 713-25. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.111.014415
- Effect of Low-fat Diet on Breast Cancer Survival: a Meta-analysis vol.15, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1141
- Dietary Resistant Starch Contained Foods and Breast Cancer Risk: a Case-Control Study in Northwest of Iran vol.16, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.10.4185
- Inhibitory Aromatase Effects of Flavonoids from Ginkgo Biloba Extracts on Estrogen Biosynthesis vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6317
- Increased fruit and vegetable intake among older adults participating in Kentucky’s congregate meal site program vol.42, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/03601277.2016.1231511
- Association between high consumption of phytochemical-rich foods and anthropometric measures: a systematic review vol.68, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/09637486.2016.1229761
- Dietary phytochemicals in breast cancer research: anticancer effects and potential utility for effective chemoprevention vol.23, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12199-018-0724-1