- Volume 14 Issue 4
Recently, use of natural products available from marine sources, and especially algae products, are receiving more attention. Scientific evidence for claimed nutraceutical and therapeutical effects of one such marine algae product, fucoxanthin, is discussed in this paper with a summary of the currently available literature regarding its antioxidant, anti-obesity and anticancer activities. It is safe for use in humans, but as it has poor solubility a nano-suspension mode of delivery may be adopted to improve efficacy of supplments. We conclude from ourliterature review that the marine algae product fucoxanthin has significant antioxidant, anti-obesity and anticancer activity with established mechanisms of action.
Anti-cancer mechanism;antioxidant activity;anti-obesity;fucoxanthin;marine algae
- Ayyad SE, Ezmirly ST, Basaif SA (2011). Antioxidant, cytotoxic, antitumor, and protective DNA damage metabolites from the red sea brown alga Sargassum sp. Pharmacognosy Res, 3, 160-5. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-8490.85000
- Beppu F, Niwano Y, Tsukui T (2009). Single and repeated oral dose toxicity study of fucoxanthin (FX), a marine carotenoid, in mice. J Toxicol Sci, 34, 501-10. https://doi.org/10.2131/jts.34.501
- Heo SJ, Jeon YJ (2009). Protective effect of fucoxanthin isolated from Sargassum siliquastrum on UV-B induced cell damage. J Photochem Photobiol B, 95, 101-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2008.11.011
- Hu X, Li Y, Li C (2011). Combination of fucoxanthin and conjugated linoleic acid attenuates body weight gain and improves lipid metabolism in high-fat diet-induced obese rats. Arch Biochem Biophys, 519, 59-65.
- Ishikawa C, Tafuku S, Kadekaru T (2008). Anti-adult T-cell leukemia effects of brown algae fucoxanthin and its deacetylated product, fucoxanthinol. Int J Cancer, 123, 2702-12. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23860
- Kelman D, Posner EK, McDermid KJ, et al (2012). Antioxidant activity of hawaiian marine algae. Mar Drugs, 10, 403-16. https://doi.org/10.3390/md10020403
- Kim KN, Heo SJ, Kang SM (2010). Fucoxanthin induces apoptosis in human leukemia HL-60 cells through a ROSmediated Bcl-xL pathway. Toxicol In Vitro, 24, 1648-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2010.05.023
- Kim SK, Pangestuti R (2011). Biological activities and potential health benefits of fucoxanthin derived from marine brown algae. Adv Food Nutr Res, 64, 111-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-387669-0.00009-0
- Kotake-Nara E, Asai A, Nagao A (2005). Neoxanthin and fucoxanthin induce apoptosis in PC-3 human prostate cancer cells. Cancer Lett, 220, 75-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2004.07.048
- Kotake-Nara E, Kushiro M, Zhang H (2001). Carotenoids affect proliferation of human prostate cancer cells. J Nutr, 131, 3303-6.
- Lai CS, Tsai ML, Badmaev V, (2012). Xanthigen Suppresses Preadipocyte Differentiation and Adipogenesis through Down-regulation of PPARgamma and C/EBPs and Modulation of SIRT-1, AMPK, and FoxO Pathways. J Agric Food Chem, 60, 1094-101. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf204862d
- Liu CL, Huang YS, Hosokawa M (2009). Inhibition of proliferation of a hepatoma cell line by fucoxanthin in relation to cell cycle arrest and enhanced gap junctional intercellular communication. Chem Biol Interact, 182, 165-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2009.08.017
- Miyashita K (2009). Function of marine carotenoids. Forum Nutr, 61, 136-46. https://doi.org/10.1159/000212746
- Miyashita K, Nishikawa S, Beppu F (2011). The allenic carotenoid fucoxanthin, a novel marine nutraceutical from brown seaweeds. J Sci Food Agric, 91, 1166-74. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.4353
- Okada T, Mizuno Y, Sibayama S (2011). Antiobesity effects of Undaria lipid capsules prepared with scallop phospholipids. J Food Sci, 76, 2-6.
- Peng J, Yuan JP, Wu CF, et al (2011). Fucoxanthin, a marine carotenoid present in brown seaweeds and diatoms: metabolism and bioactivities relevant to human health. Mar Drugs, 9, 1806-28. https://doi.org/10.3390/md9101806
- Riccioni G (2012). Marine carotenoids and oxidative stress. Mar Drugs, 10, 116-8. https://doi.org/10.3390/md10010116
- Sachindra NM, Sato E, Maeda H (2007). Radical scavenging and singlet oxygen quenching activity of marine carotenoid fucoxanthin and its metabolites. J Agric Food Chem, 55, 8516-22. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf071848a
- Sangeetha RK, Bhaskar N, Baskaran V (2009). Comparative effects of beta-carotene and fucoxanthin on retinol deficiency induced oxidative stress in rats. Mol Cell Biochem, 331, 59-67. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11010-009-0145-y
- Satomi Y, Nishino H (2009). Implication of mitogen-activated protein kinase in the induction of G1 cell cycle arrest and gadd45 expression by the carotenoid fucoxanthin in human cancer cells. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1790, 260-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2009.01.003
- Satomi Y (2012). Fucoxanthin Induces GADD45A Expression and G1 Arrest with SAPK/JNK Activation in LNCap Human Prostate Cancer Cells. Anticancer Res, 32, 807-13.
- Shimoda H, Tanaka J, Shan SJ (2010). Anti-pigmentary activity of fucoxanthin and its influence on skin mRNA expression of melanogenic molecules. J Pharm Pharmacol, 62, 1137-45. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-7158.2010.01139.x
- Tanaka T, Shnimizu M, Moriwaki H (2012). Cancer chemoprevention by carotenoids. Molecules, 17, 3202-42. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules17033202
- Urikura I, Sugawara T, Hirata T (2011). Protective effect of Fucoxanthin against UVB-induced skin photoaging in hairless mice. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem, 75, 757-60. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.110040
- Yamamoto K, Ishikawa C, Katano H (2011). Fucoxanthin and its deacetylated product, fucoxanthinol, induce apoptosis of primary effusion lymphomas. Cancer Lett, 300, 225-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2010.10.016
- Yim MJ, Hosokawa M, Mizushina Y (2011). Suppressive effects of Amarouciaxanthin A on 3T3-L1 adipocyte differentiation through down-regulation of PPARgamma and C/EBPalpha mRNA expression. J Agric Food Chem, 59, 1646-52. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf103290f
- Yonekura L, Kobayashi M, Terasaki M, et al (2010).Ketocarotenoids are the major metabolites of dietary lutein and fucoxanthin in mouse tissues. J Nutr, 140, 1824-31. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.110.126466
- Yu RX, Hu XM, Xu SQ (2011). Effects of fucoxanthin on proliferation and apoptosis in human gastric adenocarcinoma MGC-803 cells via JAK/STAT signal pathway. Eur J Pharmacol, 657, 10-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2010.12.006
- Zaragoza MC, Lopez D, Saiz P (2008). Toxicity and antioxidant activity in vitro and in vivo of two Fucus vesiculosus extracts. J Agric Food Chem, 56, 7773-80. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf8007053
- Zhang Z, Zhang P, Hamada M (2008). Potential chemoprevention effect of dietary fucoxanthin on urinary bladder cancer EJ-1 cell line. Oncol Rep, 20, 1099-103.
- Fucoxanthin: A Marine Carotenoid Exerting Anti-Cancer Effects by Affecting Multiple Mechanisms vol.11, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3390/md11125130
- Cytotoxic Activity of Biosynthesized Gold Nanoparticles with an Extract of the Red Seaweed Corallina officinalis on the MCF-7 Human Breast Cancer Cell Line vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4311
- Cancer Chemopreventive Effect of Spirogyra Neglecta (Hassall) Kützing on Diethylnitrosamine-Induced Hepatocarcinogenesis in Rats vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1611
- Extract of Saccharina japonica Induces Apoptosis companied by Cell Cycle Arrest and Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress in SK-Hep1 Human Hepatocellular Carcinoma Cells vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.2993
- Tenebrio molitor Larvae Inhibit Adipogenesis through AMPK and MAPKs Signaling in 3T3-L1 Adipocytes and Obesity in High-Fat Diet-Induced Obese Mice vol.18, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18030518
- Aldose reductase inhibitory activity studies of THERACURMIN pp.1478-6427, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/14786419.2017.1371165
- From Marine Origin to Therapeutics: The Antitumor Potential of Marine Algae-Derived Compounds vol.9, pp.1663-9812, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2018.00777
- Fucoxanthin Elicits Epigenetic Modifications, Nrf2 Activation and Blocking Transformation in Mouse Skin JB6 P+ Cells vol.20, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1208/s12248-018-0197-6