- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Immunostimulating Effect of a Well-known Thai Folkloric Remedy in Breast Cancer Patients
- Thisoda, Piengpen (Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University) ;
- Ketsa-ard, Kanchana (Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University) ;
- Thongprasert, Sommai (Cancer Clinic) ;
- Vongsakul, Molvibha (Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University) ;
- Picha, Pornthipa (Department of Research, National Cancer Institute, Ministry of Public Health) ;
- Karbwang, Juntra (Department of Clinical Product Development, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University) ;
- Na-Bangchang, Kesara (Chulabhorn International College of Medicine, Thammasat University)
- Published : 2013.04.30
The study aimed to evaluate immune-stimulating effects of a well-known Thai folkloric remedy when used for adjuvant therapy with conventional chemotherapeutics for treatment of breast cancer. Immunostimulating influence of the remedy (215 mg/kg body weight per day) on NK cell activity and TNF-
Supported by : Mahidol University
- Abe N, Ebina T, Ishida N (1982). Interferon induction by glycyrrhizin and glycyrrhetinic acid in mice. Mikroiol Immunol, 26, 535-9.
- Boyum A (1968). Isolation of mononuclear cells and granulocytes from human blood. Scand J Clin Lab, 21, 77-89. https://doi.org/10.3109/00365516809076979
- Burana-Osot J, Pattanapanyasat K, Soonthornchareonnon N, Sukapirom K, Toida T (2010). Characterisation and immunostimulating activity of polysaccharides from Thai medicinal plants. Nat Prod Res, 24, 1403-12. https://doi.org/10.1080/14786410902940974
- Cerottini JC, Brenner KT (1974). Cell mediated cytotoxicity, allograft rejection and tumor immunity. Adv Immunol, 18, 67-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2776(08)60308-9
- Hiserodt JC, Britvan LJ, Targan SR (1982). Inhibition of human natural killing by heterologous and monoclonal antibodies. J Immunol, 129, 2248-54.
- Irwin M, Smith TL, Gillin JC (1987). Low natural killer cytotoxicity in major depression. Life Sci, 41, 2127-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-3205(87)90531-5
- Levy S, Herberman BB, Lippman M, D'Angelo T (1987). Correlation of stress factors with sustained depression of natural killer cell activity and predicted prognosis in patients with breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 5, 348-53.
- Locksley RM, Killeen N, Lenardo MJ (2001). The TNF and TNF receptor superfamilies: integrating mammalian biology. Cell, 104, 487-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(01)00237-9
- Lozzio BB, Lozzio CB (1977). Properties of the K562 cell line derived from a patient with chronic myeloid leukemia. Int J Cancer, 19, 136-42. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910190119
- McCaleb B (1989). Astragalus enhance natural killer cell activity. Herbalgram, 21, 16-21.
- Monjazeb AM, Hsiao HH, Sckisel GD, Murphy WJ (2013). The role of antigen-specific and non-specific immunotherapy in the treatment of cancer. J Immunotoxicol, 9, 248-58.
- Na-Bangchang K, Wiwatwittaya S, Thongprasert S, et al (2012). Anticancer activity and immunostimulating effect on NKcell activity of a well-known Thai folkloric remedy. Int Res J Pharm Pharmacol, 2, 1-11.
- National Cancer Institute of Thailand. Cancer registry. http:// www.nci.go.th/Rep.htm.
- Pollock RE, Lotzova E (1987). Surgical-stress-related suppression of natural killer cell activity: a possible role in tumor metastasis. Nat Immun Cell Growth Regul, 6, 269-78.
- Pross HF, Baines MG, Rubin P, Shragge P, Patterson MS (1981) Spontaneous human lymphocyte-mediated cytotoxicity against tumor target cells. IX. The quantitation of natural killer cell activity. J Clin Immunol, 1, 51-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00915477
- Ruff MR, Gifford GE (1980). Purification and physicochemical characterization of rabbit tumor necrosis factor. J Immunol, 125, 1671-7.
- Salagianni M, Baxevanis CN, Papamichail M, Perez SA (2012). New insights into the role of NK cells in cancer immunotherapy. Oncoimmunol, 1, 205-7. https://doi.org/10.4161/onci.1.2.18398
- Schmidt RE, MacDermott RP, Bartley G (1985). Specific release of proteo-glycans from human natural killer cells during target lysis. Nature, 318, 289-91. https://doi.org/10.1038/318289a0
- Sun Y, Hersh EM, Talapaz M (1983). Immune restoration and/or augmentation of local graft versus host reaction by traditional Chinese medicinal herbs. Cancer, 52, 70-3.
- Talmadge JE, Alvord WG (1987). Stress factors and breast cancer outcome. J Clin Oncol, 5, 333-4.
- Wagner K (1985). Immunostinulatory drugs of fungi and higher plants. In: economic and medicinal plant research Volume 1. Edited by Wagner H, Hikino H, and Farnsworth NR. New York: Academic Press, 113-53.
- Yamada H, Kiyohara H, Cyang JC, Kojima Y, Kumezawa Y (1984). Studies on polysaccharides from Ngelica autiloba. Planta Med, 45, 163-7.