- Volume 3 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Nonlinear Wave Forces on an Offshore Wind Turbine Foundation in Shallow Waters
- Choi, Sung-Jin ;
- Lee, Kwang-Ho ;
- Hong, Keyyoung ;
- Shin, Seong-Ho ;
- Gudmestad, O.T.
- Received : 2013.03.14
- Accepted : 2013.05.10
- Published : 2013.05.31
In this study, a 3D numerical model was used to predict nonlinear wave forces on a cylindrical pile installed in a shallow water region. The model was based on solving the viscous and incompressible Navier-Stokes equations for a two-phase flow (water and air) model and the volume of fluid method for treating the free surface of water. A new application was developed based on the cut-cell method to allow easy installation of complicated obstacles (e.g., bottom geometry and cylindrical pile) in a computational domain. Free-surface elevation, water particle velocities, and inline wave forces were calculated, and the results show good agreement with experimental data obtained by the Danish Hydraulic Institute. The simulation results revealed that the proposed model can, without the use of empirical formulas (i.e., Morison equation) and additional wave analysis models, reliably predict non-linear wave forces on an offshore wind turbine foundation installed in a shallow water region.
3D numerical model;Nonlinear wave force;Cylindrical pile;Volume of fluid method;Cut-cell method
- Chen X, Li Y, Teng B., Numerical and simplified methods for the calculation of the total horizontal wave force on a perforated caisson with a top cover, Coastal Engineering 54 (2007) 67-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2006.08.002
- Choi S.J, Gudmestad O.T, The effect of break-ing wave induced currents on an offshore wind turbine foundation. Fluid Structure Interaction VI:119-131, (2011).
- Chun I.S, Shim J.S, Choi S.J., Investigation on the design wave forces of ear-do ocean research station II: Fluid force in the breaking wave field, Journal of the Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, (2000) 168-180.
- DnV-RP-C205, Recommended Practice, Environmental Conditions and Environmental Loads, 44, 52-53, DET NORSKE VERITAS, Oslo, Norway (2007).
- Hinatsu M., Numerical simulation of unsteady viscous nonlinear waves using moving grid systems fitted on a free surface, J. Kansai Soc. Naval Archit., 217 (1992) 1-11.
- Hirt C.W., Nichols B.D., Volume of fluid meth-od for the dynamics of free boundaries, Journal of Computational Physics, 39(1) (1981) 201-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(81)90145-5
- Hirt C.W, Sicilian J.M., A porosity technique for the definition of obstacles in rectangular cell meshes, Proceedings of the 4th International conference on Numerical Ship Hydrodynamics, Washington D.C., 1-10 (1985).
- Hsu T.J., Sakakiyama T, Liu P.L-F., A numerical model for wave motions and turbulence flows in front of a composite breakwater. Coastal Engineering 46 (2002) 25-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-3839(02)00045-5
- ISO 19902, Petroleum and natural gas industries - Fixed steel offshore structures, CEM, Brussels, Belgium (2007).
- Kawasaki K, Iwata K., Numerical analysis of wave breaking due to submerged breakwater in three-dimensional wave fields, Proceedings of the Conference of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Copenhagen, Denmark, 853-866, (1998).
- Lee K.H., Mizutani N., A numerical wave tank using direct-forcing immersed boundary method and its application to wave force on a horizontal cylinder. Coastal Engineering Journal 51 (2009) 27-48. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0578563409001928
- Lee K.H., Park J.H., Baek D.J., Cho S., Kim D.S., Discussion on optimal shape for wave power converter using oscillating water column, Journal of the Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers 23(5) (2011) 345-357. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2011.23.5.345
- Roy D.J., Ghosh S., Wave force on vertical submerged circular thin plat in shallow water, Ocean Engineering 33 (2006) 1935-1953. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2005.09.010
- Smagorinsky J., General circulation experiments with the primitive equation. Monthly Weather Review 91(3) (1963) 99-164. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1963)091<0099:GCEWTP>2.3.CO;2
- Walkden M.J., Wood D.J., Bruce T., Peregrine D.H., Impulsive seaward loads induced by wave overtopping on caisson breakwaters, Coastal Engineering 42 (2001) 257-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-3839(00)00063-6
- Allied Engineering, User's Manual for Advanced Parallel AMG Version 1.3, Tokyo, (2011).
- Amsden A.A, Harlow F.H, A simplified MAC technique for incompressible fluid flow calculation, Journal of Computational Physics, 6 (1970) 322-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(70)90029-X
- API RP 2A-WSD, Recommended Practice for Planning, Designing and Constructing Fixed Offshore Platforms - Working Stress Design, Sections 1 & 2, American Petroleum Institute, Washington, USA, (2000).
- Brorsen M, Larsen J., Source generation of nonlinear gravity waves with the boundary in-tegral equation method, Coastal Engineering 11 (1987) 93-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-3839(87)90001-9
- CERC, Shore Protection Manual, Coastal Engineering Research Center, Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army, (1984).
- Deforming Fluid Domains Within the Finite Element Method: Five Mesh-Based Tracking Methods in Comparison vol.23, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11831-015-9143-2
- The effect of dynamic amplification due to a structure׳s vibration on breaking wave impact vol.96, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2014.11.012
- Analysis of unsteady flow over Offshore Wind Turbine in combination with different types of foundations vol.16, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11804-017-1414-x
- Wave Forces on the Composite Bucket Foundation of Offshore Wind Turbines vol.405-408, pp.1662-7482, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.405-408.1420