- Volume 13 Issue 3
Objectives : The objectives of this study is to investigate the handwashing and use of personal protection equipment in dental hygienists and provide the basic data for dental infection control guideline. Methods : A questionnaire survey was performed in the dental hygienists who participated in the continuing education by the Daejeon City Commission in October 2012. The collected data were analyzed using PASW 18.0. Results : Handwashing was well practiced in group working for 3 to 5 years of employment. Those who took the infection cnotrol training used liquid soap, paper towel, dental mask, protective goggles, face shield, and gloves. Conclusions : Infection control is the most important practice in dental hygienists. So it is necessary to emphasize the inportnace of personal protection equipment including medical gloves, dental mask, and goggles.
dental hygienist;dental infection control;hand washing;personal protective equipment
- Moon SE, Lee DD, Kwon HK, Kim KJ. Analysis of infection types on Stapylococcus aureus in dental office. J Korean Assoc Maxillofac Plast Reconstr Surg 2003; 25: 25-32.
- The Ministry of Health and Welfare. Oral health team: Dental treatment in performance of infection control standard. Seoul: The Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2006: 1-3.
- Choi HN, Bae HS, Cho YS. Review: Literature review of dental infection control in Korea(1988-2009). J Dent Hyg Sci 2010; 10:199-209.
- Bae SS, Lee MS. Study on elements for effective infection control at dental hospitals. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11: 557-69.
- Molinari JA. Infection control. It's evolution to the current standard precautions. J Am Dent Assoc 2003; 134: 567-74.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC). Exposure to blood: What healthcare personnal need to know. Department of Health & Human Services[Internet]. [cited 2003 July]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/organisms/hiv/hiv.html
- The American Occupational Safety and Health Administration( OSHA). Infection control in physician's offices: Academy of pediatrics; 2000: 1361-9.
- Eun JH, Bae JY. Investigation about the actual prevention of infection and vaccination against B-type Hepatitis among dental workers in Daegu. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2005; 5: 219-33.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC). Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report[Internet]. [cited 2002 October 25]. Available from:http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5116a1.htm
- Choi JY, Park HS, Sim SH, Kim JS, Choi BK, Jang HK. A study on affect factors in dental infection control, Focus on wash hand and put gloves on of a dental step. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009; 9:35-41.
- Jeong MK, Lee IY, Kang OJ. A study on the knowledge and attitude of dental hygienists for infection control in dental clinic. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10: 935-45.
- Kang JK, Kim ES, Kim KM. Study on the infection control and dental waste disposal in dental clinic located in Seoul City. J Dent Hyg Sci 2002; 2: 105-13.
- Kim KM, Jung JY, Hwang YS. A study on the state of infection control in dental clinic. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2007; 7:213-30.
- Kang JK, Kim ES, Kim KM. Study on the infection control and dental waste disposal in the dental clinic located in Seoul city. J Dent Hyg Sci 2002; 2: 105-13.
- Nam YS, Yoo JS, Park MS. A study on actual conditions for prevention of infections by dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007; 7: 1-7.
- Woo SH, Joo VJ. A study on personal protection equipment for infection control at dental offices. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10: 459-64.
- Park HS, Choi JY, Sim SH. A study on practice of infection control by dental hygienists-with reference to Seoul and Incheon․Gyeonggi Province. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008; 8: 275-81.
- Nam SM. A study on infection control practices by dental hygienists, Sahmyook Health University. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11: 135-46.
- Ryu MH. Cross-infection in dental clinic and infection control. J Namseoul Univ 2005; 11: 157-72.
- Kim CH, Jang HK. Investigation of infection prevention by dental hygienist's personal protection. J Dent Hyg Sci 2005; 5:63-70.
- Kim JH, Kim JK. Infection control among dental hygienists according to infection control education experiences. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11: 547-56.
- Kim MJ, Kim JS, Um SJ. Universal precaution practice and hindrance factors of medical workers in a university hospital concerning blood-mediated disease. Clinical Nursing Research 2003; 9: 41-54.
- Bacteria reduction ratio by cleansing methods of latex gloves vol.14, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.593
- Awareness and practice of dental unit waterline management in dental hygienist vol.16, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.04.507
- Factors affecting practice of infectious wastes management of dental professionals vol.42, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2018.42.4.175