- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Growth Characteristics and Productivity of Single Cross Maize New Hybrid for Silage and Grain, 'Yanganok'
사료용 옥수수 신품종 '양안옥'의 생육특성 및 수량성
- Son, Beom Young ;
- Baek, Seong Bum ;
- Kim, Jung Tae ;
- Lee, Jin Seok ;
- Ku, Ja Hwan ;
- Kim, Sun Lim ;
- Jung, Gun Ho ;
- Kwon, Young Up ;
- Ji, Hee Jung ;
- Huh, Chang Suk ;
- Park, Jong Yeol
- Received : 2013.05.01
- Accepted : 2013.05.15
- Published : 2013.06.30
Yanganok, a new single cross variety, was developed by the maize breeding team at the National Institute of Crop Science (NICS), RDA in 2012. This hybrid, which has a high yield of grain was produced by crossing two inbred lines, KS164 and KS163. KS164 is the seed parent and KS163 is the pollen parent of Yanganok. It is a yellow-orange intermediate maize hybrid (Zea mays L.). After a preliminary yield trial and advanced yield trial of Yanganok (Suwon180) in Suwon for 2 years, a regional yield trial was carried out for its growth characteristics, and yields were determined at 4 different locations from 2009 to 2012, with the exception of 2010. It was named 'Yanganok'. The silking date of Yanganok is 2 days earlier than that of the check hybrid, Kwangpyeongok. Plant height of Yanganok is similar to Kwangpyeongok, but its ear height ratio is higher than that of Kwangpyeongok. It has resistance to lodging. Stay-green features of Yanganok are similar to those of Kwangpyeongok. The ear ratio of Yanganok is similar to Kwangpyeongok. It has moderate resistance to southern leaf blight (Bipolaris maydis) and strong resistance to northern leaf blight (Exserohilum turcicum). It has moderate resistance to black streaked dwarf virus (BSDV), ear lot and corn borer. The dry matter yield of Yanganok, 17.45 ton/ha, was similar to that of Kwangpyeongok. The total digestible nutrients (TDN) yield of Yanganok, 11.96 ton/ha, was similar to that of Kwangpyeongok. The grain yield of Yanganok, 8.32 ton/ha was similar to that of Jangdaok. Seed production of Yanganok went well due to a good match during crossing between the seed parent, KS164, and the pollen parent, KS163, in Yeongwol, and F1 seed yield was 1.79 ton/ha. Yanganok would be a suitable cultivar to all plain areas in the Korean peninsula.
Maize;Crossing;Dry matter;TDN;Grain;Yield;Seed production
- Holland, C., Kezar, W., Kautz, W.P., Lazowski, E.J., Mahanna, W.C. and Reinhart, R. 1990. The Pioneer forage manual : A nutritional guide. Pioneer Hi-Bred Int., Des Moines, IA.
- Kim, S.K., Han, Y.S., Park, K.Y., Park, S.U., Moon, H.G., Choi, H.O. and Brewbaker, J.L. 1978. Disease, insect, and lodging resistance super high yielding maize hybrid, "Suweon 19". Rural Development Administration Journal Agriculture Science. 20 (Crop):149-156.
- Lee, S.S. and Lee, J.M. 1987. Productivity of silage corn hybrids in rice black-streaked dwarf virus prevalent region. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 7:140-145.
- Lee, S.S., Park, K.Y., Park, S.U. and Lee, S.S. 1988. Population of Laodelphax striatellus, percentage of rice black-streaked dwarf virus (RBSDV) viruliferous vector and RBSDV infection of maize in different locations. Korean Journal of Crop Science. 33:74-80.
- Moon, H.G., Son, B.Y., Cha, S.W., Jung, T.W., Lee, Y.H., Seo, J.H., Min, H.K., Choi, K.J., Huh, C.S. and Kim, S.D. 2001. A new single cross hybrid for silage "Kwangpyeongok". Korean Journal of Breeding Science. 33:350-351.
- Son, B.Y., Moon, H.G., Jung, T.W., Park, N.K., Kim, S.K., Cha, S.W., Rye, Y.H., Sung, B.R., Huh, C.S. and Ryu, S.H. 2004. A new single cross maize hybrid cultivar, "Jangdaok" for grain and silage. Korean Journal of Breeding Science. 36:185-186.
- Son, B.Y., Moon, H.G., Jung, T.W., Kim, S.J., Sung, B.R., Huh, C.S. and Ryu, S.H. 2006a. A new corn hybrid cultivar, "Gangdaok" for silage. Korean Journal of Breeding Science. 38:149-150.
- Son, B.Y., Moon, H.G., Jung, T.W., Kim, S.J. and Kim, J.D. 2006b. Comparison of agronomic characteristics, yield and feed value of different corn hybrids for silage. Korean Journal of Crop Science. 51:233-238.
- Son, B.Y., Kim, J.T., Song, S.Y., Baek, S.B., Kim, C.K. and Kim, J.D. 2009. Comparison of yield and forage quality of silage corns of different planting dates. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 29:179-186. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2009.29.3.179