- Volume 14 Issue 2
Background: In the year 2010, it is estimated that nearly 0.36 million new cases and 0.19 million deaths with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma occurred. In India, among males, NHL incidence rates vary across the country which has encouraged us to conduct a case-control study to study risk factors. Materials and Methods: The present unmatched hospital-based case-control study conducted at Tata Memorial Hospital included subjects registered between the years 1997-99. There were 390 'lymphoma cases' and 1,383 'normal controls. Results: Data on age, tobacco habits, occupational history, dietary factors, tea, coffee were collected by the social investigators. Univariate and multivariate methods were applied for obtaining the odds ratios for risk factors. Conclusions: In the study, cigarette smoking (OR=2.0) and bidi smoking (OR=2.8), were associated with excess risk of lymphoma. Among the dietary items, only consumption of mutton showed 7.3-fold significant excess risk for lymphoma. Consumption of milk showed a 6-fold excess risk (OR=1.5); while coffee showed a 50% reduction in risk for lymphoma. Among occupational exposure, exposure to use of pesticides showed 3-fold excess risk for lymphoma.
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma;risk factors;case-control study;smoking;milk;coffee;red meat;India
- A't Mannetje A, Dryson E, Walls C, et al (2008). High risk occupations for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in New Zealand: case-control study. Occup Environ Med, 65, 354-63. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.2007.035014
- Adami J, Nyren O, Bergstrom R, et al (1998). Smoking and the risk of leukemia, lymphoma and multiple myeloma (Sweden). Cancer Causes Control, 9, 49-56. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008897203337
- Brown LM, Everett GD, Gibson R, et al (1992). Smoking and risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and multiple myeloma. Cancer Causes Control, 3, 49-55. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00051912
- Cavin C, Holzhaeuser D, Scharf G, et al (2002). Cafestol and kahweol, two coffee specific diterpenes with anticarcinogenic activity. Food Chem Toxicol, 40, 1155-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(02)00029-7
- Cantor KP, Blair A, Everett G, et al (1992). Pesticides and other agricultural risk factors for non-hodgkin's lymphoma among men in Iowa and Minnesota. Cancer Res, 52, 2447-55.
- Chang ET, Smedby KE, Zhang SM, et al (2005). Dietary factors and risk of non-hodgkin lymphoma in men and women. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers Prev, 14, 512-20. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-04-0451
- Chiu BC, Cerhan JR, Folsom AR, et al (1996). Diet and risk of non-hodgkin lymphoma in older women. JAMA, 275, 1315-21. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1996.03530410029029
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). GLOBOCAN 2008. Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 10 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- Franceschi S, Serraino D, Carbone A, Talamini R, La Vecchia C (1989). Dietary factors and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: a case-control study in the northeastern part of Italy. Nutr Cancer, 12, 333-41. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635588909514034
- Frankenfeld CL, Cerhan JR, Cozen W, et al (2008). Dietary flavonoid intake and non-Hodgkin lymphoma risk. Am J Clin Nutr, 87, 1439-45.
- Fritschi L, Benke G, Hughes AM, et al (2005). Occupational exposure to pesticides and risk of non-hodgkin's lymphoma. Am J Epidemiol, 162, 849-57. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwi292
- Fritschi L, Ambrosini GL, Kliewer EV, Johnson KC, Canadian Cancer Registries Epidemiologic Research Group (2004). Dietary fish intake and risk of leukaemia, multiple myeloma, and non-hodgkin lymphoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 13, 532-7.
- Hu J, La Vecchia C, DesMeules M, Negri E, Mery L (2008). Meat and fish consumption and cancer in Canada. Nutr Cancer, 60, 313-24. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635580701759724
- Kanda J, Matsuo K, Kawase T, et al (2009). Association of alcohol intake and smoking with malignant lymphoma risk in Japanese: a hospital-based case-control study at Aichi cancer center. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18, 2436-41. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-09-0050
- Lim U, Morton LM, Subar AF, et al (2007). Alcohol, smoking, and body size in relation to incident hodgkin's and non-hodgkin's lymphoma risk. Am J Epidemiol, 166, 697-08. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwm122
- McDuffie HH, Pahwa P, McLaughlin JR, et al (2001). Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and specific pesticide exposures in men: cross-Canada study of pesticides and health. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 10, 1155-63.
- Morton LM, Hartge P, Holford TR, et al (2005). Cigarette smoking and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a pooled analysis from the International Lymphoma Epidemiology Consortium (interlymph). Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 925-33. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-04-0693
- Morton LM, Zheng T, Holford TR, et al (2005). Alcohol consumption and risk of non-hodgkin lymphoma: a pooled analysis. Lancet Oncol, 6, 469-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(05)70214-X
- NCRP (2009) Two-year Report of the Population Based Cancer Registries- 2006-2008. National Cancer Registry Programme, Indian Council of Medical Research, Bangalore, India.
- NFHS (2007). International Institute for Population Science (IIPS) and Macro International. National Family Health Survey (NFHS-3), 2005-06: India: Volume I. Mumbai : IIPS.
- Purdue MP, Bassani DG, Klar NS, et al (2004). Dietary factors and risk of non-hodgkin lymphoma by histologic subtype: a case-control analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 13, 1665-76.
- Rohrmann S, Linseisen J, Jakobsen MU, et al (2011). Consumption of meat and dairy and lymphoma risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Int J Cancer, 128, 623-34. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25387
- Schollkopf C, Smedby KE, Hjalgrim H, et al (2005). Cigarette smoking and risk of non-hodgkin's lymphoma-a population-based case-control study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 1791-6. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-05-0077
- Tavani A, Negri E, Franceschi S, Talamini R, La Vecchia C (1994). Coffee consumption and risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Eur J Cancer Prev, 3, 351-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008469-199407000-00008
- Tavani A, Bertuccio P, Bosetti C, et al (2005). Dietary intake of calcium, vitamin D, phosphorus and the risk of prostate cancer. Eur Urol, 48, 27-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2005.03.023
- Tramacere I, Pelucchi C, Bonifazi M, et al (2012). Alcohol drinking and non-Hodgkin lymphoma risk: a systematic review and a meta-analysis. Ann Oncol, 23, 2791-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mds013
- Ward MH, Zahm SH, Weisenburger DD, et al (1994). Dietary factors and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in Nebraska (United States). Cancer Causes Control, 5, 422-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01694756
- Zheng T, Holford TR, Leaderer B, et al (2004). Diet and nutrient intakes and risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in Connecticut women. Am J Epidemiol, 159, 454-66. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwh067
- Additive Properties of Crude, Age Specific and Age Adjusted Rates for Cancer Incidence and Mortality vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5407
- A Model Approach to Calculate Cancer Prevalence from 5 Years Survival Data for Selected Cancer Sites in India - Part II vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5681
- Type Distribution of Lymphomas in Lebanon: Five-Year Single Institution Experience vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5825
- Critical Review on the Carcinogenic Potential of Pesticides Used in Korea vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.5999
- Increased Frequency of Micronuclei in Binucleated Lymphocytes among Occupationally Pesticide-exposed Populations: A Meta-analysis vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6955
- Prevention and Early Detection of Occupational Cancers - a View of Information Technology Solutions vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5607
- Changing Trends of Adult Lymphoma in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia - Comparison of Data Sources vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.2069
- Adult Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients: Experience from a Tertiary Care Cancer Centre in North East India vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2879
- Lack of association of poultry and eggs intake with risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a meta-analysis of observational studies vol.26, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12546
- Meat intake and non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a meta-analysis of observational studies vol.27, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-016-0745-2
- Coffee consumption and risk of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: evidence from the Italian multicentre case–control study vol.28, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-017-0909-8
- Pesticides: an update of human exposure and toxicity vol.91, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00204-016-1849-x
- Smokeless tobacco-associated cancers: A systematic review and meta-analysis of Indian studies vol.138, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.29884
- Dairy Product Consumption and Risk of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma: A Meta-Analysis vol.8, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8030120