- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of the family dentist system on oral health status of children and adolescents in Busan, Korea
치과주치의 사업이 아동·청소년의 구강건강에 미친 변화: 부산지역을 중심으로
- Received : 2013.02.04
- Accepted : 2013.06.12
- Published : 2013.06.30
Objectives : The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of the family dentist system on oral health status of children and adolescents of Community Children's Centers in Busan, Korea. Methods : The subjects of this study were 81 children and adolescents, 6 to 14 years old, using Community Children's Centers. The oral health survey was conducted on the subjects from the starting stage of family dentist program in 2009 to the evaluation stage in 2010. Dental health status was examined by a trained dentist according to the guideline proposed by the World Health Organization. In addition, the information on the oral health knowledge, belief, and process of dental care were obtained using questionnaires. Data were analyzed using the paired samples t-test. Results : Percentages of subjects with fissure sealants on permanent teeth and filling rate among DMF teeth of 2010 year were higher than those of 2009 year (P<0.05). However, the rate of decayed teeth among DMF teeth of 2010 year was lower than those of 2009 year (p=0.049). Conclusions : These findings showed that the family dentist system brought a positive effect on caries prevention and proper dental care of children and adolescents of the Community Children's Centers.
community children's center;family dentist system;oral health knowledge;oral health belief
- Lee DJ, Seo MS, Cheon KS, Oh MG, Joo SS, Kim MR et al. Actual state of medical phone counsel and difference of expectation and recognition between doctor and patient in local clinic. Korean J Fam Med 2001; 22: 1779-86.
- Bong SW, Kim TH, Kim SS, Kim YS. An interview survey on opinions concerning the necessity for family doctor registration program and its major services. Korean J Fam Med 2006; 27:370-5.
- Seo HG, Kang JH, Kim CH, Kim SW. A telephone survey on the opinions about family doctor. Korean J Prev Med 1998; 31:310-22.
- Cho HJ, Shim JY, Lee HR, Lee SH, What do Korean people think of family doctor registration program? Korean J Fam Med 2002; 23: 171-8.
- Lee B. Family registration program. Korean J Fam Med 1999; 20:1623-30.
- Lee HR, Jung ES, Mun YS, Lee DC, Shim JY. The effect of family registration program. Korean J Fam Med 1996; 17: 761-74.
- Kang JH, Seon US. A telephone survey on the health promotion behavior and the recognition status of health promotion and lifelong health maintenance program in Seoul. Korean J Fam Med 1996; 17: 305-18.
- Moon OR. The definition of primary health care and primary health care competence primary health care competence and the role of family medicine. Korean J Fam Med 1996; 17: 721-34.
- Lee YS. A study on the degree of satisfaction toward the family doctor system on registrants for the department of family medicine. Korean J Fam Med 2004; 10: 455-73.
- Bak GG. National health insurance coverage in the dental scaling[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Korea University, 2006.
- Yun SH. The actual condition for using oral clinics by disabled children according to the parents' social and economic situations[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Chung-Ang, 2009.
- Jung SH, Kim YN, Kim YJ, Kim CS, RU JI. Basic research for the introduction of family dentist system for children and adolescents(1). Seoul: Book publication Gunchi; 2010: 1-14.
- Jung SH, New Dental Public Health. Seoul: KMS; 2012: 323-9.
- Lee KH, Kim JY, Song JH, Kim YH, Im RU, Jeong SY. Present state and prospect of public dental health service for children and adolescents in Korea. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2008; 35:578-88.
- Chang KW, Kim JB. Basic methods of oral health surveys recommended by World Health Organization. Seoul: KMS; 2007:38-65.
- Jung YS, Kim SK. Relevant on oral health, oral health beliefs and practices of dental care in some elementary students. J Korean Soc Den Hyg 2011; 11: 985-92.
- Ji MG. A study on middle school students' oral health belief and oral health practice. J Korean Soc Den Hyg 2008; 8: 165-80.
- The relationship between breastfeeding and early childhood caries vol.14, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.571