- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
NAD(P)H: Quinone Oxidoreductase 1 (NQO1) C609T Gene Polymorphism Association with Digestive Tract Cancer: A Meta-analysis
- Zhu, Cheng-Lin (Department of General Surgery, Anhui Provincial Hospital Affiliated with Anhui Medical University, Anhui Province Key Laboratory of Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery) ;
- Huang, Qiang (Department of General Surgery, Anhui Provincial Hospital Affiliated with Anhui Medical University, Anhui Province Key Laboratory of Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery) ;
- Liu, Chen-Hai (Department of General Surgery, Anhui Provincial Hospital Affiliated with Anhui Medical University, Anhui Province Key Laboratory of Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery) ;
- Lin, Xian-Sheng (Department of General Surgery, Anhui Provincial Hospital Affiliated with Anhui Medical University, Anhui Province Key Laboratory of Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery) ;
- Xie, Fang (Department of General Surgery, Anhui Provincial Hospital Affiliated with Anhui Medical University, Anhui Province Key Laboratory of Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery) ;
- Shao, Feng (Department of General Surgery, Anhui Provincial Hospital Affiliated with Anhui Medical University, Anhui Province Key Laboratory of Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery)
- 발행 : 2013.04.30
NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase 1 (NQO1) C609T gene polymorphisms have been reported to influence the risk for digestive tract cancer (DTC) in many studies; however, the results remain controversial and ambiguous. We therefore carried out a meta-analysis of published case-control studies to derive a more precise estimation of any associations. Electronic searches were conducted on links between this variant and DTC in several databases through April 2012. Crude odds ratios (ORs) with 95% confidence intervals (CIs) were calculated to estimate the strength of associations in fixed or random effect models. Heterogeneity and publication bias were also assessed. A total of 21 case-control studies were identified, including 6,198 cases and 7,583 controls. Overall, there was a statistically significant association between the NQO1 C609T polymorphism and DTC risk (TT vs. CC: OR=1.224, 95%CI=1.055-1.421; TT/CT vs. CC: OR=1.195, 95%CI=1.073-1.330; TT vs. CT/CC: OR=1.183, 95%CI=1.029-1.359; T vs. C: OR=1.180, 95%CI=1.080-1.290). When stratified for tumor location, the results based on all studies showed the variant allele 609T might have a significantly increased risk of upper digest tract cancer (UGIC), but not colorectal cancer. In the subgroup analysis by ethnicity, we observed a significantly risk for DTC in Caucasians. For esophageal and gastric cancer, a significantly risk was found in both populations, and for colorectal, a weak risk was observed in Caucasians, but not Asians. This meta-analysis suggested that the NQO1 C609T polymorphism may increase the risk of DTC, especially in the upper gastric tract.
- Asombang AW, Kelly P (2012). Gastric cancer in Africa: what do we know about incidence and risk factors? Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg, 106, 69-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trstmh.2011.11.002
- Benedix F, Kube R, Meyer F, et al (2010). Comparison of 17,641 patients with right-and left-sided colon cancer: differences in epidemiology, perioperative course, histology, and survival. Dis Colon Rectum, 53, 57-64. https://doi.org/10.1007/DCR.0b013e3181c703a4
- Chao C, Zhang ZF, Berthiller J, Boffetta P, Hashibe M (2006). NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1 (NQO1) Pro187Ser polymorphism and the risk of lung, bladder, and colorectal cancers: a meta-analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 15, 979-87. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-05-0899
- Chen B, Zhou Y, Yang P, Wu XT (2010). Glutathione S-transferase M1 gene polymorphism and gastric cancer risk: an updated analysis. Arch Med Res, 41, 558-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arcmed.2010.09.003
- Chen J, Lin Y, Zhang R, Huang ZJ, Pan XG (2012). Contribution of NAD(P)H quinone oxidoreductase 1 (NQO1) Pro187Ser polymorphism and risk of colorectal adenoma and colorectal cancer in Caucasians: a meta-analysis. Arch Med Res, 43, 58-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arcmed.2012.01.005
- Cochran WG (1954). The combination of estimates from different experiments. Biometrics, 10, 101-29. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001666
- Compare D, Rocco A, Nardone G (2010). Risk factors in gastric cancer. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 14, 302-8.
- DerSimonian R, Laird N (1986). Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials, 7, 177-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(86)90046-2
- Enzinger PC, Mayer RJ (2003). Esophageal cancer. N Engl J Med, 349, 2241-52. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra035010
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Hamajima N, Matsuo K, Iwata H, et al (2002). NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase 1(NQO1) C609T polymorphism and the risk of eight cancers for Japanese. Int J Clin Oncol, 7, 103-8.
- Harth V, Donat S, Ko Y, et al (2000). NAD(P)H quinone oxidoreductase 1 codon 609 polymorphism and its association to colorectal cancer. Arch Toxicol, 73, 528-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002040050004
- Hlavata I, Vrana D, Smerhovsky Z, et al (2010). Association between exposure-relevant polymorphisms in CYP1B1, EPHX1, NQO1,GSTM1,GSTP1 and GSTT1 and risk of colorectal cancer in a Czech population. Oncol Rep, 24, 1347-53.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kanavos P (2006). The rising burden of cancer in the developing world. Ann Oncol, 17, 15-23.
- Kelsey KT, Ross D, Traver RD, et al (1997). Ethnic variation in the prevalence of a common NAD(P)H quinone oxidoreductase polymorphism and its implications for anticancer chemotherapy. Br J Cancer, 76, 852-54. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1997.474
- Li Y, Zhang JH, Guo W, et al (2004). Polymorphism of NAD(P) H dehydrogenase (quinone)1 (NQO1) C609T and risk of esophageal neoplasm. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi, 25, 731.
- Malik MA, Zargar SA, Mittal B (2011). Role of NQO1 609C>T and NQO2-3423G>A polymorphisms in susceptibility to gastric cancer in Kashmir valley. DNA Cell Bio, 30, 297-303. https://doi.org/10.1089/dna.2010.1115
- Mantel N, Haenszel W (1959). Statistical aspects of the analysis of data from retrospective studies of disease. J Natl Cancer Inst, 22, 719-48.
- Marjani HA, Biramijamal F, Rakhshani N, Hossein-Nezhad A, Malekzadeh R (2010). Investigation of NQO1 genetic polymorphism, NQO1 gene expression and PAH-DNA adducts in ESCC. A case-control study from Iran. Genet Mol Res, 9, 239-49. https://doi.org/10.4238/vol9-1gmr693
- Mitrou PN, Watson MA, Loktionov AS, et al (2007). Role of NQO1C609T and EPHX1 gene polymorphisms in the association of smoking and alcohol with sporadic distal colorectal adenomas: results from UKFSS Study. Carcinogenesis, 28, 875-82.
- Nebert DW, Roe AL, Vandale SE, Bingham E, Oakley GG (2002). NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase (NQO1) polymorphism, exposure to benzene, and predisposition to disease: a HuGE review. Genet Med, 4, 62-70. https://doi.org/10.1097/00125817-200203000-00003
- Nisa H, Kono S, Yin G, et al (2010). Cigarette smoking, genetic polymorphisms and colorectal cancer risk: the Fukuoka Colorectal Cancer study. BMC Cancer, 10, 274. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-10-274
- Northwood EL, Elliott F, Forman D, et al (2010). Polymorphisms in xenobiotic metabolizing enzymes and diet influence colorectal adenoma risk. Pharmacogenet Genomics, 20, 315-26. https://doi.org/10.1097/FPC.0b013e3283395c6a
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Racette AL, Miller RT (2011). Esophageal carcinoma: matching patients with treatment methods. JAAPA, 24, 28, 30-1.
- Sachse C, Smith G, Wilkie MJ, et al (2002). A pharmacogenetic study to investigate the role of dietary carcinogens in the etiology of colorectal cancer. Carcinogenesis, 23, 1839-49. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/23.11.1839
- Sarbla M, Brrzer M, Siegel D, et al (2003). Association between NAD(P)H: Quinone oxidoreductase 1 (NQO1) inactivating C609T polymorphism and adenocarcinoma of the upper gastrointestinal tract. Int J Cancer, 107, 381-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11430
- Siegel D, McGuinness SM, Winski SL, Ross D (1999). Genotypephenotype relationships in studies of a polymorphism in NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1. Pharmacogenetics, 9, 113-21. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008571-199902000-00015
- Thakkinstian A, McElduff P, D'Este C, Duffy D, Attia J (2005). A method for meta-analysis of molecular association studies. Stat Med, 24, 1291-306. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.2010
- Tijhuis MJ, Visker MH, Aarts JM, et al (2008). NQO1 and NFE212 polymorphisms, fruit and vegetable intake and smoking and the risk of colorectal adenomas in an endoscopy-based population. Int J Cancer, 122, 1842-8.
- Traver RD, Siegel D, Beall HD, et al (1997). Characterization of a polymorphism in NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase (DT-diaphorase). Br J Cancer, 75, 69-75. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1997.11
- Trikalinos TA, Salanti G, Khoury MJ, Ioannidis JP (2006). Impact of violations and deviations in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium on postulated gene-disease associations. Am J Epidemiol, 163, 300-9.
- van der Logt EM, Bergevoet SM, Roelofs HM, et al (2006). Role of epoxide hydrolase, NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase, cytochrome P450 2E1 or alcohol dehydrogenase genotypes in susceptibility to colorectal cancer. Mutat Res, 593, 39-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrfmmm.2005.06.018
- vov Rahden BH, Stein HJ, Langer R, et al (2005). C609T Polymorphism of the NAD(P) H: Quinone oxidoreductase 1 gene does not significantly affect susceptibility for esophageal adenocarcinoma. Int J Cancer, 113, 506-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20576
- Wang Z, Hu J, Zhong J (2012). Meta-analysis of the NAD(P)H: quinine oxidoreductase 1 gene 609 C>T polymorphism with esophageal cancer risk. DNA Cell Biol, 31, 560-7. https://doi.org/10.1089/dna.2011.1332
- Zhang J, Schulz WA, Li Y, et al (2003). Association of NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase1 (NQO1) C609T polymorphism with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in a German Caucasian and a northern Chinese population. Carcinogenesi, 24, 905-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgg019
- Zhang JH, Li Y, Wang R, et al (2003). The NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase 1 C609T polymorphism and susceptibility to esophageal cancer. Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi, 20, 544-6.
- Zhou JY, Shi R, Yu HL, Zheng WL, Ma WL (2011). Association of NQO1 Pro187Ser polymorphism with the risks for colorectal cancer and colorectal adenoma: a meta-analysis. Int J Colorectal Dis, 27, 1123-4.
- NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase-1 overexpression predicts poor prognosis in small cell lung cancer vol.32, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2014.3494
- Quantitative assessment of the associations between DNA repair gene XRCC3 Thr241Met polymorphism and gastric cancer vol.35, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-1219-8
- Genetic variants of NQO1 gene increase bladder cancer risk in Indian population and meta-analysis vol.35, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-1869-1
- Genetic polymorphism 609C>T in NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1 enhances the risk of proximal colon cancer vol.59, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1038/jhg.2014.38
- Gene (CYP1A2, CYP2F1, NQO1, UGT2B7, CAT, GSTP1)—Environmental interactions analysis in occupational vol.5, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1134/S2079059715050020
- gene polymorphisms and digestive tract cancer susceptibility: a meta-analysis vol.20, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jcmm.12853
- Gene C609T Polymorphism (dbSNP: rs1800566) and Digestive Tract Cancer Risk: A Meta-Analysis.” vol.70, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2018.1460674