- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Perceived Parental Attitudes on Children's Views of Smoking
- Ozturk, Candan (Nursing Department, Faculty of Health Science, Istanbul Sabahattin Zaim University) ;
- Kahraman, Seniha (Celal Bayar University) ;
- Bektas, Murat (Pediatric Nursing Department, Faculty of Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University)
- Published : 2013.04.30
Background: The aim of this study was to examine the effects of perceived parental attitudes on children's discernment of cigarettes. Materials and Methods: The study sample consisted of 250 children attending grades 6, 7 and 8. Data were collected via a socio-demographic survey questionnaire, the Parental Attitude Scale (PAS) and the Decisional Balance Scale (DBS). Data analysis covered percentages, medians, one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) and post-hoc tests using a statistical package. Results: There were 250 participants; 117 were male, 133 were female. The mean age was
- Adalbjarnardottir S, Hafsteinsson LG (2001). Adolescents' perceived parenting styles and their substance use: concurrent and longitudinal Analyses. J Res Adolesc, 11, 401-23.
- Akdur R (2009). Genclerde sigara salgini. Sigara veya saglik sempozyumu, Ankara.
- Bandura A (1989). Social cognitive theory. In R. Vasta (Ed.). Annals of Child Development. vol. 6. six theories of child development, Greenwich, CT JAI Press, 6, 1-60.
- Becano E, Martinez U, Calafat A, et al (2012). Perantal styles and drug use: a review. Drug: Education, Prevent Policy, 19, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.3109/09687637.2011.631060
- Bektas M, Ozturk C, Armstrong M (2010). Cocuklarin sigara icme durumunu ongoren ve tanimlayan karar denge olceginin psikometrik ozellikleri. Anadolu Psikiyatri Derg, 11, 327-34.
- Bektas M, Ozturk C, Armstrong M (2010). An approach to children's smoking behavior using social cognitive learning theory. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1143-9.
- Castrucci BC, Gerlach KK (2006). Understanding the association between authoritative parenting and adolescent smoking. Matern Child Health J, 10, 217-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-005-0061-z
- Chassin L, Presson CC, Rose J ve ark (2005). Parenting style and smoking-specific parenting practices as predictors of adolescent smoking onset. J Pediatr Psychol, 30, 333-44. https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/jsi028
- Chen HS, Sheu JJ, Chen WW (2006). Psychometric testing of the Chinese version of the decisional balance scale. Health Educ and Behav, 33, 812-20. https://doi.org/10.1177/1090198105282411
- Chen HS, Sheu JJ, Percy MS ve ark (2006). The Chinese version of the decisional balance scale. Nursing Res, 55, 225-30. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200607000-00002
- Chen HS, Horner SD, Percy MS ve ark (2008). Stages of smoking acquisition of young Taiwanese adolescents: self-efficacy and decisional balance. Res Nursing & Health, 31, 119-29. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.20236
- De Jesus MC (2000). Comparison of smoking beliefs among columbus, Ohio third graders and their parents, Master Thesis, Graduate School of The Ohio State University, USA, 1-63.
- Fletcher AC, Jefferies BC (1999). Parental mediators of associations between perceived authoritative parenting and early adolescent substance use. J Early Adolescence, 19, 465-87. https://doi.org/10.1177/0272431699019004003
- Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS) (2003). Fact sheet. URL:http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/GTSSData/Ancillary/ DataReports.aspx?Option=1#T Erisim Tarihi: 01/01/2011.
- Haktanir G, Baran G (1998). Genclerin benlik saygisi duzeyleri ile anne baba tutumlarini algilamalarinin incelenmesi. Cocuk ve Ergen Ruh Sagligi Dergisi, 5, 134-41.
- Henriksen L, Jackson C (1998). Anti-smoking socialization: Relationship to parent and child smoking status. Health Communication, 10, 87-101. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327027hc1001_5
- Herken H, Ozkan I, Bodur S ve ark. (1997). Genclerde sigara kullanimi ile anne baba tutumu ve sosyodemografik ozelliklerin iliskisi. Genel Tip Dergisi, 7, 189-93.
- Jackson D (2002). Perceived legitimacy of parental authority and tobacco and alcohol use during early adolescence. J Adolesc Health, 31, 425-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(02)00398-1
- Lamborn SD, Mounts NS, Steinberg L, et al (1991). Patterns of competence and adjustment among adolescents from authoritative, authoritarian, indulgent, and neglectful families. Child Development, 62, 1049-65. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131151
- Plummer BA, Velicer WF, Redding CA, et al (2001). Stage of change, decisional balance, and temptations for smoking measurement and validation in a large, school-based population of adolescents. Addict Behav, 26, 551-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4603(00)00144-1
- Robinette SLA, Fletcher AC, Wright K (2002). Understanding the authoritative parenting-early adolescent tobacco use link: The mediating role of peer tobacco use. J Youth Adolesc, 31, 311-8. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015401718682
- Ulgen H, Ozturk C, Armstrong M (2012). Effect of selfefficacy on turkish children's perceptions of the advantages/ disadvantages of smoking. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 795-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.795
- Ulusoy MD, Demir NO, Baran AD (2005). Ebeveynin cocuk yetistirme bicimi ve ergen problemleri: Ankara ili ornegi. Turk Egitim Bilimleri Dergisi, 3, 367-86.
- WHO (2005). Healt Professionals Against Tobacco. Edt. Bilir N, Telatar G.Tutun Kontrolunde Saglik Profesyonellerinin Rolu. Ankara.
- WHO (2007). The European Tobacco Control Report 2007. Edt. Bilir N, Ozcebe H, Aslan D, Erguder T. ve ark.. Avrupa Tutun Kontrolu Raporu 2007. WHO Turkiye Ofisi.
- WHO (2008). Report On The Global Tobacco Epidemics 2008. World Healt Organization, Geneva.
- WHS (2012). World Health statistic 2012. WHO Press, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland.
- Velicer WF, DiClemente CC, Prochaska JO, et al (1985). Decisional balance measure for assessing and predicting smoking status. J Pers Soc Psychol, 48, 1279-89. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1689
- Yavuzer H (2007). Ana-Baba ve Cocuk, 19. Basim, Remzi Kitabevi As, Istanbul.
- Yilmaz A (2000). Anne-baba tutum olceginin guvenirlik ve gecerlilik calismasi. Cocuk Ruh Sagligi Dergisi, 7, 160-72.
- Correlates of Susceptibility to Smoking among Secondary School Students in Kota Tinggi District, Johor, Malaysia vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6971
- Family Context Factors and the Risk of Smoking among Male Adolescents in Saudi Arabia vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5847
- Effects of adolescents’ self-efficacy and social anxiety on attitudes toward pros and cons of smoking pp.1475-9942, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/14659891.2018.1459899