- Volume 34 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Patterns of Barotropic Vortex in a Rotating Fluid and the Structural Rotation of Tripolar Vortex
회전하는 수조에서 나타나는 순압성 소용돌이의 패턴과 트라이폴라 소용돌이의 구조적 회전
- Kwon, Hyeok Min (Gyeonggi Science High School for the Gifted) ;
- Oh, Young Lok (Gyeonggi Science High School for the Gifted) ;
- Kim, Tae Yeon (Gyeonggi Science High School for the Gifted)
- Received : 2013.03.21
- Accepted : 2013.05.03
- Published : 2013.06.30
In this study, the patterns of barotropic vortices and their structural rotation were investigated through laboratory experiments. Both stable and unstable barotropic vortices were formed in a rotating water tank with a rotating circular plate depending on the diameter, direction, and speed of rotating circular plate. The patterns of stable vortices turned out to be tripolar, triangular, rectangular, and monopolar vortex. These vortex patterns were affected by the gap between the circular plate and the wall of the water tank. Many unstable vortices were formed by anticyclonically and highly rotating circular plate. These results were caused by the centrifugal instability. The structural angular velocity of the tripolar vortex increased with the tangential velocity of the circular plate. The anticyclonic tripolar vortex had higher structural angular velocity than the cyclonic vortex. The tripolar vortex in the water tank was very similar with the real oceanic tripolar vortex from the view point of the Rossby number and the structural rotation.
- Beckers, M. and Heijst, G.J.F. van, 1998, The observation of a triangular vortex in a rotating fluid, Fluid dynamics research, 22, 265-279. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5983(97)00039-7
- Carnevale, G.F. and Kloosterziel, R.C., 1994, Emergence and evolution of triangular vortices, Journal of fluid mechanics, 259, 305-331. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112094000157
- Flierl, G.R., 1988, On the instability of geostrophic vortices, Journal of fluid mechanics, 197, 349-388. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112088003283
- Flor, J.B. and Heijst, G.J.F. van, 1996, Stable and unstable monopolar vortices in a stratified fluid, Journal of fluid mechanics, 311, 257-287. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112096002595
- Heijst, G.J.F. van and Clercx, H.J.H., 2009, Laboratory modeling of geophysical vortices, Annual reviews of fluid mechanics, 41, 143-164. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.fluid.010908.165207
- Heijst, G.J.F. van and Kloosterziel, R.C., 1989, Tripolar vortices in a rotating fluid, Nature, 338, 569-571. https://doi.org/10.1038/338569a0
- Heijst, G.J.F. van, Kloosterziel, R.C., and Williams, C.W.M., 1991, Laboratory experiments on the tripolar vortex in a rotating fluid, Journal of fluid mechanics, 225, 302-331.
- Holton, J.R., 2004, An introduction to dynamic meteorology, Academic Press, USA, 535 p.
- Jang, S.H., Shin, J.S., and Moon, B.K., 2010, Development of apparatus and methods for understanding the dynamics of the western boundary current, Journal of korean earth science society, 31, 88-94. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2010.31.1.088
- Kloosterziel, R.C. and Heijst, G.J.F. van, 1991, An experimental study of unstable barotropic vortices in a rotating fluid, Journal of fluid mechanics, 223, 1-24. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112091001301
- Lee, S.H., Park, G.S., and Kim, H.S., 2006, Development of a set of an experimental equipment of westerly wave for high school, Journal of korean earth science society, 27, 177-187. (in Korean)
- Marshall, J. and Plumb, R.A., 2008, Atmosphere, ocean, and climate dynamics: An introductory text, Academic Press, China, 319 p.
- Niino, H. and Misawa, N., 1984, An experimental and theoretical study of barotropic instability, Journal of the atmospheric sciences, 41, 1992-2011. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0469(1984)041<1992:AEATSO>2.0.CO;2
- Olson, D.B., 1991, Rings in the ocean, Annual reviews of earth and planetary sciences, 19, 283-311. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ea.19.050191.001435
- Orlandi, P. and Heijst, G.J.F. van, 1992, Numerical simulation of tripolar vortices in 2D flow, Fluid dynamics research, 9, 179-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-5983(92)90004-G
- Pingree, R.D. and Cann, B. le, 1992, Three anticyclonic slope water oceanic eDDIES (SWODDIES) in the southern bay of Biscay in 1990, Deep-sea research, 39, 1147-1175. https://doi.org/10.1016/0198-0149(92)90062-X
- Wie, J.E, Jang, S.H., and Moon, B.K., 2012, Development of an experimental method for understanding the effect of the Coriolis force on the typhoon genesis and its movement, Journal of korean earth science society, 33, 544-553. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2012.33.6.544