- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effect of a Rainwater Education Program on South Korean Students' Awareness and Attitudes
- Seo, Eun-Jung (Graduate School of Interdisciplinary Program in Environmental Education, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Tae-Yeon (Graduate School of Interdisciplinary Program in Environmental Education, Seoul National University) ;
- Kang, Tae-Ho (Graduate School of Interdisciplinary Program in Environmental Education, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2012.07.20
- Accepted : 2013.04.24
- Published : 2013.06.28
Recently, rainwater has come to the forefront as an alternative resource contributing to solving various environmental problems, especially those related to water. However, more or less biased perspectives on rainwater as a pollutant, mainly derived from acid rain, have still been pervasive in public as well as research communities. Considering the significance of rain harvesting in recent society, it is necessary to promote educational efforts to overcome such social prejudices and improve desired values towards rainwater. Thus, this research attempted to develop a teaching-learning program focusing on the theme of rainwater for high school students in Korea. To verify the effectiveness of the program, one group pre/post testing was conducted with 57 students participating in the courses. According to the survey, students show significant differences in both awareness and attitude towards rainwater as well as water after the courses. In conclusion, this study has an implication on developing an effective educational way to improve students' positive recognitions and attitudes regarding rainwater-related issues. Such an educational effort might contribute to sharing the worthiness of preserving rainwater with the future generation and promoting rainwater harvesting within wider public participation.
Awareness and attitude;Environmental education;Rainwater;Value analysis
- Yong WS. Experience-centered educational program development for expanding middle school students recognition for using rainwater [dissertation]. Cheongwon: Korea National University of Education; 2007.
- McColl JG, Johnson R. Effects of simulated acid rain on germination and early growth of Douglas-fir and ponderosa pine. Plant Soil 1983;74:125-129. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02178747
- Wood T, Bormann FH. Short-term effects of a simulated acid rain upon the growth and nutrient relations of Pinus strobus, L. Water Air Soil Pollut. 1977;7:479-488.
- Park SH. Exploration of decision-making models for solving value conflicts in social education. Res. Soc. Stud. Educ. 1998;5:133-168.
- Metcalf LE. Values education: rationale, strategies, and procedures. Washington, DC: National Council for the Social Studies; 1971.
- Caduto MJ. A guide on environmental values education. Paris: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization; 1985.
- Cho, YG. The development of a teaching-learning model for environmental ethics education through value analytic approach. J. Educ. Res. 2009;30:19-39.
- Miles JC. The study of values in environmental education. J. Environ. Educ. 1978;9:165-174.
- Nordlund AM, Garvill J. Effects of values, problem awareness, and personal norm on willingness to reduce personal car use. J. Environ. Psychol. 2003;23:339-347. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-4944(03)00037-9
- Stern PC. New environmental theories: toward a coherent theory of environmentally significant behavior. J. Soc. Issues 2000;56:407-424. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-4537.00175
- Stern PC, Dietz T. The value bases of environmental concern. J. Soc. Issues 1994:50:65-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1994.tb02420.x
- Schultz PW, Zelezny L. Values as predictors of environmental attitudes: evidence for consistency across 14 countries. J. Environ. Psychol. 1999;19:255-265. https://doi.org/10.1006/jevp.1999.0129
- Joy EH 2nd, Garcia FE. Measuring learning effectiveness: a new look at no-significant-difference findings. J. Asynchron. Learn. Netw. 2000;4:33-39.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. Intergovernmental conference on environmental education. Paris: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization; 1978.
- So KH, Park KS, Bae JH, et al. A development and application of the environmental education program using animation on water for elementary school students. J. Korean Soc. Environ. Educ. 2010;23:64-74.
- Peterson RA. A meta-analysis of Cronbach's coefficient alpha. J. Consum. Res. 1994;21:381-391. https://doi.org/10.1086/209405
- Angelakis AN, Bontoux L. Wastewater reclamation and reuse in Eureau countries. Water Policy 2001;3:47-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1366-7017(00)00028-3
- Adams CM, Dengler NG, Hutchinson TC. Acid rain effects on foliar histology of Artemisia tilesii. Can. J. Bot. 1984;62:463-474. https://doi.org/10.1139/b84-070
- Likens GE, Bormann FH. Acid rain: a serious regional environmental problem. Science 1974;184:1176-1179. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.184.4142.1176
- Tveite B, Abrahamsen G, Stuanes AO. Liming and wet acid deposition effects on tree growth and nutrition: experimental results. Water Air Soil Pollut. 1990;54:409-422.
- Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development. The 7th high school curriculum. Seoul: Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development; 1997.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. The revised 2007 high school curriculum. Seoul: Ministry of Education, Science and Technology; 2007.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. The revised 2009 high school curriculum. Seoul: Ministry of Education, Science and Technology; 2009.
- Jensen BB, Schnack K. The Action Competence Approach in Environmental Education. Environ. Educ. Res. 1997;3:163-178. https://doi.org/10.1080/1350462970030205
- Yoon YT. Middle school textbook of Korean language 2-1. Seoul: Miraen; 2010.
- Min HY. The scheme for practical application of the rainwater utilization system introduced in education facilities [dissertation]. Seoul: Sungkyunkwan University; 2009.
- Ministry of Environment. 2009 Statistics of waterworks: statistical data of rainwater facility. Gwacheon: Ministry of Environment; 2010.
- Kwon HJ. The study on the effect of environmental education using rainwater system on the awareness and attitude of high school students to water environment [dissertation]. Gongju: Kongju National University; 2005.
- Lee JM, Lee DG. Environmental values of rainwater using. In: Proceedings of the 36th Annual Seminar of the Korean Society for Environmental Education; 2011 Dec 10; Seoul, Korea. p. 75-78.
- United Nations Environmental Programme-Seoul National University Rainwater Research Center. Innovative education program through rainwater harvesting. Seoul: United Nations Environmental Programme-Seoul National University Rainwater Research Center; 2004.
- Rainwater: Drain? or Collect?, That Is the Question pp.2005-968X, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2013.18.2.055