- Volume 8 Issue 4
This paper proposes a novel design for a compact, high-isolation WCDMA indoor repeater antenna. The proposed antenna consists of a patch antenna and metamaterial absorber. The required WCDMA bandwidth is obtained by utilizing the coupling between the main and the parasitic patches. In addition, high isolation is achieved using the metamaterial absorber, which has an absorption of about 98% at 2.1 GHz. Overall, the proposed antenna has a gain of over 7 dBi, a Voltage Standing Wave Ratio (VSWR) of less than 2, more than 85 dB of isolation between the service and donor antennas over the WCDMA band and a total volume of the proposed antenna only
Absorber;Antenna;Isolation enhancement;Metamaterial;WCDMA indoor repeater
- Q. Gao, Y. Yin, D. B. Yan, and N. C. Yuan, "Application of metamaterials to ultra-thin radar-absorbing material design," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 17, pp. 936-937, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20051239
- C. Y. Chiu, C. H. Cheng, R. D. Murch, and C. R. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, pp. 1732-1738, 2011.
- D. Ahn, J. S. Park, C. S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, A design of the lowpass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 86-93, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.899965
- Landy, N. I., S. Sajuyigbe, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and W. J. Padilla, "A perfect metamaterial absorber," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 100, 207402, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.100.207402
- Wang, J., S. Qu, Z. Xu, Z. Fu, H. Ma, Y. Yang, X. Wu, and M. Hao, "Three-dimensional metamaterial microwave absorber composed of coplanar magnetic and electric resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, pp. 15-24, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIERL09012003
- D. R. Smith, D. C. Vier, Th. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Electromagnetic parameter retrieval from inhomogeneous metamaterial," Physical Review E, Vol. 71, No. 3, 2005.
- Slingsby W. T., Nesic D., and Mcgeehan J. P., "Antenna isolation measurements for on-frequency radio repeaters," IEEE Int. Conference Antennas Propagation, pp. 239-243, 1995.
- Maeyama T., and Inoue T., "Development of Cellular Repeater System with Radio Echo Suppresser," Electronics and Communications, Vol. 89, pp. 32-41, 2006.
- Mohd Marzuki, A. S., Abd Rahim, A. R., Mohmd, B., Khalil, K., Naemat, A., and Tee, A., "Antenna Isolation Considerations in WCDMA Repeater Depolyment," International RF and Microwave Conference Proceedings, pp. 347-350, 2006.
- Zhu, F. G., Xu, J. D., and Xu, Q., "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements using defected ground structure," Electronics Letters, pp. 601-602, 2009.
- Sievenpiper , D., Zhang, L., Jimenez Broas, R. F., Alexopolous, N. G., and Yablonovitch, E., "Highimpedance electro-magnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, pp. 2059-2074, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.798001
- N. Michishita, H. Arai and Y. Kimura, "Mutual coupling characteristics of choke loaded patch array antenna," IEICE Trans. Commun., Vol. E88-B, No. 1, pp. 411-415, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1093/ietcom/E88-B.1.411
- Sung-Joo Kim, Frances J. Harackiewicz, Myun-Joo Park, Taekyun Kim, Woojae Jung, Jeongkwan Lee, and Byungje Lee, "Isolation Enhancement Between Two Closely Mounted Antennas for Indoor Repeater System," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 697-700, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.25806
- Xi, S., H. Chen, B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental confirmation of guidance properties using planar anisotropic left-handed metamaterial slabs based on S-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, pp. 279-287, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER08062105
- Ramprecht, J., M. Norgren, and D. Sjoberg, "Scattering from a thin magnetic layer with a periodic lateral magnetization: Application to electromagnetic absorbers," Progress In Electromagnet ics Research, Vol. 83, pp. 199-224, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER08042805
- Zhou, H., Z. Pei, S. Qu, S. Zhang, J. Wang, Q. Li, and Z. Xu, "A planar zero-index metamaterial for directive emission," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, pp. 953-962, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1163/156939309788355289
- Y.-Q. Li, Y.-Q. Fu, and N.-C. Yuan, "Characteristics estimation for high-impedance surfaces based ultrathin radar absorber," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 7, pp. 1775-1778, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.24453
- Reduction of the spatially mutual coupling between dual-polarized patch antennas using coupled metamaterial slabs vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1038/srep30288
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)