- Volume 14 Issue 4
Background: Despite recent valuable steps in initiating a cancer registry in Iran, data depicting prevalence, incidence, and clinical picture of pancreatic tumors in the country are exceedinglyly sparse. With the aim of filling this knowledge gap, we reviewed cases in the pathology archive of Shahid Sadoughi hospital (Yazd, Iran), between 2001 and 2011. Materials and Methods: Medical records of 177 patients are reported in the present study. In cases for which paraffin-embedded blocks were available, the specimens were evaluated by two independent pathologists blinded to the primary diagnosis. We extrapolated the frequency of malignant lesions in our study to the population of Yazd province, derived from national census data, to generate cancer incidence rates. Results: Final diagnosis of malignancy was made in 117 cases (66.1%), and the remainder (60 lesions, 33.9%) were classified as benign. Adenecarcinoma and neuroendocrine tumors were the two most common histological types of malignancy identified in 88 (75.2%) and 11 (9.4%) specimens, respectively. Crude annual incidence of pancreatic cancer was 0.55 per 100,000 person in 2001 and increased to 1.68 in 2011. Age standardized incidence rates in 2001 and 2011 were 0.75 and 2.68, respectively. A significant increasing trend in cancer incidence was observed during the 11 years of the study period (r=+0.856, p=0.009). Sex-stratified analysis, confirmed the observed trend in men (r=+0.728, p=0.034), but not women (r=+0.635, p=0.083). Conclusions: Over the past decade, incidence of pancreas malignancies has risen steadily in Yazd, Iran. Nevertheless, these figures are still substantially lower than those prevalent in developed nations.
Pancreas;malignancy;incidence data;Yazd, Iran
- Ahmad OB, Boschi-Pinto C, Lopez AD, et al (2001). Age standardization of rates: a new WHO standard: World Health Organization Geneva.
- Banks PA, Freeman ML (2006). Practice guidelines in acute pancreatitis. Am J Gastroenterol, 101, 2379-400. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2006.00856.x
- Carriaga MT, Henson DE (2006). Liver, gallbladder, extrahepatic bile ducts, and pancreas. Cancer, 75, 171-90.
- Hidalgo M (2010). Pancreatic cancer. N Engl J Med, 362, 1605-17. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra0901557
- Holmes L, Bordeianou L (2011). Screening and prevention of extracolonic cancers in patients with hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer. Semin Colon Rectal Surg, 22, 123-6. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.scrs.2010.12.013
- Huxley R, Ansary-Moghaddam A, de Gonzalez AB, et al (2005). Type-II diabetes and pancreatic cancer: a meta-analysis of 36 studies. Br J Cancer, 92, 2076-83. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6602619
- Iacobuzio-Donahue CA (2012). Genetic evolution of pancreatic cancer: lessons learnt from the pancreatic cancer genome sequencing project. Gut, 61, 1085-94. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2010.236026
- Jamali A, Kamgar M, Massarrat S, et al (2011). Pancreatic Cancer: State of the Art and Current Situation in the Islamic Republic of Iran. Govaresh, 14, 189-97.
- Jemal A, Murray T, Ward E, et al (2005). Cancer statistics, 2005. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 10-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.1.10
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2008). Cancer statistics, 2008. CA Cancer J Clin, 58, 71-96. https://doi.org/10.3322/CA.2007.0010
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2009). Cancer statistics, 2009. CA Cancer J Clin, 59, 225-49. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20006
- Kimmey MB, Bronner MP, Byrd DR, Brentnall TA (2002). Screening and surveillance for hereditary pancreatic cancer. Gastrointest Endosc, 56, 82-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5107(02)70092-8
- Klein AP (2012). Genetic susceptibility to pancreatic cancer. Mol Carcinog, 51, 14-24. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.20855
- Kloppel G (1996). Histological typing of tumours of the exocrine pancreas: Springer Verlag.
- Li D, Xie K, Wolff R, Abbruzzese JL (2004). Pancreatic cancer. Lancet, 363, 1049-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(04)15841-8
- Lucas AL, Shakya R, Lipsyc MD, et al (2013). High Prevalence of BRCA1 and BRCA2 Germline Mutations With Loss of Heterozygosity In a Series of Resected Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma and Other Neoplastic Lesions. Clin Cancer Res, [Epub ahead of print].
- McWilliams RR, Wieben ED, Rabe KG, et al (2011). Prevalence of CDKN2A mutations in pancreatic cancer patients: implications for genetic counseling. Eur J Hum Genet, 19, 472-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/ejhg.2010.198
- Momi N, Kaur S, Ponnusamy MP, et al (2012). Interplay between smoking-induced genotoxicity and altered signaling in pancreatic carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis, 33, 1617-28. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgs186
- Mousavi SM, Gouya MM, Ramazani R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran. Ann Oncol, 20, 556-63.
- Palesh M, Fredrikson S, Jamshidi H, et al (2007). Diffusion of magnetic resonance imaging in Iran. Int J Technol Assess Health Care, 23, 278-85.
- Pannala R, Basu A, Petersen GM, Chari ST (2009). New-onset diabetes: a potential clue to the early diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Lancet Oncol, 10, 88-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70337-1
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Schenk M, Schwartz AG, O'Neal E, et al (2001). Familial risk of pancreatic cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 93, 640-4. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/93.8.640
- Siegel R, Ward E, Brawley O, Jemal A (2011). Cancer statistics, 2011. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 212-36. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20121
- Van Lier MG, Wagner A, Mathus-Vliegen EM, et al (2010). High cancer risk in Peutz-Jeghers syndrome: a systematic review and surveillance recommendations. Am J Gastroenterol, 105, 1258-64. https://doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2009.725
- Vincent A, Herman J, Schulick R, et al (2011). Pancreatic cancer. Lancet, 378, 607-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(10)62307-0
- Winter JM, Cameron JL, Campbell KA, et al (2006). 1423 pancreaticoduodenectomies for pancreatic cancer: a singleinstitution experience. J Gastrointest Surg, 10, 1199-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gassur.2006.08.018
- Overview of Cancer Registration Research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013 vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- Clinical, Laboratory Biomarkers and Imaging Findings of Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma in Iran vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4349
- Second-Line Capecitabine and Oxaliplatin Combination for Gemcitabine-Resistant Advanced Pancreatic Cancer vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7119
- Analysis on the Characteristics and Prognosis of Pulmonary Neuroendocrine Tumors vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2205
- Effects of Secondary Left-sided Portal Hypertension on the Radical Operation Rate and Prognosis in Patients with Pancreatic Cancer vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2239
- Expression and Prognostic Significance of lncRNA MALAT1 in Pancreatic Cancer Tissues vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.2971
- Epidemiologic Data, Tumor Size, Histologic Tumor Type and Grade, Pathologic Staging and Follow Up in Cancers of the Ampullary Region and Head of Pancreas in 311 Whipple Resection Specimens of Pakistani Patients vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7541
- Increased UGT1A3 and UGT1A7 Expression is Associated with Pancreatic Cancer vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1651
- The incidence and survival of pancreatic cancer by histology, including rare subtypes: a nation-wide cancer registry-based study from Taiwan pp.20457634, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.1795