- Volume 50 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
ONLINE TEST BASED ON MUTUAL INFORMATION FOR TRUE RANDOM NUMBER GENERATORS
- Kim, Young-Sik (Department of Information and Communication Engineering, Chosun University) ;
- Yeom, Yongjin (Department of Mathematics, Kookmin University) ;
- Choi, Hee Bong (The Attached Institute of ETRI)
- Received : 2012.09.19
- Published : 2013.07.01
Shannon entropy is one of the widely used randomness measures especially for cryptographic applications. However, the conventional entropy tests are less sensitive to the inter-bit dependency in random samples. In this paper, we propose new online randomness test schemes for true random number generators (TRNGs) based on the mutual information between consecutive
online test;TRNG;random number generation;statistical test;Shannon entropy;mutual information
Supported by : National Security Research Institute (NSRI)
- M. Bucci and R. Luzzi, Design of Testable Random Bit Generators, in Proc. CHES 2005, LNCS, vol. 3659, pp. 147-156, 2005.
- J.-S. Coron, On the security of random sources, in Proc. PKC'99, LNCS, vol. 1560, pp. 29-42, 1999.
- J.-S. Coron, An accurate evaluation of Maurer's universal test, Selected areas in cryptogra-phy (Kingston, ON, 1998), 57-71, Lecture Notes in Comput. Sci., 1556, Springer, Berlin, 1999.
- T. M. Cover and J. A. Thomas, Elements of Information Theory, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1991.
- W. Killmann and W. Schindler, A proposal for: functionality classes and evaluation methodology for true (physical) random number generators, AIS.31 Version 3.1, Sep. 25, 2001.
- U. M. Maurer, A universal statistical test for random bit generators, J. Cryptology 5 (1992), no. 2, 89-105.
- W. Schindler, Efficient online tests for true random number generators, in IACR Work-shop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems, CHES 2001, LNCS., vol. 2162, pp. 103-117, Springer, Berlin, 2001.
- B. Sunar, W. Martin, and D. Stinson, A provably secure true random number generator with built-in tolerance to active attacks, IEEE Trans. Computers 56 (2007), no. 1, 109-119. https://doi.org/10.1109/TC.2007.250627
- E. Trichina, et al., Supplemental cryptographic hardware for smart cards, IEEE Micro. 21 (2001), no. 6, 26-35.
- I. Vasyltsov, et al., Fast digital TRNG based on metastable ring oscillator, in Proc. CHES 2008, LNCS, vol. 5154, pp. 164-180, 2008.