- Volume 41 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Characterization of the Salmonella typhi Outer Membrane Protein C
- Toobak, Hoda (Department of Biology, Shahed University) ;
- Rasooli, Iraj (Department of Biology, Shahed University) ;
- Gargari, Seyed Latif Mousavi (Department of Biology, Shahed University) ;
- Jahangiri, Abolfazl (Applied Microbiology Research Center, Baqiyatollah Medical Sciences University) ;
- Nadoushan, Mohammadreza Jalali (School of Medicine, Shahed University) ;
- Owlia, Parviz (School of Medicine, Shahed University) ;
- Astaneh, Shakiba Darvish Alipour (Department of Biology, Shahed University)
- Received : 2012.07.17
- Accepted : 2013.01.04
- Published : 2013.03.28
Salmonella enterica serovar typhi, a Gram-negative food-borne pathogen, causes typhoid fever in humans. OmpC is an outer membrane porin of S. typhi expressed throughout the infection period. OmpC is potentially an attractive antigen for multivalent vaccines and diagnostic kit designs. In this study we combined in silico, in vitro and in vivo approaches to analyze various aspects of OmpC's antigenic properties. The conserved region, in addition to secondary and tertiary structures, and linear B cell epitopes, were predicted. A number of results obtained from in silico analyses were validated by experimental studies. OmpC was amplified, cloned and then expressed, with the recombinant protein then being purified. BALB/c mice were immunized by purified denatured OmpC. The titer of antibody was raised. Results of challenges with the pathogen revealed that the immunity is non-protective. Most of the theoretical and experimental results were in consensus. Introduced linear B cell epitopes can be employed for the design of diagnostic kits based on antigen-antibody interactions.
Typhoid;OmpC;Salmonella typhi;in silico;vaccine;diagnosis
- Arockiasamy, A. and S. Krishnaswamy. 1999. Crystallization of the immunodominant outer membrane protein OmpC; the frst protein crystals from Salmonella typhi, a human pathogen. FEBS Letters 453: 380-382. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(99)00746-2
- Bradford, M. 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72: 248-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(76)90527-3
- Fink, C. W. and W. E. Miller. 1962. The formation of macroglobullin antibodies.II.Studies on neonatal infants and older children. J. Clin. Invest. 41: 1422-1428. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI104597
- Gavin, K., Paterson and J. M. Duncan. 2010. Recent advances in the field of Salmonella typhi vaccines. Human Vaccines 6: 379-384. https://doi.org/10.4161/hv.6.5.10755
- Jahangiri, A., I. Rasooli, S. L. Mousavi Gargari, P. Owlia, M. R. Rahbar, J. Amani, and S. Khalili. 2011. An in silico DNA vaccine against Listeria monocytogenes. Vaccine 29: 6948- 6958. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2011.07.040
- Kameswara Rao, V., G. P. Rai, G. S. Agarwal, and S. Suresh. 2005. Amperometric immunosensor for detection of antibodies of Salmonella typhi in patient serum. Analytica Chimica Acta 531: 173-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2004.10.015
- Kumar, S., P. Ray, H. Singh, and N. K. Ganguli. 2001. Immunogenicity and protective role of an IgA reactive 31-kDaantigen of Vibrio cholerae O139. J. Med. Microbiol. 50: 489-498.
- Larrie Baghal, S. M., S. L. Mousavi Gargari, and I. Rasooli. 2010. Production and immunogenicity of recombinant ferric enterobactin protein (FepA). International Journal of Infectious Diseases 14: 166-170.
- LoSpalluto, J., W. Miller, and Fink, C. W. 1962. The formation of macroglobullin antibodies.I.Studies on adults humans. J. Clin. Invest. 41: 1415-1421. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI104596
- Mastroeni, P. and J. A. Chabalgoity. 2000. Salmonella: Immune Responses and Vaccines Review. The Veterinary Journal. 161: 132-164.
- Nandakumar, K. S. and V. Palanivel. 1993. Diagnosis of typhoid fever:detection of Salmonella typhi porins-specific antibodies by inhibition ELISA. Clin Exp Immunol. 94: 317-321.
- Nikaido, H. 1983. Proteins forming large channels from bacterial and mitochondrial outer membranes: Porins and phage lambda receptor protein. Methods Enzymol. 97: 85-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/0076-6879(83)97122-7
- Nikaido, H. 1994. Porins and specific diffusion channels in bacterial outer membranes. Biol. Chem. 269: 3908-3905.
- Paliwal, P. K. and A. Bansal. 2011. Intraperitoneal immunization of recombinant HSP70 (DnaK) of Salmonella typhi induces a predominant Th2 response and protective immunity in mice againstlethal Salmonella infection. Vaccine 29: 6532- 6539. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2011.07.005
- Paliwal, P. K., A. Bansal, and S. K. Sagi. 2008. Cloning, expression and characterization of heat shock protein 60 (groEL) of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi and its role in protective immunity against lethal Salmonella infectionin mice. Clinical Immunology 126: 89-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clim.2007.09.004
- Peng, W., Q. Hou, H. Xia, D. Chen, N. Li, Y. Sun, and H. Qiu. 2008. Identifcation of a conserved linear B-cell epitope at the N-terminus of the E2 glycoprotein of classical swine fever virus by phage-displayed random peptide library. Virus Research 135: 267-272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2008.04.003
- Rahbar, M. R., I. Rasooli, S. L. MousaviGargari, J. Amani, and Y. Fattahian. 2010. In silico analysis of antibody triggering bioflm associated protein in Acinetobacter baumannii. J. Theor. Biol. 266: 275-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtbi.2010.06.014
- Schirmer T, R. J. 1991. Prokaryotic and eukaryotic porins. Current Opinion in Structural. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 1: 54-539.
- Secundino, I., C. Lopez-Macias, L. Cervantes-Barragan, and C. GilCruz. 2006. Salmonellaporins induce a sustained, lifelong specific bactericidal antibodymomory response. Immunology 117: 59-70. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2567.2005.02263.x
- Sun, E. C., J. N. Ma, N. H. Liu, and T. Yang. 2011. Identification of two linear B-cell epitopes from West Nile virus NS1 by screening a phage-displayed random peptide library. BMC Microbiology 11: 160-171. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2180-11-160
- Sundara Baalaji, N., M. K. Mathew, and S. Krishnaswamy. 2006. Functional assay of Salmonella typhi OmpC using reconstituted large unilamellar vesicles: a general method for characterization of outer membrane proteins. Biochimie 88: 1419-1424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biochi.2006.05.010
- Vanniasinkam, T., M. D. Barton, and M. W. Heuzenroeder. 2001. B-Cell Epitope mapping of the VapA Protein of Rhodococcus equi : Implications for Early Detection of R. equi Disease in Foals. J. Clin. Microbiol. 39: 1633-1637. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.39.4.1633-1637.2001
- Verma, S. K. and G. Vandana. 2009. Overexpression, purification, and immunogenicity of recombinant porin proteins of Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhi (S. Typhi). Microbiol. Biotechnol. 19: 1034-1040. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.0812.675