- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Proteomic Profiling of Serum from Stage I Lung Squamous Cell Carcinoma Patients
- Li, Xin-Ju (Department of Thoracic Surgery, the First Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Wu, Qi-Fei (Department of Thoracic Surgery, the First Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- He, Da-Lin (Department of Urology Surgery, the First Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Fu, Jun-Ke (Department of Thoracic Surgery, the First Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Jin, Xin (Department of Thoracic Surgery, the First Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University)
- Published : 2013.04.30
Objectives: This study employed proteomic profiling to identify specific tumor markers that might improve early diagnosis of lung squamous cell carcinoma. Methods: Serum samples were isolated from 30 patients with stage I lung squamous cell carcinoma and 30 age-and gender-matched healthy controls, and proteomic profiles were obtained by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization time of flight mass spectrometry. Results: Three highly expressed potential tumor markers were identified in the sera of stage I lung squamous cell carcinoma patients, with molecular weights of 3261.69, 3192.07, and 2556.92 Da. One protein peak with molecular weight 3261.69 Da was chosen as the candidate biomarker and identified as a fibrinogen alpha chain through a search of the IPI, NCBI or SWISS-PROT protein databases. Conclusion: As a potential tumor biomarker, fibrinogen alpha chain may be applicable for the early diagnosis and prognosis of lung squamous cell carcinoma patients.
- Adam BL, Qu Y, Davis JW, et al (2002). Serum protein fingerprinting coupled with a pattern-matching algorithm distinguishes prostate cancer from benign prostate hyperplasia and healthy men. Cancer Res, 62, 3609-14.
- Adams J, Wu HH (2012). The utility of fine-needle aspiration in the diagnosis of primary and metastatic tumors to the lung: a retrospective examination of 1,032 cases. Acta Cytol, 56, 590-5. https://doi.org/10.1159/000342935
- Brummel KE, Butenas S, Mann KG (1999). An integrated study of fibrinogen during blood coagulation. J Biol Chem, 274, 22862-70. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.274.32.22862
- Castelli R, Porro F (2006). Cancer and thromboembolism: from biology to clinics. Minerva Med, 97, 175-89.
- Diamandis EP, van der Merwe DE (2005). Plasma protein profiling by mass spectrometry for cancer diagnosis: opportunities and limitations. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 963-5.
- Huang LJ, Chen SX, Huang Y, et al (2006). Proteomics-based identification of secreted proteindihydrodiol dehydrogenase as a novel serum markers of non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 54, 87-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2006.06.011
- Jemal A, Tiwari RC, Murray T, et al (2004). Cancer statistics, 2004. CA Cancer J Clin, 54, 8-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.54.1.8
- Kikuchi T, Carbone DP (2007). Proteomics analysis in lung cancer: challenges and opportunities. Respirology, 12, 22-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1843.2006.00957.x
- Kulpa J, Wojcik E, Reinfuss M, et al (2002). Carcinoembryonic antigen, squamous cell carcinoma antigen, CYFRA 21-1, and neuron-specific enolase in squamous cell lung cancer patients. Clin Chem, 48, 1931-7.
- Petricoin EF, Ardekani AM, Hitt BA, et al (2002). Use of proteomic patterns in serum to identify ovarian cancer. Lancet, 359, 572-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(02)07746-2
- Rijken DC, Dirkx SP, Luider TM, et al (2006). Hepatocytederived fibrinogen-related protein-1 is associated with the fibrin matrix of a plasma clot. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 350, 191-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2006.09.018
- Takashima S, Maruyama Y, Hasegawa M, et al (2003). CT findings and progression of small peripheral lung neoplasms having a replacement growth pattern. Am J Roentgenol, 180, 817-26. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.180.3.1800817
- Villanueva J, Philip J, Entenberg D, et al (2004). Serum peptide profiling by magnetic particle-assisted, automated sample processing and MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. Anal Chem, 76, 1560-70. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac0352171
- Villanueva J, Shaffer DR, Philip J, et al (2006). Differential exoprotease activities confer tumor-specific serum peptidome patterns. J Clin Invest, 116, 271-84.
- Proteomic Approaches in Biomarker Discovery: New Perspectives in Cancer Diagnostics vol.2014, pp.1537-744X, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/260348
- Pemetrexed Induces G1 Phase Arrest and Apoptosis through Inhibiting Akt Activation in Human Non Small Lung Cancer Cell Line A549 vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1507
- Low-mass-ion discriminant equation (LOME) for ovarian cancer screening vol.9, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13040-016-0111-7