- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Inhibitory Effect of Benzyl Isothiocyanate on Proliferation in vitro of Human Glioma Cells
- Zhu, Yu (Department of Clinical Laboratory, Tianjin Huan Hu Hospital) ;
- Zhuang, Jun-Xue (Department of Pharmacy, Tianjin Baodi Hospital) ;
- Wang, Qin (Department of Clinical Laboratory, Tianjin Huan Hu Hospital) ;
- Zhang, Hai-Yan (Department of Pharmacy, Tianjin Baodi Hospital) ;
- Yang, Ping (Department of Clinical Laboratory, Tianjin Huan Hu Hospital)
- 발행 : 2013.04.30
Malignant glioma, also known as brain cancer, is the most common intracranial tumor, having an extremely high mortality and recurrence rate. The survival rate of the affected patients is very low and treatment is difficult. Hence, growth inhibition of glioma has become a hot topic in the study of brain cancer treatment. Among the various isothiocyanate compounds, it has been confirmed that benzyl isothiocyanate (BITC) can inhibit the growth of a variety of tumors, including leukemia, glioma and lung cancer, both inside and outside the body. This study explored inhibitory effects of BITC on human glioma U87MG cells, as well as potential mechanisms. It was found that BITC could inhibit proliferation, induce apoptosis and arrest cell cycling of U87MG cells. In addition, it inhibited the expression of SOD and GSH, and caused oxidative stress to tumor cells. Therefore, it is believed that BITC can inhibit the growth of U87MG cells outside the body. Its mechanism may be related to the fact that BITC can cause oxidative stress to tumor cells.
- Deeb D, Gao X, Liu YB, Gautam SC (2012).. Inhibition of cell proliferation and induction of apoptosis by CDDO-Me in pancreatic cancer cells is ROS-dependent. J Exp Ther Oncol, 10, 51-64.
- Deng JS, Chang YC, Wen CL, et al (2012). Hepatoprotective effect of the ethanol extract of Vitis thunbergii on carbon tetrachloride-induced acute hepatotoxicity in rats through anti-oxidative activities. J Ethnopharmacol, 142, 795-803. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2012.06.003
- Fidler IJ (2011). The role of the organ microenvironment in brain metastasis. Semin Cancer Biol, 21,107-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semcancer.2010.12.009
- Gayathri R, Priya DK, Gunassekaran GR, Sakthisekaran D (2009). Ursolic acid attenuates oxidative stress-mediated hepatocellular carcinoma induction by diethylnitrosamine in male Wistar rats.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 933-8.
- Kohsaka S, Takahashi K, Wang L, et al (2013). Inhibition of GSH synthesis potentiates temozolomide-induced bystander effect in glioblastoma. Cancer Lett, 331, 68-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2012.12.005
- Martinez-Outschoorn UE, Balliet R, Lin Z, et al (2012). BRCA1 mutations drive oxidative stress and glycolysis in the tumor microenvironment: implications for breast cancer prevention with antioxidant therapies. Cell Cycle, 11, 4402-13. https://doi.org/10.4161/cc.22776
- Noureen A, Saleem S, Fatima T, Siddiqi HM, Mirza B (2013).. Synthesis, characterization, biological evaluation and QSAR of some Schiff base esters: promising new antitumor, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agents. Pak J Pharm Sci, 26, 113-23.
- Pawlik A, Szczepanski MA, Klimaszewska A, et al (2012). Phenethyl isothiocyanate-induced cytoskeletal changes and cell death in lung cancer cells. Food Chem Toxicol, 50, 3577-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2012.07.043
- Singh SV, Kim SH, Sehrawat A, et al (2012). Biomarkers of phenethyl isothiocyanate-mediated mammary cancer chemoprevention in a clinically relevant mouse model. J Natl Cancer Inst, 104, 1228-39. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djs321
- Tabatabai G, Hegi M, Stupp R, Weller M (2012).Clinical implications of molecular neuropathology and biomarkers for malignant glioma.Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep, 12, 302-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11910-012-0263-x
- Zandalinas SI, Vives-Peris V, Gomez-Cadenas A, Arbona V (2012). A fast and precise method to identify indolic glucosinolates and camalexin in plants by combining mass spectrometric and biological information. J Agric Food Chem, 60, 8648-58. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf302482y
- Phenethyl isothiocyanate suppresses cervical carcinoma metastasis potential and its molecular mechanism vol.10, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2014.2565
- Mitochondria-mediated Apoptosis in Human Lung Cancer A549 Cells by 4-Methylsulfinyl-3-butenyl Isothiocyanate from Radish Seeds vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2133
- Molecular targets of isothiocyanates in cancer: Recent advances vol.58, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.201300684
- β-elemene Induces Caspase-dependent Apoptosis in Human Glioma Cells in vitro through the Upregulation of Bax and Fas/FasL and Downregulation of Bcl-2 vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10407
- The effect of benzyl isothiocyanate and its computer-aided design derivants targeting alkylglycerone phosphate synthase on the inhibition of human glioma U87MG cell line vol.36, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-2986-6
- Targeting Glioblastoma with the Use of Phytocompounds and Nanoparticles vol.11, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11523-015-0378-5
- Benzyl isothiocyanate (BITC) triggers mitochondria-mediated apoptotic machinery in human cisplatin-resistant oral cancer CAR cells vol.8, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1051/bmdcn/2018080315
- New aspects of antiproliferative activity of 4-hydroxybenzyl isothiocyanate, a natural H2S-donor vol.50, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00726-018-2546-2