- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Studies on Growth Characteristics and Dry Matter Yield of Hybrid Corn Varieties in Daegwallyeong Region
대관령에서 옥수수 품종별 생육특성과 건물수량에 기후변화의 영향
- Kim, Meing Jooung (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Seo, Sung (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choi, Ki Choon (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Jong Geun (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Sang Hack (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Jung, Jeong Sung (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Yoon, Sei Hyung (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Ji, Hee Chung (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Myeong Hwa (Center for agrifood safety certification, Konkuk University)
- 김맹중 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 서성 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 최기춘 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 김종근 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 이상학 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 정종성 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 윤세형 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 지희정 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 김명화 (건국대학교 농식품안전인증센터)
- Received : 2013.05.07
- Accepted : 2013.06.12
- Published : 2013.06.30
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of climate change on the growth characteristics and dry matter yields of silage corn hybrids in fields of forage crops of Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA, from Apr. 2009 to Sep. 2011. Corn hybrids were cultivated in Daegwallyeong of Gangwon Province, at an altitude of 760 m. Corn varieties used in this study consisted of 5 domestic varieties and 5 foreign varieties. Differences of silk days according to years occurred at an average of 5.5 days. The silk periods of domestic varieties occurred from Aug. 8 to 12, while that of overseas varieties was from Aug. 5 to 11. Silk days of domestic varieties occurred approximately 3 to 4 days earlier than those of oversea varieties. Silk days of Kwangpyeongok and P3156 belonging to the early varieties were Aug. 8 and 5, respectively. Kwangpyeongok and P3156 were Aug. 8 and 5, respectively. Pyeonganok and DK729 belonged to late varieties. The mean plant height of corn was approximately 231 cm, while those of Kwangpyeongok and Pyeonganok were 236 cm and 237 cm, respectively. The mean stem diameter and ear height of corn were approximately 23.2 mm and 94 cm, respectively. In the case of stem diameters, those of Cheonganok and 33J56 were 86 cm and 80 cm, respectively, while Gangdaok grew to a greater height (enter height) than other varieties. Dry matter yields of Kwangpyeongok and Pyeonganok were higher than those of other varieties. The mean leaf ratio of corn was 39.3%, while that of domestic varieties increased as compared to foreign varieties. The average DM yield of corn was 16,653 kg/ha, while those of 32P75, P3156, Pyeonganok, P3394 and Kwangpyeongok were 18,901, 17,997, 17,675, 17,194, 17,188 kg/ha, respectively. Total digestible nutrient (TDN) yields of 32P75, P3156, P3394, Pyeonganok and Kwangpyeongok were 13,381, 12,590, 12,532, 12,140 and 12,036 kg/ha, respectively. Corn crude protein (CP), in vitro dry matter digestibility (IVDMD), neutral detergent fiber (NDF), acid detergent fiber (ADF) and TDN were 7.8%, 74.2%, 42.4%, 23.5% and 70.3%, respectively. In the case of nutritive values of corn, there was no significant difference between of corn varieties of domestic and foreign origin.
- Aldrich, S.R., Scott, W.O. and Hoeft, R.G. 1986. Modern corn production(3th ed.). A&L. Publications Inc. Station. Illinois.
- Alessi, J. and Power, J.F. 1971. Corn emergence in relation to soil temperature and seeding Depth. Agriculture Journal. 63:717-719.
- AOAC. 1990. Official method of analysis. 15th ed. Washington, DC.
- Blacklow, W.M. 1972. Influence of temperature on germination and elongation of the radicle and shoot of corn. Crop Science. 12:647-650. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1972.0011183X001200050028x
- Choe, Z.R., Joo, Y.K., Song, M.T., Oh, H.S. and Ann, D.W. 1990. Determination of Sowing Date for Silage Corn Based on Growing Degree Days and Soil Temperature. Journal of Crop Science and Biotechnology. 35:254-258.
- Giardini, A., Gaspari, F., Vecchiettini, M. and Schenoni, P. 1976. Effect of maize silage harvest stage on yield plant composition and fermentation losses. Animal Feed Science and Technology. 1:313-326. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(76)90095-X
- Han, S.Y. and Kim, D.J. 1993. Studies on the Rotation System to Forage Crop Cultivation at the Alpine Area. Journal of the Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 13:300-304.
- Han, S.Y. and Kim, D.J. 2000. Effect of the Double Cropping at High Altitude Area Which was Cultivated Suitable Forage Crop. Journal of the Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 20:147-154.
- Kim, D.A., Lee, K.N., Shil, D.E., Kim, J.D. and Han, K.J. 1996. Effect of Planting Date on Forage Yield and Quality of corn Four Maturity Groups. Journal of the Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 16:327-337.
- Kim, M.H., Kim, M.J., Lee, S.R. and Lee, S.H. 2011. This Relationship between Climatic conditions and Growth characteristic of the grass in Alpine regions of Korea. The Geographical Journal of Korea. 45:137-147.
- Kim, M.J., Lee, S.H., Chang, S.S., Kim, T.I., Choi, S.H., Cho, W.M., Hong, S.G., Lee, S.R. and Kim, M.H. 2011. Effect of the Climatic Condition on the Growth Characteristic of Domestic Corn Hybrids in Alpine Region. Journal of the Society of Grassland and Forage Science 31:371-382. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2011.31.4.371
- Kim, J.G. and Voigtlaender, G. 1985. Studies on Reserved Carbohydrates and NEL (Net energy Lactation) in Corn and Sorghum I. Synthesis and Accumulation Pattern of Fructosan, Mono-and Disaccharose. Journal of the Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 5:45-52.
- Korea Meteorological administration. Weather services : http://www. kma.go.kr/weather/ observation/past_cal.jsp
- Lee, J.K., Park, H.S., Chung, J.W., Kim, J.G., Lim, Y.C., Kim, Y.G., Lee, S.C., Jung, J.R. and Sung, K.I. 2005. Effect of the Planting Densities and Nitrogen Levels on the Growth Characteristics, Dry Matter Yield and Nutritive Value of Corn for Silage in Alpine Areas. Journal of the Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 25:239-244. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2005.25.4.239
- Lee, J.K., Park, H.S., Chung, J.W., Na, K.J., Seo, S., Sung, K.I., Jung, J.R. and Cho, K.S. 2004. Effect of Herbicide Combination on Agronomic Characteristics, Dry matter Yield, Nutritive Value and Weed Control of Silage Corn in Alpine Area. Journal of the Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 24:37-42. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2004.24.1.037
- Lee, J.K., Park, H.S., Kim, Y.G., Chung, J.W., Na, K.J., Kim, M.C., Lee, S.C. and Yook, W.B. 2004. Effect of the Seeding and Harvesting Dates on the Growth Characteristics, Dry Matter Yield and Quality of Corn for Silage in Alpine Areas. Journal of the Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 24:115-122. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2004.24.2.115
- Lim, Y.C., Chung, C.W., Han, S.Y., Choi, G.J. and Rim, Y.W. 2001. Growth Characters and Productivities of Corn Varieties at Deakwanryoung District of Korea. Journal of the Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 21:39-44.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. 2010.
- Rohweder, D.A., Barnes, R.F. and Joegensen, N. 1978. Proposed hay grading standards based on laboratory analyses for evaluating quality. Journal of Animal Science. 47:748-759.
- Son, B.Y., Kim, J.T., Lee, J.S., Baek, S.B., Kim, W.H. and Kim, J.D. 2010. Comparison of Growth Characteristics and Yield of Silage Corn Hybrids by Different Planting Dates at Paddy and Upland Field. Journal of the Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 30:237-246 . https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2010.30.3.237
- Son, B.Y., Kim, S.L., Jung, T.W., Song, S.Y., Kim, C.K., Kim, S.J., Ji, H.J., Huh, C.S. and Park, J.Y. 2009. A New Single Cross Maize Hybrid for Silage, "Pyeonganok". Plant Breeding and Biotechnology Journal of Korea. 41:310-313.
- Son, B.Y., Moon, H.G., Jung, T.W., Kim, S.J. and Kim, J.D. 2006. Comparison of Agronomic Characteristics, Yield and Feed Value of Different Corn Hybrids for Silage. Journal of Crop Science and Biotechnology. 51:233-238.