- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Control of the Sediment in a Combined Sewer Using a Separation Wall
- Lim, Bong Su (Department of Environmental Engineering, Daejeon University) ;
- Kwon, Chung Jin (Department of Environmental Engineering, Daejeon University) ;
- Kim, Do Young (Department of Environmental Engineering, Daejeon University) ;
- Lee, Kuang Chun (Hyupsin Enterprise Co., Ltd.)
- Received : 2012.07.18
- Accepted : 2013.04.24
- Published : 2013.06.28
This study is to evaluate the effects of the separation wall on the sediment quality and quantity in a combined sewer, by surveying the sewer overflow and sediments during a rainfall. Since the separation wall installed in the combined sewer separates the rainfall and the sewage, the flow rate of the sewage is increased, and the amount of the sediment deposited on the sewer is decreased. One sampling point was the outfall of Daesacheon with a separation wall, and the other was the outfall of Gwaryecheon without a separation wall, in Daejeon metropolitan city. The maximum control of the biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) overflow load was more than 38% in the Daesacheon point with the separation wall, during a rainfall of 0.11 mm/hr. The maximum control of the BOD overflow load was 24% in Gwaryecheon without a separation wall, during a rainfall of 1.0 mm/hr. According to the survey results of the sediment in the sewer, the discharged sediment deposited on the sewer in Gwaryecheon point was about 23% to 28% of the total suspended solid during the rainfall. In addition, the average velocity of sewage in the presence of sediment was about 0.30 m/s, and if the separation wall is installed, it was expected to be about 1.01 m/s, that is 3.4 times more than the same conditions, resulting in the reduction of the sediment deposit.
BOD overflow load;Combined sewer overflows;Sediments;Separation wall;Velocity of sewage
- Daejeon Metropolitan City. 2010 Statistical year book. Daejeon: Daejeon Metropolitan City; 2011.
- Lee D, Kim M. Characteristics of transformation process of wastewater in sewer. J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng. 2005;27:911-916.
- Korea Water and Wastewater Works Association. Facility standards of sewerage system. Seoul: Korea Water and Association Works Wastewater; 2011.
- Lim BS. Performance of first flush storage tank with separation wall for CSO control. Daejeon: Daejeon Green Environmental Center; 2011.
- Lim BS, Kim DY, Lee KC. Comparison of pollutant control in combined sewer overflows and separated sewer overflows using the separation wall. J. Korean Soc. Water. Qual. 2007;23:458-466.
- Ryu BR. Performance of first flush storage tank for combined sewer overflows. Daejeon: Industry-Academic Cooperation Foundation, Hanbat University; 2010.
- Ministry of Environment. Korean standard methods of water pollution. Gwacheon: Ministry of Environment; 2010.
- Lee KC, Choi BC, Lim BC. Pollutant control using the separation wall between stormwater and sewage in a combined sewer system. J. Korean Soc. Water Wastewater 2004;18:461-469.
- Lim BS, Kim DY, Lee KC. Effect and control of the sediment in the combined sewer on CSOs. J. Korean Soc. Water Qual. 2011;27:36-43.