- Volume 23 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Acai Berry Ethanolic Extracts on Production of Nitric Oxide and Activity of Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Related to Blood Circulation
혈액순환과 관련하여 nitric oxide 생성과 angiotensin converting enzyme 활성에 미치는 Acai berry 에탄올 추출물의 영향
- Nam, Hyang (Department of Chemistry, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Lee, Su-Gyeong (Department of Chemistry, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Kim, Deok Won (Department of Clinical Laboratory Science, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Kim, Joo Wan (Bioport Korea Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Ki Young (Bioport Korea Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Sung Goo (Bioport Korea Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Moon-Moo (Department of Chemistry, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Chung, Kyung Tae (Department of Clinical Laboratory Science, Dong-Eui University)
- 남향 (동의대학교 화학과) ;
- 이수경 (동의대학교 화학과) ;
- 김덕원 (동의대학교 임상병리학과) ;
- 김성구 ((주)바이오포트코리아) ;
- 김기영 ((주)바이오포트코리아) ;
- 김주완 ((주)바이오포트코리아) ;
- 김문무 (동의대학교 화학과) ;
- 정경태 (동의대학교 임상병리학과)
- Received : 2013.05.19
- Accepted : 2013.06.21
- Published : 2013.06.30
The aim of this study is to develop a supplementary therapeutic agent capable of promoting vascular circulation. The effects of Acai berry ethanolic extracts (ABEE) on activity of angiotensin converting enzyme from rabbit lung, production of nitro oxide in both murine macrophage cells and vascular endothelial cells as well as antioxidant effects were investigated in this study. First of all, it was observed the direct effects of ABEE on reducing power and antioxidant effect lipid peroxidation. In addition, ABEE showed a protective effect on DNA oxidation induced by hydroxyl radical. Furthermore, ABEE at 0.01% exerted approximately 50% inhibition on activity of angiotensin converting enzyme. ABEE increased the production of nitric oxide in endothelial cells, but decreased the induction of nitric oxide stimulated by lipopolysaccharide in microphage. The expression levels of superoxide dismutase (SOD)-2 and -3 were enhanced by ABEE treatment, however, the expression level of SOD-1 remained constant. Moreover, the expression level of nitric oxide synthases-1 (NOS-1), a constitutive enzyme, was increased by ABEE, but that of NOS-2, a inducible enzyme, was constant. It was also found that the level of Nrf-2, a transcription factor of SOD, was increased by ABEE. Therefore, these results demonstrate that ABEE could promote blood circulation via above actions, suggesting that may be helpful for health of blood vessel.
- Actis-Goretta, L., Ottaviani, J. I., Keen, C. L. and Fraga, C. G. 2003. Inhibition of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) activity by flavan-3-ols and procyanidins. FEBS Lett 555, 597-600. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(03)01355-3
- Aliev, G., Obrenovich, M. E., Tabrez, S., Jabir, N. R., Reddy, P., Li, Y., Burnstock, G., Cacabelos, R. and Kamal, M. A. 2013. Link between cancer and Alzheimer disease via oxidative stress induced by nitric oxide-dependent mitochondrial DNA overproliferation and deletion. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2013, 1-19.
- Apel, K. and Hirt, H. 2004. Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, oxidative stress, and signal transduction. Annu Rev Plant Biol 55, 373-399. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.arplant.55.031903.141701
- Bigler, D., Dirkes, W., Hansen, R., Rosenberg, J. and Kehlet, H. 1989. Effects of thoracic paravertebral block with bupivacaine versus combined thoracic epidural block with bupivacaine and morphine on pain and pulmonary function after cholecystectomy. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 33, 561-564. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-6576.1989.tb02966.x
- Brune, B., Zhou, J. and Von Knethen, A. 2003. Nitric oxide, oxidative stress, and apoptosis. Kidney In 63, S22-S24.
- Claria, J. 2003. Cyclooxygenase-2 biology. Curr Pharm Des 9, 2177-2190. https://doi.org/10.2174/1381612033454054
- Davies, K., Delsignore, M. and Lin, S. 1987. Protein damage and degradation by oxygen radicals. II. Modification of amino acids. J Biol Chem 262, 9902-9907.
- Douglas, J., Aguilera, G., Kondo, T. and Catt, K. 1978. Angiotensin II receptors and aldosterone production in rat adrenal glomerulosa cells. Endocrinology 102, 685-696. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-102-3-685
- Dzau, V. J. 2001. Tissue angiotensin and pathobiology of vascular disease a unifying hypothesis. Hypertension 37, 1047-1052. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.37.4.1047
- Fantone, J. C. and Ward, P. 1982. Role of oxygen-derived free radicals and metabolites in leukocyte-dependent inflammatory reactions. Am J Pathol 107, 395–418.
- Hansen, M. B., Nielsen, S. E. and Berg, K. 1989. Re-examination and further development of a precise and rapid dye method for measuring cell growth/cell kill. J Immunol Methods 119, 203-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(89)90397-9
- Kang, S. J., You, A. and Kwak, M. K. 2011. Suppression of Nrf2 signaling by angiotensin II in murine renal epithelial cells. Arch Pharm Res 34, 829-836. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12272-011-0517-1
- Kong, J.-M., Chia, L.-S., Goh, N.-K., Chia, T.-F. and Brouillard, R. 2003. Analysis and biological activities of anthocyanins. Phytochemistry 64, 923-933. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(03)00438-2
- Li, B., Xu, X., Wang, X., Yu, H., Li, X., Tao, W., Wang, Y. and Yang, L. 2012. A Systems Biology Approach to Understanding the Mechanisms of Action of Chinese Herbs for Treatment of Cardiovascular Disease. Inter J Mol Sci 13, 13501-13520. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms131013501
- Mayer, B. and Hemmens, B. 1997. Biosynthesis and action of nitric oxide in mammalian cells. Trends Biochem Sci 22, 477-481. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0968-0004(97)01147-X
- Mertens-Talcott, S. U., Rios, J., Jilma-Stohlawetz, P., Pacheco-Palencia, L. A., Meibohm, B., Talcott, S. T. and Derendorf, H. 2008. Pharmacokinetics of anthocyanins and antioxidant effects after the consumption of anthocyanin- rich acai juice and pulp (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) in human healthy volunteers. J Agric Food Chem 56, 7796-7802. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf8007037
- Milne, L., Nicotera, P., Orrenius, S. and Burkitt, M. 1993. Effects of glutathione and chelating agents on copper-mediated DNA oxidation: pro-oxidant and antioxidant properties of glutathione. Arch Biochem Biophys 304, 102-109. https://doi.org/10.1006/abbi.1993.1327
- Murphey, L., Vaughan, D. and Brown, N. 2003. Contribution of bradykinin to the cardioprotective effects of ACE inhibitors. Eur Heart J Suppl 5, A37-A41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1520-765X(03)90062-9
- Oyaizu, M. 1986. Studies on products of the browning reaction. Antioxidative activities of browning reaction products prepared from glucosamine. Jpn J Nut [Eiyogaku Zasshi] 44, 307-315. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.44.307
- Pham-Huy, L. A., He, H. and Pham-Huy, C. 2008. Free radicals, antioxidants in disease and health. Int J Biomed Sci 4, 89-96.
- Schauss, A. G., Wu, X., Prior, R. L., Ou, B., Huang, D., Owens, J., Agarwal, A., Jensen, G. S., Hart, A. N. and Shanbrom, E. 2006. Antioxidant capacity and other bioactivities of the freeze-dried Amazonian palm berry, Euterpe oleraceae mart.(acai). J Agric Food Chem 54, 8604-8610. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0609779
- Schauss, A. G., Wu, X., Prior, R. L., Ou, B., Patel, D., Huang, D. and Kababick, J. P. 2006. Phytochemical and nutrient composition of the freeze-dried Amazonian palm berry, Euterpe oleraceae Mart (Acai). J Agric Food Chem 54, 8598-8603 https://doi.org/10.1021/jf060976g
- Schreckinger, M. E., Lotton, J., Lila, M. A. and de Mejia, E. G. 2010. Berries from South America: A comprehensive review on chemistry, health potential, and commercialization. J Med Food 13, 233-246. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2009.0233
- Seeram, N. P. 2008. Berry fruits for cancer prevention: cur rent status and future prospects. J Agric Food Chem 56, 630-635. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf072504n
- Tang, Z. X., Shi, L. E. and Aleid, S. M. 2013. Date fruit: Chemical compositions, nutritional and medicinal values, products. J Sci Food Agric 10, 2351-2361.
- Thomsen, L. L., Lawton, F. G., Knowles, R. G., Beesley, J. E., Riveros-Moreno, V. and Moncada, S. 1994. Nitric oxide synthase activity in human gynecological cancer. Cancer Res 54, 1352-1354.
- Unger, T. 2002. The role of the renin-angiotensin system in the development of cardiovascular disease. Am J Cardiol 89, 3-9.
- Wang, L.-S. and Stoner, G. D. 2008. Anthocyanins and their role in cancer prevention. Cancer Lett 269, 281-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2008.05.020
- Wijesekara, I. and Kim, S. -K. 2010. Angiotensin-I-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors from marine resources: prospects in the pharmaceutical industry. Marine Drugs 8, 1080-1093. https://doi.org/10.3390/md8041080
- Yuan, G., Wahlqvist, M. L., He, G., Yang, M. and Li, D. 2006. Natural products and anti-inflammatory activity. Asia Pacific J Clin Nut 15, 143-152.
- Quality Characteristics of Sikhye made with Berries vol.25, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2015.12.25.6.1007