- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Sustainability Assessment of the Rainwater Harvesting System for Drinking Water Supply: A Case Study of Cukhe Village, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Nguyen, Duc Canh (Department of Civil & Environment Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Dao, Anh Dung (Department of Civil & Environment Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Tschung-Il (Department of Civil & Environment Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Han, Mooyoung (Department of Civil & Environment Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2012.11.08
- Accepted : 2013.04.24
- Published : 2013.06.28
In Cukhe, a village located in the outskirts of Hanoi, Vietnam, people suffer from a shortage of high-quality water due to an arsenic contaminated supply water resource. We installed catchments, filters and settled tanks in the existing rainwater harvesting facility to improve water quality, and ten portable rainwater tanks to provide good-quality drinking water to the poor households and kindergartens in the dry season. The triple bottom line considerations, as well as the environmental, economic, and social impacts of the rainwater harvesting (RWH) systems are examined. RWH is a sustainable method to obtain good-quality drinking water at low cost and with little energy expenditure. Education of the system also encourages that continuation of the system and expansion can lead into economic prosperity, as the safe drinking water can be sold to the community. Hence, RWH is a unique proposal as sustainable drinking supply water for improving the lives and health of residents in Cukhe and other sites where water supply sources are contaminated.
Drinking water;Rainwater harvesting;Water supply
- National Center for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting [Internet]. Ha Noi: National Center for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting; c2008 [cited 2013 May 1]. Available from: http://www.nchmf.gov.vn/web/en-US/43/Default.aspx.
- Water Environment Partnership in Asia. Nhue: to Lich river basin [Internet]. Tokyo: Water Environmental Partnership in Asia, Ministry of the Environment of Japan; c2013 [cited 2013 May 1]. Available from: http://www.wepa-db.net/policies/cases/nhue_to_lich/03.htm.
- Berg M, Tran HC, Nguyen TC, Pham HV, Schertenleib R, Giger W. Arsenic contamination of groundwater and drinking water in Vietnam: a human health threat. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2001;35:2621-2626. https://doi.org/10.1021/es010027y
- World Health Organization. Guidelines for drinking-water quality. 3rd ed. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008.
- 3P Technik Filtersysteme GmbH [Internet]. Donzdorf: 3P Technik Filtersysteme GmbH; c2012 [cited 2013 May 1]. Available from: http://www.3ptechnik.com/4-1-Home.html.
- Rainwater: Drain? or Collect?, That Is the Question pp.2005-968X, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2013.18.2.055
- An Optimization Approach for Assessing the Reliability of Rainwater Harvesting vol.31, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-017-1630-9
- Rainfall-Storage-Utilization-Discharge model for flood mitigation and water conservation vol.18, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.2166/ws.2017.184
- Optimal rainwater tank design for control of particulate contaminants vol.19, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.2166/ws.2018.103