- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
BRAF Mutations in Iranian Patients with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma
- Ranjbari, Nastran (Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Almasi, Sara (Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mohammadi-asl, Javad (Medical Genetics Department, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rahim, Fakher (Toxicology Research Center, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2013.04.30
Background: Papillary thyroid cancer or papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC) is the most common thyroid cancer. The fact that it occasionally occurs in women aged 30-40 years old suggests that genetic alterations are involved its genesis. Recently, activator mutations in BRAF gene have been relatively frequently discovered. Materials and Methods: In this study, we tested 63 DNA samples from PTC patients to identify the V600E mutation frequency in the Ahvaz population. DNA was isolated from formalin fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE) PTC tumor tissues. Genotyping was performed by PCR-RFLP and confirmed by direct DNA sequencing of a subset of PCR products. PCR-RFLP data were reported as genotype frequencies and percentages. Results: Forty nine out of 63 patients (77.8%) had a mutated heterozygote form while 14 (22.2%) showed normal genotype but none demonstrated a mutant homozygote genotype. The frequency of V600E mutation was significantly high in PTC patients. Conclusions: These findings support involvement of V600E mutations in PTC occurrence in Iran. Assessment of correlations between BRAF V600E mutations and papillary thyroid cancer progression needs to be performed.
- Avruch J, Khokhlatchev A, Kyriakis JM, et al (2001). Ras activation of the Raf kinase: tyrosine kinase recruitment of the MAP kinase cascade. Recent Prog Horm Res, 56, 127-55. https://doi.org/10.1210/rp.56.1.127
- Davies H, Bignell GR, Cox C, et al (2002). Mutations of the BRAF gene in human cancer. Nature, 417, 949-54. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature00766
- Dralle H, Machens A (2008). Surgical approaches in thyroid cancer and lymph-node metastases. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab, 22, 971-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beem.2008.09.018
- Durante C, Puxeddu E, Ferretti E, et al (2007). BRAF mutations in papillary thyroid carcinomas inhibit genes involved in iodine metabolism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 92, 2840-3. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2006-2707
- Jeong D, Jeong Y, Lee S, et al (2012). Detection of BRAF(V600E) mutations in papillary thyroid carcinomas by peptide nucleic acid clamp real-time PCR: a comparison with direct sequencing. Korean J Pathol, 46, 61-67. https://doi.org/10.4132/KoreanJPathol.2012.46.1.61
- Kim KH, Kang DW, Kim SH, Seong IO, Kang DY (2004). Mutations of the BRAF gene in papillary thyroid carcinoma in a Korean population. Yonsei Med J, 45, 818-21. https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2004.45.5.818
- Kimura ET, Nikiforova MN, Zhu Z, et al (2003). High prevalence of BRAF mutations in thyroid cancer: genetic evidence for constitutive activation of the RET/PTC-RAS-BRAF signaling pathway in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Cancer Res, 63, 1454-7.
- Lalami Y, Awada A (2011). Recurrent thyroid cancer: a molecular-based therapeutic breakthrough. Curr Opin Oncol. 23, 235-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCO.0b013e3283448206
- Li X, Abdel-Mageed AB, Kandil E (2012). BRAF mutation in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Int J Clin Exp Med, 5, 310-5.
- Mercer KE, Pritchard CA (2003). Raf proteins and cancer: B-Raf is identified as a mutational target. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1653, 25-40.
- Meyerhardt JA, Mayer RJ (2005). Systemic therapy for colorectal cancer. N Engl J Med, 352, 476-487. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra040958
- Pakneshan S, Salajegheh A, Smith RA, Lam AK (2013). Clinicopathological relevance of BRAF mutations in human cancer. Pathology 2013 Apr 16 [PMID: 23594689].
- Peyssonnaux C, Eychene A (2001). The Raf/MEK/ERK pathway: new concepts of activation. Biol Cell, 93, 53-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0248-4900(01)01125-X
- Sithanandam G, Druck T, Cannizzaro LA, et al (1992). B-raf and a B-raf pseudogene are located on 7q in man. Oncogene, 7, 795-9.
- Sithanandam G, Kolch W, Duh FM, Rapp UR (1990). Complete coding sequence of a human B-raf cDNA and detection of B-raf protein kinase with isozyme specific antibodies. Oncogene, 5, 1775-80.
- Soares P, Trovisco V, Rocha AS, et al (2003). BRAF mutations and RET/PTC rearrangements are alternative events in the etiopathogenesis of PTC. Oncogene, 22, 4578-80. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1206706
- Takahashi K, Eguchi H, Arihiro K, et al (2007). The presence of BRAF point mutation in adult papillary thyroid carcinomas from atomic bomb survivors correlates with radiation dose. Mol Carcinog, 46, 242-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.20277
- Xing MW, Tufano WH, Cohen RP, et al (2005). BRAF mutation predicts a poorer clinical prognosis for papillary thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 90, 6373-9. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2005-0987
- Xu X, Quiros RM, Gattuso P, Ain KB, Prinz RA (2003). High prevalence of BRAF gene mutation in papillary thyroid carcinomas and thyroid tumor cell lines. Cancer Res, 63, 4561-7.
- Yoon JH, Kim EK, Moon HJ, Kwak JY (2013) Is follow-up BRAF (V600E) mutation analysis helpful in the differential diagnosis of thyroid nodules with negative results on initial analysis? PLoS One, 8, 58592. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0058592
- Annual Financial Impact of Thyroidectomies for Nodular Thyroid Disease in China vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5921
- A Cyclin D1 (CCND1) Gene Polymorphism Contributes to Susceptibility to Papillary Thyroid Cancer in the Turkish Population vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7181
- Elevated Expression of Nuclear Protein Kinase CK2α as a Poor Prognosis Indicator in Lymph Node Cancerous Metastases of Human Thyroid Cancers vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7425
- BRAF Gene Mutation Analysis in Colorectal Cancer in South of Iran vol.2, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.17795/acr-19917
- The role of BRAF V600E mutation as a potential marker for prognostic stratification of papillary thyroid carcinoma: a long-term follow-up study vol.39, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3109/07435800.2013.879169
- Effects of Preemptive Analgesia with Parecoxib Sodium on Haemodynamics and Plasma Stress Hormones in Surgical Patients with Thyroid Carcinoma vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3977
- gene and papillary thyroid carcinoma vol.84, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/cen.12804
- BRAF-Oncogene-Induced Senescence and the Role of Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone Signaling in the Progression of Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma vol.9, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12672-017-0315-4
- Molecular epidemiology of lung cancer in Iran: implications for drug development and cancer prevention vol.63, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s10038-018-0450-y