- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Systematic Review of Research into the Psychological Aspects of Prostate Cancer in Asia: What do we Know?
- Chambers, Suzanne Kathleen (Griffith Health Institute, Griffith University) ;
- Hyde, Melissa Karen (Griffith Health Institute, Griffith University) ;
- Ip, David Fu-Keung (Faculty of Health and Social Sciences, Hong Kong Polytechnic University) ;
- Dunn, Jeffrey Charles (Griffith Health Institute, Griffith University) ;
- Gardiner, Robert Alexander (Centre for Clinical Research, University of Queensland)
- Published : 2013.04.30
Background: To review the peer reviewed literature on the psychological aspects of the prostate cancer experience of men in Asia. Materials and Methods: Medline and PsycINFO, CINAHL, ProQuest, and Web of Science (1999 - November Week 4, 2012) were searched. Inclusion criteria were: included men with prostate cancer and/or their partners or caregivers who identify as Asian recruited in an Asian country; and assessed health-related quality of life, psychological and social adjustment relating to prostate cancer and published in English after
- Baade P, Youlden DR, Cramb S, Dunn J, Gardiner RA (2012). Epidemiology of Prostate Cancer in the Asia-Pacific Region. In Press.
- Baade PD, Youlden DR, Krnjacki LJ (2009). International epidemiology of prostate cancer: geographical distribution and secular trends. Molecular Nutrition and Food Res, 53, 171-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.200700511
- Bloch S, Love A, Macvean M, et al (2007). Psychological adjustment of men with prostate cancer: a review of the literature. Bio Psycho Social Med, 1, 2.
- Chambers SK, Pinnock C, Lepore SJ, Hughes S, O'Connell DL (2011). A systematic review of psychosocial interventions for men with prostate cancer and their partners. Patient Education and Counseling, 85,75-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2011.01.027
- Chambers SK, Ferguson M, Gardiner RA, Aitken J, Occhipinti S (2012a). Intervening to improve psychological outcomes for men with prostate cancer. Psycho-Oncology, 22,1025-34.
- Chambers SK, Schover L, Halford K, et al (2012b). A randomosed trial of couples-focussed peer support for men with localised prostate cancer. Asia-Pac J Clin Oncology, 8, 226.
- Chambers SK, Schover L, Nielsen L, et al (2013). Couples distress after localised prostate cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer, in press, 118, 500-9.
- Cheng C, Lo BCY, Chio JHM (2010). The Tao way of Chinese coping. In MH Bond (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of Chinese Psychology (pp. 339-420). New York, US: Oxford University Press.
- Chwalisz K, Shah SR, Hand Kayla M (2008). Facilitating rigorous qualitative research in rehabilitation psychology. Rehabilitation Psychology, 53, 387-99. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0012998
- Couper JW, Bloch S, Love A, et al (2006). The psychosocial impact of prostate cancer on patients and their partners. Med J Australia, 185, 428.
- Daly J, Willis K, Small R, et al (2007). A hierarchy of evidence for assessing qualitative health research. J Clin Epidemiology, 60, 43-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2006.03.014
- Elliott R, Fischer CT, Rennie DL (1999). Evolving guidelines for publication of qualitative research studies in psychology and related fields. Bri J Clinical Psychology, 38, 215-9. https://doi.org/10.1348/014466599162782
- Gotay CC, Shimizu H, Muraoka M, et al (2004). Cancer-related attitudes: A comparative study in Japan and the US. Psycho-Oncology, 13, 665-72. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.792
- Hoyt MA, Rubin LR (2012). Gender representation of cancer patients in medical treatment and psychosocial survivorship research. Cancer.
- Kumano H, Haseme E, Fujimoto H, et al (2005). Harmony seeking and the risk of prostate cancer: a prebioptic study. J Psychosomatic Res, 59, 167-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2005.04.006
- Lin YH (2011). Treatment decision regret and related factors following radical prostatectomy. Cancer Nursing, 34, 417-22. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e318206b22b
- Lin YH (2012). Comparison of the uncertainty level of radical prostatectomy recipients with or without psychological support. Int J Urological Nursing, 6, 76-82. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-771X.2012.01149.x
- Long SO, Long BD (1982). Curable cancers and fatal ulcers: Attitudes toward cancer in Japan. Social Science and Med, 16, 2101-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(82)90259-3
- Namiki S, Ishidoya S, Ito A, et al (2009). Quality of life after radical prostatectomy in Japanese men: a 5-year follow up study. Int J Urology, 16, 75-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2042.2008.02197.x
- Namiki S, Saito S, Satoh M, et al (2005). Quality of life after radical prostatectomy in Japanese men: 2 year longitudinal study. Jp J Clinical Oncology, 35, 551-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyi145
- Namiki S, Saito S, Tochigi T, et al (2007). Impact of salvage therapy for biochemical recurrence on health-related quality of life following radical prostatectomy. Int J urology, 14, 186-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2042.2007.01610.x
- Namiki S, Saito S, Tochigi T, et al (2005). Impact of hormonal therapy prior to radical prostatectomy on the recovery of quality of life. Int J Urology, 12, 173-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2042.2005.01014.x
- Namiki S, Saito S, Tochigi T, et al (2007). Psychological distress in Japanese men with localized prostate cancer. Int J Urology, 14, 924-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2042.2007.01746.x
- NHMRC (2000). How to use the evidence: assessment and application of scientific evidence. Handbook series on preparing clinical practice guidelines Retrieved 11th November, 2011, from http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines/ publications/cp69
- Olver I, Vuletich C, Von Dincklage J, et al (2012). Development of Clinical Practice Guidelines using Cancer Council Australia's Cancer Guidelines Wiki Clinical Guidelines Network: Cancer Council Australia, .
- Parker G, Gladstone G, Chee KT (2001). Depression in the planet's largest ethnic group: the Chinese. Am J of Psychiatry, 158, 857-64. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.158.6.857
- Roesch SC, Adams L, Hines A, et al (2005). Coping with prostate cancer: a meta-analytic review. J Behavioral Med, 28, 281-93. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-005-4664-z
- Sato RS, Beppu H, Iba N, Sawada A (2012). The meaning of life prognosis disclosure for Japanese cancer patients: a qualitative study of patients' narratives. Chronic Illness, 8, 225-36. https://doi.org/10.1177/1742395312448940
- Smith DP, Supramaniam R, King MT, et al (2007). Age, health, and education determine supportive care needs of men younger than 70 years with prostate cancer. J Clinical Oncology, 25, 2560-6. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.09.8046
- Steginga SK, Occhipinti S, Gardiner RA, Yaxley J, Heathcote P (2004). Prospective study of men's psychological and decision-related adjustment after treatment for localized prostate cancer. Urology, 63, 751-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2003.11.017
- Steginga SK, Turner E, Donovan J (2008). The decision-related psychosocial concerns of men with localised prostate cancer: targets for intervention and research. World J Urology, 26, 469-74. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00345-008-0279-7
- Steginga SK, Occhipinti S, Dunn J, et al (2001). The supportive care needs of men with prostate cancer. Psycho-Oncology, 10, 66-75. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1611(200101/02)10:1<66::AID-PON493>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Sugimoto M, Takegami M, Suzukamo Y, Fukuhara S, Kakehi Y (2008). Health-related quality of life in Japanese men with localized prostate cancer: Assessment with the SF-8. Int J Urology, 15, 524-528. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2042.2008.02046.x
- Wakatsuki M, Tsuji H, Ishikawa H, et al (2008). Quality of life in men treated with carbon ion therapy for prostate cancer. Int J Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, 72, 1010-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2008.02.035
- Zabora J, Brintzenhofeszoc K, Curbow B, Hooker C, Piantadosi S (2001). The prevalence of psychological distress by cancer site. Psycho-Oncology, 10, 19-28. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1611(200101/02)10:1<19::AID-PON501>3.0.CO;2-6
- A systematic review of psycho-oncology research in Chinese populations: emerging trends vol.22, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12087
- Cognitive function in Chinese prostate cancer patients on androgen-deprivation therapy: A cross-sectional study vol.11, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/ajco.12347
- Psycho-oncology assessment in Chinese populations: a systematic review of quality of life and psychosocial measures vol.25, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12367
- Diabetes mellitus and the risk of prostate cancer: an update and cumulative meta-analysis vol.40, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3109/07435800.2014.934961
- Love, faith and hope – a secondary analysis of prostate cancer survivors and their partners vol.50, pp.2-3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/10376178.2015.1101352
- Providing prostate cancer survivorship care in Japan: Implications from the USA care model vol.23, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/iju.13186
- Factors predicting emotional cue-responding behaviors of nurses in Taiwan: An observational study vol.26, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.4330
- The Impact of Cancer on Psychological and Social Outcomes vol.51, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/ap.12165