- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Levels of Knowledge about Etiology and Symptoms of Oral Cancer in Southern Iran
- Tadbir, Azadeh Andisheh (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Shiraz Medical University) ;
- Ebrahimi, Hooman (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Medicine, Shiraz Medical University) ;
- Pourshahidi, Sara (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Medicine, Shiraz Medical University) ;
- Zeraatkar, Maryam (Dental School, Shiraz Medical University)
- Published : 2013.04.30
Background: Knowledge regarding risk factors and primary signs of oral cancer in the general population can help them to avoid risky behaviour and seek timely advice from a physician. The aim of this study was to survey adult knowledge about risk factors and signs of oral cancer in Shiraz Dental University. Materials and Methods: In this descriptive cross-sectional study using an investigator-made questionnaire, 783 adults who were referred to Shiraz Dental University participated. Questionnaire data were analyzed by ANOVA and T-test. Results: The results showed that 32.3% of participants were aware of oral cancer and gained their knowledge from the media. The risk factors mentioned by these participants was as follows: sunlight 30.8%, hot and peppery food 40.7%, alcoholic drinks 47.4% and smoking 73.6% (there was significant relationship for drinking alcohol and gender, education and times of using dental service, p<0.05). They also mentioned the primary signs of oral cancer as follows: red patch without pain 27.8%, white patch without pain 13.5% and prolong scarring without pain 56.7% (there was significant relationship between these three signs and education and times of using dental service, p<0.05). The mean knowledge about the risk factors and signs of oral cancer were 1.94 from 5 with 1.14 standard deviation and 0.96 from 3 with 0.93 standard deviation. Conclusions: The observed low level of knowledge of people regarding both risk factors and signs of oral cancer emphasizes the need for more efforts to be made about the above mentioned issues by the media.
- Andisheh-Tadbir A Andisheh-Tadbir A, Mehrabani D, Heydari ST (2008). Epidemiology of squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity in Iran. J Craniofacial Sur, 19, 1699-702. https://doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0b013e31818c04cc
- Ariyawardana A, Vithanaarachchi N (2005). Awareness of oral cancer and precancerous among patients attending a hospital in Sri-Lanka. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 58-61.
- Ashe TE, Elter JR, Southerland JH, Strauss RP, Patton LL (2005). North Carolina dental hygienists' assessment of patients' tobacco and alcohol use. J Dent Hyg, 79, 9.
- Cannick GF, Horowitz AM, Drury TF, Reed SG, Day TA (2005). Assessing oral cancer knowledge among dental students in South Carolina. J Am Dent Assoc, 136, 373-8. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2005.0180
- Carter LM, Ogden GR (2007). Oral cancer awareness of general medical and general dental practitioners. BMC Med Educ, 7, 44. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-7-44
- Epstein J, Waai IVD (2008). Oral Cancer. In: Greenburg M.S., Glick M, Ship J.A. Burket's Oral Medicine. Hamilton: BC Decker Inc; p.153-189.
- Haung WY, Winn DM, Brown LM, et al (2003). Alcohol concentration and risk of oral cancer in Puerto rico. Am J Epidemiol, 157, 881-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwg055
- Horowitz AN, Nourjah P, Gift HC (1995). US adult knowledge of risk factors and signs of oral cancer: 1990. J Am Dent Assoc, 126, 39-45. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1995.0022
- Kakoei S, Rad M, Mahmoudvand N, Mohammadalizadeh S (2009). A survey of the Kerman adults' knowledge about the signs and risk factor of oral carcinoma. Shiraz Univ Dent J, 10, 234-40.
- Little JW, Falace DA, Miller CS, Rhodus NL (2008). Dental Management of the Medically Compromised Patient. St Louis: Mosby; p.433-459.
- Nicoter G, Sandro M, Stasio D, Italo FA (2004). Knowledge and behaviors of primary care physicians on oral cancer in Italy. Oral Oncol, 40, 490-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2003.10.001
- Nicotera G, Gnisci F, Bianco A, Angelillo IF (2004). Dental hygienists and oral cancer prevention: knowledge, attitudes and behaviors in Italy. Oral Oncol, 40, 638-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2004.01.003
- Pakfetrat A, Falaki F, Esmaily HO, Shabestari S (2010). Oral cancer knowledge among patients referred to Mashhad Dental School. Arch Iran Med, 13, 543-8.
- Powe BD, Finnie R (2004). Knowledge of oral cancer risk factor among African American: do nurses have a role? Oncol Nurs Forum, 31, 785-91. https://doi.org/10.1188/04.ONF.785-791
- Rogers SN, Hunter R, Lowe D (2011). Awareness of oral cancer in the Mersey region. Bri J Oral Maxillofacial Surg, 49, 176-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2010.04.004
- Tomar SL, Logan HL (2005). Florida adult's oral cancer knowledge and examination experiences. J Public Health Dent, 65, 221-30. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2005.tb03022.x
- Vida ZF, Shah K, Mason J, Shucksmith J (2012). Identifying factors to improve oral cancer screening uptake: a qualitative study. PLoS One, 7, 47410. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0047410
- West R, Alkhatib MN, McNeil A, Bedi R (2006). Awareness of mouth cancer in Great Britain. Br Dent J, 200, 167-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4813197
- Wood NK, Sawyer DR (1997). Oral Cancer. In: Wood NK, Gaaz PW. Differential Diagnosis of oral and Maxillofacial Lesions. St Louis: Mosby; 587-593.
- Yellowitz JA, Horowitz AM, Drury TF, Goodman HS (2000). Survey of US dentists' knowledge and opinions about oral pharyngeal cancer. J Am Dent Assoc, 131, 653-61. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2000.0239
- Oral Cancer: Knowledge, Practices and Opinions of Dentists in Yemen vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5627
- Oral Cancer Knowledge of Senior Dental Students in Zahedan, South-East of Iran vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3017
- Public Awareness and Knowledge of Oral Cancer in Yemen vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10861
- Knowledge and Opinions Regarding Oral Cancer among Yemeni Dental Students vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1765
- Oral Cancer Awareness of the General Public in Saudi Arabia vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3377
- Knowledge on oral cancer among dentistry students at Federal University of Maranhão vol.44, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1590/1807-2577.1057
- Awareness of Mouth Cancer Among Adult Dental Patients Attending the Kuwait University Dental School Clinic pp.1543-0154, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-016-1110-6
- Oral Cancer Awareness Among Dental Patients in Omdurman, Sudan: a cross-sectional Study vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-017-0351-z
- Oral Cancer Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices among Dentists in Khartoum State, Sudan pp.1543-0154, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-017-1300-x
- Oral Cancer Early Detection: What Do Patients Need To Know? pp.1543-0154, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-017-1191-x
- Population Survey of Knowledge about Oral Cancer and Related Factors in the Capital of Iran pp.1543-0154, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-017-1275-7
- Disparities in Oral Cancer Awareness: a Population Survey in Tehran, Iran pp.1543-0154, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-018-1337-5
- Knowledge and awareness of oral cancer and impact of pictorial warnings on the willingness to quit tobacco in young tobacco consumers in India vol.0, pp.0, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1515/ijamh-2018-0185