- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Preventive Effects of Resveratrol against Azoxymethane Induced Damage in Rat Liver
- Gurocak, Simay (Department of Radiation Oncology, Inonu University School of Medicine) ;
- Karabulut, Ercan (Department of Pharmacology, Cukurova University School of Medicine) ;
- Karadag, Nese (Department of Patology, Inonu University School of Medicine) ;
- Ozgor, Dincer (Department of General Surgery, Inonu University School of Medicine) ;
- Ozkeles, Neslihan (Department of Radiation Oncology, Inonu University School of Medicine) ;
- Karabulut, Aysun Bay (Department of Biochemistry, Inonu University School of Medicine)
- 발행 : 2013.04.30
Background: In recent years, due to modern lifestyles and exposure to chemical carcinogens, cancer cases are steadily increasing. From this standpoint, azoxymethane (AOM), a chemical carcinogen which causes de novo liver damage, and resveratrol, which is an antioxidant found in foods and protects against oxidative stress damage, are of interest. We here aimed to evaluate whether resveratrol could protect the liver tissues from the effects of AOM. Materials and Methods: The study was conducted in 4 groups, each consisting of seven rats, the first receiving only AOM (2 times per week, 5 mg/kg), group 2 AOM and resveratrol (2 times a week, 20 mg/kg), group 3 assessed only as a control and group 4 administered only resveratrol. At the end of the seventh week, the rats were sacrificed. Rat liver MDA, NO, GSH levels were analyzed biochemically, as well as the tissues being evaluated histopathologically. Results: MDA and NO increased in AOM group as signs of increased oxidative stress. The group concomitantly administered resveratrol was been found to be significantly decreased in MDA and NO levels and increased in GSH activity. However, there were no significant findings on histopathological evaluation. Conclusions: In the light of these results, resveratrol appears to exert protective effect on oxidative s tress in the liver tissue due to deleterious effects of chemical carcinogens.
- Bishayee A, Barnes KF, Bhatia D, et al (2010). Resveratrol suppresses oxidative stress and inflammatory response in diethylnitrosamine-initiated. Cancer Prev Res, 3, 753-63.
- Cengiz N, Kavak S, Guzel A, et al (2013), Investigation of the hepatoprotective effects of sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) in carbon tetrachloride-induced liver toxicity. J Membr Biol, 246, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00232-012-9494-7
- Cortas NK, Wakid NW (1990). Determination of inorganic nitrate in serum and urine by a kinetic cadmium reduction method. Clin Chem, 36, 1440-3.
- Deng L, Gui X, Xiong Y, et al (2012). End-stage liver disease: Prevalence, risk factors and clinical characteristics in a cohort of HIV-HCV coinfected han chinese. Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol , 36, 572-82.
- Fairbanks V, Klee GG (1986). Biochemical aspects of hematology. In: N.W. Tietz Editor, Textbook of clinical chemistry W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 1532-4.
- Giovinazzo G, Ingrosso I, Paradiso A, et al (2012). Resveratrol biosynthesis: Plant metabolic engineering for nutritional improvement of food. Plant Foods Hum Nutr, 67, 191-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11130-012-0299-8
- Hamburger T, Broecker-Preuss M, Hartmann M, et al (2013). Effects of glycine, pyruvate, resveratrol, and nitrite on tissue injury and cytokine response in endotoxemic rats. J Surg Res, [Epub ahead of print].
- Khan MA, Chen H, Wan X, et al (2013). Corrigendum to regulatory effects of resveratrol on antioxidant enzymes: a mechanism of groth inhibition and apoptosis induction in cancer. Mol Cells, 35, 219-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10059-013-2259-z
- Khurana S, Shah N, Twaddell WS, et al (2010). S1880 divergent effects of M1 (M1r) and M3 (M3r) muscarinic receptor deletion in azoxymethane (AOM)-induced liver injury. Gastroenterology, 138, 808-9.
- Lamichhane A, Prasad S, Bhaskar N, et al (2012). Malondialdehyde (MDA): An oxidative stres marker in type II diabetes mellitus with and without complications. Current Trends Biotechnol. And Chemical Research, 2, 2.
- Lee CW, Yen FL, Huang HW, et al (2012). Resveratrol nanoparticle system improves dissolution properties and enhances the hepatoprotective effect of resveratrol through antioxidant and antiinflammatory pathways. J Agric Food Chem, 60, 4662-71. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf2050137
- Liao W, Wei H, Wang X, et al (2012). Metabonomic variations associated with aom-induced precancerous colorectal lesions and resveratrol treatment. J Proteome Res, 11, 3436-48. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr300284h
- Pallares V, Calay D, Cedo L, et al (2012). Enhanced antiinflammatory effect of resveratrol and epa intreated endotoxin-activated raw 256.7 macrophages. Br J Nutr, 14, 1562-73.
- Robertis M, Massi E, Poeta ML, et al (2011). The AOM/DSS murine model for the study of colon carcinogenesis: From pathways to diagnosis and therapy studies. J Carcinog, 24, 1477-3163.
- Sayin O, Arslan N, Altun ZS, et al (2011). In vitro effect of resveratrol against oxidative injury of human coronary artery endothelial cells. Turk J Med Sci, 41, 211-8.
- Thrane VR, Thrane AS, Chang J, et al (2012). Real-time analysis of microglial activation and motility in hepatic and hyperammonemic encephalopathy. Neuroscience, 220, 247-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2012.06.022
- Uchiyama M, Mihara M (1978). Determination of malondialdehyde precursor in tissues by thiobarbituric acid test. Anal Biochem, 34, 271-8.
- Wang C, Zhang T, Cui X, et al (2013). Hepatoprotective effects of a chinese herbal formula, longyin decoction, on carbontetrachloride-induced liver injury in chickens. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 10, 2013.
- Zigdon H, Kogot-Levin A, Park JW, et al (2013). Ablation of ceramide synthase 2 causes chronic oxidative stres due to disruption of the mitichondrial respiratory chain. J Biol Chem, 288, 4947-56. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M112.402719
- Antioxidant value and Antiproliferative Efficacy of Mitragynine and a Silane Reduced Analogue vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5659
- Pu-erh Tea Powder Preventive Effects on Cisplatin-Induced Liver Oxidative Damage in Wistar Rats vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7389
- Canola Oil Influence on Azoxymethane-induced Colon Carcinogenesis, Hypertriglyceridemia and Hyperglycemia in Kunming Mice vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2477
- Review of natural products with hepatoprotective effects vol.20, pp.40, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v20.i40.14787
- Protective Role of Selenium and High Dose Vitamin E against Cisplatin - Induced Nephrotoxicty in Rats vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.6877
- Preventive effects of Resveratrol against azoxymethane-induced testis injury in rats vol.49, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/and.12674
- Drug-Induced Liver Toxicity and Prevention by Herbal Antioxidants: An Overview vol.6, pp.1664-042X, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2015.00363
- Inhibition of NF-κB/TNF-α pathway may be involved in the protective effect of resveratrol against cyclophosphamide-induced multi-organ toxicity vol.39, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/08923973.2017.1318913
- vol.18, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1089/rej.2014.1618
- Natural Products for Prevention and Treatment of Chemical-Induced Liver Injuries vol.17, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12335